2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 466 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Azikin

Medalist
There has been quite a bit of discourse about the ladies assignments this season and I do not think there were any conspiracies or the RusFed was favoring one camp over another. If we look at the original assignments this so called favoritism did not exist.

Really? And I thought Tarakanova was obviously out of favor.. :scratch2:

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
I think FFKKR reckons with 'scoring potential' more than with actual achieved scores. Chelyabinsk stage was judged 'friendly' towards the Russian competitors, much to the favour of Vasil'yeva.
A clean Usachyova outscores Vasil'yeva (and Lee), but a clean Usachyova is perhaps a smaller possibility than a clean Vasil'yeva at this moment in their development?

Perhaps FFKKR wants to 'harden' Usachyova since she is just in her 2nd international assignment? I think FFKKR is looking towards the future as a whole, where 'bigger' girls have less a chance with the advent of ultra-si elements and the personal sacrifices that the 'bigger' girls need to make to remain in shape for quads and triksels? Looking into the future is impossible of course, and no doubt FFKKR will evaluate its distribution of skaters, but the race is almost run. Wether any strings were pulled, sticks were stuck in some wheels or documents were 'forgotten' will forever remain a secret for us fans. We can only wonder, argue and anger ourselves ;-)
Daria has been clean so few times vs Vasilieva basically all the time so I don't get the part about Daria outscoring her. Imo even with the "favourable" scoring in Chelyabinsk, Viktoria beats Daria these 2 times. And I don't think it's really different in practice.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Zagitova, like Medvyedeva, will appear on a show in the middle of the season. Is this normal?

World champion Mariya Butyrskaya answers.

The other day, producer Yevgeniy Voltov announced that the current Olympic champion Alina Zagitova will take part in the New Year's show of Tat'yana Navka, which will premiere on December 27 at the Megasport ice arena in Moscow. At the same time, Yevgeniya Medvedev will play the main role in the show of Il'ya Averbukh in late December. Of course, the question immediately arises for everyone: how will the skaters cope with such loads and can they combine business with pleasure? Indeed, at the end of December, the Russian championship will be held in Krasnoyarsk, according to its results it will be decided who will enter the national team and go to the European and World Championships.

What our skaters have planned and why they should appear on the show at the height of the season, we’ll try to figure it out now.

Of course, the most important thing for athletes of this level is quality preparation for the competition and well-planned rest. Many talk about the loads, but no one thinks that the show is the very element of relaxation: a reboot, a change of scenery, emotions that the skaters need so much during the busy time before the difficult season.

You can cite the example of the show “Fantasy on Ice” in Japan - it did not stop the girls from successfully preparing for the Open Test Skates. On the contrary, it was clear that the change of scenery went to Alina Zagitova's benefit: the skater shone in a completely new way, she freed herself, gained great confidence. And the audience felt that Alina herself enjoys her skating. Of course, the Japanese public also played a role, which is simply impossible not to mention, but the public in Russia is no worse: everyone is proud of our skaters, loves them and supports them both in arenas and on social networks.

The love of fans provides service to athletes in any kind of sport, and for young girls, whose psyche is very mobile, this is especially necessary. The show in Russia is a great opportunity for Zhenya and Alina to be filled with energy and gain even more skill in the presentation of their programs.

Former figure skater, and now the host of the program "Figurka" Emma Gadzhiyeva shares this opinion.

- In fact, it is very cool that we will see our stars in Russia, in these shows. Our viewer will be able to enjoy their skating. I don’t see anything wrong with the fact that the dates of the Russian championship and the show literally go one after another. The girls are in shape, they are ready physically, and what to say about morally - you go out to the show, where a huge hall supports you, loves you and wishes you all the best. No need to not skate a short and free program, as in competitions, there are no judges, but a holiday atmosphere. I am sure all the girls will go out to perform for our viewers immediately after the Championships of Russia.

It should be noted that the official statement of the presence of Zhenya and Alina in the show does not guarantee that the audience will be lucky to see them on ice on the very day for which they bought tickets. It is possible that the girls will go on the ice only a few times, so fans should be more careful when buying tickets, because the star they want to look at can do their professional career that day, preparing for important competitions. This position is shared by the first Russian world champion in women's single skating, Mariya Butyrskaya.

- I assure you, this is likely to be a one-time performance. Often there are some demonstrations after the competition, here it is almost the same. This is normal. The girls are strong. Of course, it’s hard for me to believe that Zhenya and Alina will fully participate in the show on an ongoing basis. So do not worry, everything will be fine. They will perform at the Russian Championship and skate in the show.

Emma Gadzhiyeva also spoke about the duration of the skaters ’performances:

“ As for the duration, I think it will be some part of the January holidays, a few days in January, because the European Championship will be held already at the end of January, and they will need to get ready. I think that preparation for the show will not affect preparation for the competition. I am sure the number of rehearsals and their time has been agreed upon beforehand. Yes, and the champions, masters of their craft, obviously do not need a lot of time to memorise the necessary movements. "

Many fans fear the girls will not be able to prepare well for the Russian Championship if they are simultaneously involved in a show. But do not forget that the show is not aimed at higher levels of sequences and multi-turn jumps. A show is primarily a beautiful performance for the audience without numerous complex elements, so it’s easy for skaters of Zhenya's and Alina's level to learn the production in a short time and rehearse it to shine.

Of course, the last, but no less important reason for participating in the show in the middle of the season is its commercial basis. We all know that in figure skating, athletes spend a lot of money on costumes, music, trainers, ice rental and other expenses. Skaters need to earn money, because their sport is not tennis with millions in prize pools. Therefore, skaters open their academies, recruit children for individual lessons or participate in shows. To enjoy the holiday on ice, recharge your emotions from the fans and at the same time get financial benefits - this is the best option for our skaters to mark the end of the 2020 National Championships.
----
From: https://sport24.ru/news/other/2019-...shou-tatyany-navki-podrobnosti-foto-instagram

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Alexandra Trusova, preparing to the Japan Open 2019:
https://m.vk.com/video-97272391_456243230

Will we see 4S again?

Now that her quad toe and quad lutz are more consistent we might see the quad salchow again. As long as she has time to do it in the warmup. If Sasha is struggling with another quad in the warmup her team would probably pull the salchow out of her routine. Sasha probably has two different layouts for her routine. One is the scenario for a perfect warmup and a clean skate, the other for if she is having some trouble. I hope that she does the quad salchow bc then she would be releasing four dragons at the beginning of her routine:devil:

katymay

Medalist
Now that her quad toe and quad lutz are more consistent we might see the quad salchow again. As long as she has time to do it in the warmup. If Sasha is struggling with another quad in the warmup her team would probably pull the salchow out of her routine. Sasha probably has two different layouts for her routine. One is the scenario for a perfect warmup and a clean skate, the other for if she is having some trouble. I hope that she does the quad salchow bc then she would be releasing four dragons at the beginning of her routine:devil:

The 4S is beautiful and easy. I hope she can fit it in somewhere. I don't think Trusova ever pulls jumps-except for one occasion that I can remember where she did a 3L3T instead of the 3L3Loop. I've seen warmups where she falls on every quad attempt-something that would shake up a mere mortal skater. I'm thinking...Ut Oh...and yet, she will go for it despite a bad warmup. She is fearless and she is gutsy, and she never opts for the safe route, even when everything is at stake.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
She is fearless and she is gutsy, and she never opts for the safe route, even when everything is at stake.

I like what you said here about Aleksandra. She is brave for sure.

However, does this make her a good competitor, in the sense of strategist? She needs to be able to think on her feet, to improvise, which she has proven she can do. However, since the quads give her a huge TES advantage, they also take a lot out of her, both in energy and running time, she still needs to learn to make the best out of her skating run till the finishing pose. Imagine a four quad routine even ....

It will be most interesting to see what #TeamTutberidzeForProgress come up with in variations on Aleksandra's free program and what her own input will be.

ruga

Final Flight
I love Sasha's 4S! It has pretty nice height and takeoff. If she does include it she will be nearly unbeatable. Though doing four quads in the same program should be very exhausting.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

I think that a perfect warm-up is one part of the story. The second one is her stamina. She showed 2 skates with 3 perfect quads and both times there were problems with the loop combo. If she adds the fourth quad will her legs survive the rest of the program?

But in any case imagine that just 5 years ago after Sochi someone would start a discussion whether a lady should include 4 quad jumps in her program. It would be surreal. Trusova made the revolution in ladies figure skating and although we don't feel it yet I am sure quite soon it will be figure skating before and after Sasha Trusova.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Japan has withdrawn Mitsuike from Enga. They won't be sending an entry. So basically Viktoria is screwed unless Frolova can figure out a way to beat Park. I hate everything.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Woah woah woah, don’t be so sure Frolova won’t beat Park. Sure, Frolova’s FS at Zagreb was a little weak, but she’s had some rather good performances and even if she falls once she can make it to 190, if not higher. Yeonjeong’s maximum is probably 188 (she only got 186 with one shaky landing).

Ziotic

Medalist
Woah woah woah, don’t be so sure Frolova won’t beat Park. Sure, Frolova’s FS at Zagreb was a little weak, but she’s had some rather good performances and even if she falls once she can make it to 190, if not higher. Yeonjeong’s maximum is probably 188 (she only got 186 with one shaky landing).
Yea but she got 186 being a no reputation first timer on JGP. If clean, she will likely see her marks improve.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Japan has withdrawn Mitsuike from Enga. They won't be sending an entry. So basically Viktoria is screwed unless Frolova can figure out a way to beat Park. I hate everything.

That was unfortunate. Hopefully Gutmann from Italy might be of help. She skated well at Nepela. But I suppose we depend on Frolova here and she can do it.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Any reason given? JPN essentially gave up, they didn't have their best showing this JGP, solidly beaten by KOR.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I still she her on the music rotation sheet and on the total series standings listed for this weekend, but she is not listed on the entry list anymore. Perhaps an injury?

If Frolova makes just 1 less mistake than she did this past weekend she should place 2nd (assuming Ksenia wins).

Elucidus

Match Penalty

Most likely no. Just remember typical multiquadsters layouts - noone was gonna jump 4 quads at once. It's too physically tasking to jump 4 fully rotated quads without rest. If 4S will be added - it will be later in the program.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Any reason given? JPN essentially gave up, they didn't have their best showing this JGP, solidly beaten by KOR.
Frolova is pretty inconsistent and she always was (two clean programs is near impossible for her) - while junior Korean skaters known already for their consistency. That, and while they UR frequently - judges have tendency to overlook it. As for PCS - to level others with Russians - judges already established particular pattern in assisting clean skaters from other countries (which is true only for ladies skating btw - men are assessed fairly and noone are even surprised when clean skater with quads loses to one with only triples and falls but better program there). In other words boring empty programs with minimum transitions and junior emotionless skating assessed by them as equal to much more complex and emotional, packed with transitions Russian programs in PCS department. The same can be said about jumps GOEs - while Russians need to do complex entries to deserve some GOEs - others are getting the same or better GOEs without them. Very graphic example would be comparison between Lee's and Usacheva's protocols from last comp - and their real skates.
Therefore all that Park needed to do to ensure her winning over Frolova is just to not fall - which is absolutely real for her. And even with two silver medals she is gonna win over Vasilieva despite losing in scores to her.

Unfortunately there are bad news about OG 2022 prospects for our beloved Russian ladies. Due to recent new developements of old Sochi's doping scandal
https://www.sports.ru/athletics/1078671638.html
it's highly likely that Russia will be banned from two OG cycles according to IOC rules. And even neutral status for Russian athletes is doubtful - considering recidivistic trait of that crime.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Russian juniors have been a disappointment so far as the Koreans and Liu have bested them or threatened them. The Korean, Japanese and American ladies seem to survive puberty better to be blunt. (in general). I am not sure Trusova will make it to 2022. We see what happened to Lipinskaya, Sotnikova, Pogooloraya, Radinova, Tsurskaya, Evgenia, Maria, Sofia, and even Alina is struggling with growth. Whereas Lius looks to be gaining strengt as well as the Yuna Kim inspired Koreans.

SkateSkates

Medalist
The Russian juniors have been a disappointment so far as the Koreans and Liu have bested them or threatened them. The Korean, Japanese and American ladies seem to survive puberty better to be blunt. (in general). I am not sure Trusova will make it to 2022. We see what happened to Lipinskaya, Sotnikova, Pogooloraya, Radinova, Tsurskaya, Evgenia, Maria, Sofia, and even Alina is struggling with growth. Whereas Lius looks to be gaining strengt as well as the Yuna Kim inspired Koreans.

Alina was struggling through growth last season but seems to be adjusted to her new body now, which could be seen at test skates where she looked the most confident since the Olympic season. We will see her again this weekend but I don’t expect her to continue having growth related struggles this year.

Regarding Trusova - we don’t know when/how much more she will grow. She has clearly grown taller and gained strength vs last year, which seems to have actually helped her quads. Her timing on the lutz-loop might be a little off temporarily as she adjusts to her new height but I don’t see her having too many growth related struggles this season. Next year might be harder for her puberty wise but I think she will make it through, just like Liza did, Alina did, etc. she has an incredibly strong and determined mind, which is a huge factor and I think will help her navigate through any growth related struggles she may have.