2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 566 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- if Russia doesn't get extra spots in Rhythmic Gymnastics or Synchronized Swimming, it's for sure not going to get them in Figure Skating, either. For that matter, China doesn't get extra spots in diving, either. Part of keeping judged sports relevant/profitable throughout the world depends on including, well, the world.

Will it be heartbreaking to see at least one or two skaters who "deserve" to be at Worlds not go? Sure. But the specialness of the medal is in part due to the exclusivity of even being there.

Actually, that reminds me -- somebody here suggested more "A" tier competitions, for skaters to get more medals. The problem then becomes one of inflation -- the medals become less special. Fact is, there are already many skating competitions in Russia and throughout the world. The whole reason "A" tier competitions are special is because there are few of them.

lusterfan

Final Flight
In the event that 4A are all mostly clean and Alina ends up marginally behind the other three, would RusFed honor that and send 3A, or would they slide Alina in on the basis of her body of work? I'm just trying to think about how they would justify sending 1, 2, 4 (aside from holding a skate off at Rus Cup Final, but that could lead to even more confusion).

I think 4A have clearly separated themselves from Evgenia and Tuktamysheva for now (pretty much going to assume Sofia and Stasya are non-contenders now), so it makes it slightly easier. However, if we see some splats and meltdowns and favorites like Trusova or Alina end up below Evgenia and Tuktamysheva, I wonder if they would honor that.

We say this every year, but this year, nationals will truly be a bloodbath. :drama:

Amei

Record Breaker
In the event that 4A are all mostly clean and Alina ends up marginally behind the other three, would RusFed honor that and send 3A, or would they slide Alina in on the basis of her body of work? I'm just trying to think about how they would justify sending 1, 2, 4 (aside from holding a skate off at Rus Cup Final, but that could lead to even more confusion).

I think 4A have clearly separated themselves from Evgenia and Tuktamysheva for now (pretty much going to assume Sofia and Stasya are non-contenders now), so it makes it slightly easier. However, if we see some splats and meltdowns and favorites like Trusova or Alina end up below Evgenia and Tuktamysheva, I wonder if they would honor that.

We say this every year, but this year, nationals will truly be a bloodbath. :drama:

If I remember correctly the only finisher at Nationals that is guaranteed a spot at Europeans and/or Worlds is the 1st place winner and the other 2 spots can be made by a coach's council.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
It’s seriously a travesty that the reigning champ doesn’t get a bye to worlds. I predict Anna will add another quad / axel. Unfortunately for Alina (one of my absolute favorites) like last year at nationals I can definitely see the 3A on the podium. Is Kamila a senior at nationals this year?

Scott512

Record Breaker
I've said it before and I'll say it again -- if Russia doesn't get extra spots in Rhythmic Gymnastics or Synchronized Swimming, it's for sure not going to get them in Figure Skating, either. For that matter, China doesn't get extra spots in diving, either. Part of keeping judged sports relevant/profitable throughout the world depends on including, well, the world.

Will it be heartbreaking to see at least one or two skaters who "deserve" to be at Worlds not go? Sure. But the specialness of the medal is in part due to the exclusivity of even being there.

Actually, that reminds me -- somebody here suggested more "A" tier competitions, for skaters to get more medals. The problem then becomes one of inflation -- the medals become less special. Fact is, there are already many skating competitions in Russia and throughout the world. The whole reason "A" tier competitions are special is because there are few of them.

Please dont compare figure skating one of the greatest and toughest sports in the world to rythmic gymnastics. Thanks in advance!

The idea in the sports world is to get better and figure skating is getting better thanks to the athletes. We need more cream of the crop to push the sport forward not less. I just hope we all realize what we are seeing in 4A and others. Its very special. Especially from not only one country but from 1 club. Amazing. I hope it lasts a long time. But only time will tell.

Scott512

Record Breaker
It’s seriously a travesty that the reigning champ doesn’t get a bye to worlds. I predict Anna will add another quad / axel. Unfortunately for Alina (one of my absolute favorites) like last year at nationals I can definitely see the 3A on the podium. Is Kamila a senior at nationals this year?
I agree. But dont hold your breath on the bye thingy. ;) It would be so good for the sport though.

No to Kamila.

le01

Rinkside

Even though I’d prefer 3As to be sent to the worlds I have a feeling federation will find a way to reserve a place for Alina (they got pretty creative last year with Medvedeva). Anna’s quads are not always consistent so unfortunately I think she’s the weak link

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Even though I’d prefer 3As to be sent to the worlds I have a feeling federation will find a way to reserve a place for Alina (they got pretty creative last year with Medvedeva). Anna’s quads are not always consistent so unfortunately I think she’s the weak link

Just for the chaos, I hope Anna wins nationals again since they can’t leave the champion off the world team. Agreed that at the moment she’s the least consistent, but she really lights up the room with her skating. She skates from the soul 🥰

Please dont compare figure skating one of the greatest and toughest sports in the world to rythmic gymnastics. Thanks in advance!

The idea in the sports world is to get better and figure skating is getting better thanks to the athletes. We need more cream of the crop to push the sport forward not less. I just hope we all realize what we are seeing in 4A and others. Its very special. Especially from not only one country but from 1 club. Amazing. I hope it lasts a long time. But only time will tell.

At the risk of going slightly off-topic, rhythmic gymnastics (and synchronized swimming, and diving) are extremely difficult.

But if you are from a country that doesn't respect rhythmic gymnastics, feel free to focus on the other judged sports listed rather than dismissing the point due to a personal distaste for one of the examples.

voolfee

On the Ice
Even though I’d prefer 3As to be sent to the worlds I have a feeling federation will find a way to reserve a place for Alina (they got pretty creative last year with Medvedeva).

Why do some people think that Alina will have some kind of support from the RusFed? This isn't at all like with Medvedeva. I don't think that for RusFed there is a difference between 3A and Alina. I’m even worried that 3A will be judged too well at Nationals and will not allow Alina to compete with them normally.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

I don't know why figure skating should be driven by the deterrent examples from elsewhere :)
Whether there would be 3 or 4 russian girls at worlds the gold medal won't be ounce less exclusive because of it. It will be just more deserved, because the winner would be entitled to say that she won over the very best.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Did RusNats take place already? Or something happened to Alina? I had to overslept something, because when I woke up this morning, I saw the group of gravediggers. But I believe it was just a bad dream, people can't make the same mistake two times in a row, right? :devil:

Grin

Medalist

I can't agree with that. If 12 athletes will take part in GPF instead of 6 it won't make GPF champion title less special. It will make this title even more valuable.

Decoder

On the Ice

Out of the 4A, there are four possibilities to form a world team of three, and any of them is fine with me. The situation with Alina is completely different from that of Medvedeva - Alina has already won all the major titles. She is also in excellent conditions (at least so far as we've seen). I don't think there is a need for any special treat.

Decoder

On the Ice
Did RusNats take place already? Or something happened to Alina? I had to overslept something, because when I woke up this morning, I saw the group of gravediggers. But I believe it was just a bad dream, people can't make the same mistake two times in a row, right? :devil:

Cool comment! :agree:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I hope Serafima seizes her chance again and gets a good SB.

I agree. It will be hard for her to get into the top 5 at Skate Canada but the placing doesn't really matter - it's the score. And then she will have another chance for a good SB at Warzaw Cup.

monochrom3

On the Ice

Really doubt that will be the case with Alina. She won Olympic gold the season before and she had an injury (burn) — that would have been reason enough for the Fed to grant her an exemption from RusNats last year (and the competitive pool of seniors was much smaller then than now). But she didn’t get a bye then, why would she get a bye now?