2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 576 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I completely agree. I’d feel the same if 3a was not allowed but a quad combo was. It is very unfair.

I too dislike this rule. But it is not "unfair". Because:
1. Everyone knew this rule well in advance
2. It is applied equally to everyone
3. Nobody is stopping anyone from learning a triple axel

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Medvedeva needs to skate outside of Canada next season seems she gets jinxed there, also she should hope she gets a Cup of Russia inflation so she gets 2 GP assignments next season. I dont think she has high chance of making the Worlds or Euros team, she is more inconsistent now than Zagitova was last season. Shes done.
Funny many said that last year too before she medalled at worlds, [emoji6]

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Sasha!!! I was so scared after that 4S, but boy is she mentally strong to do THREE quads after crashing the first. And the quad combo in the second half out of a spiral is beyond. And even with the fall, she's broken more records! She finally got that 100+ in TES she's been wanting. I wish she didn't get so much hate, but what can you do. I'm so happy she's had such a great Senior GP debut. I can also see efforts to improve interpretation and skating skills, and I don't think she's as bad as people say she is. But go Sasha! she has won her more difficult assignment, and is really doing great. The quad toes this season are just magnificent, and I'm sure she'll get the sal next time. Even if she doesn't and goes back to three, she's fine. But I think she'll go for it at some point to get those records (4 quads, three different quads). Today she did become the first to do a quad in the second half, first to do a quad + eu + 3s combo, and first to do two quad combinations for ladies. She sets records every time she skates!

And what a comeback in the free for Evgenia. The poor girl had a tough field though, and that short was rough. Looks like she won't really have a shot at GPF. She'd have to win Rostelecom to even have a shot, and thats only if Liza underperforms in China, or if one of Zagitova/Kostornaia underperforms. And it would be super hard for her to beat Sasha. Her score today with pretty much the best fp she can do was 20 points lower than Sasha with a fall. She would have to be at her best along with a complete meltdown from Sasha for that to happen.

The good news for Liza is that if she gets second or better at China, she'll be above both Bradie and Evgenia in the standings. And with Liza's 3A consistency + the field at China, thats looking more and more possible. The only thing to look out for for Liza would probably be Young You getting a second assignment and getting Silver somewhere. Thats unlikely give the fields at the remaining events, but I could see it happening at China or even Russia, although Russia is unlikely to invite her. Either way, Liza is definitely for sure in the running for GPF. The situation is also looking good though for whichever one of Kihira/Zagitova/Kostornaia gets third (if they end up being the podium) at NHK.

lusterfan

Final Flight

I'm not sure why everyone declares her done so quickly. At least from a scoring standpoint, she's inconsistent but they're mainly flukes. She bombed her SP but nailed her FS (3rd highest in the FS!). Even when she "imploded" last year at nationals, she was the highest scoring senior in the FS (which most people just conveniently forget and latch onto the SP as a weapon). Bombing her SP's will not get her onto teams, but this proves she's nowhere near done, at least technically. She just needs to up her focus and she will still stay relevant at the very least.

starla16

Medalist
Not sure if she will manage to win russian cup final this year though

the difference this time is no need for a skate off because the results in GP will speak for itself they now have 3 more extra new ladies
last year they had struggles with both Zagitova and Med, Tuk was basically the one in upper trajectory but got hit by pneumonia stopping her momentum.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Not sure if she will manage to win russian cup final this year though
It also depends on rusnat, if I hear Tracy's commentary right the problem was that in the sp zhenya tried or did ( mabye muscle memory?) Go back to her old jumping technique, as Tracy said throwing her back into it And not jumping it from her knees, she said that this technique which zhenya used for years isn't working anymore and when she tries it she crashes badly.

starla16

Medalist
I'm not sure why everyone declares her done so quickly. At least from a scoring standpoint, she's inconsistent but they're mainly flukes. She bombed her SP but nailed her FS (3rd highest in the FS!). Even when she "imploded" last year at nationals, she was the highest scoring senior in the FS. Bombing her SP's will not get her onto teams, but this proves she's nowhere near done, at least technically. She just needs to up her focus and she will still stay relevant at the very least.

but shes not making the GPF again, btw this will be Zagitovas 3rd senior season the same season Med had started the struggles and injury. I think its because they are built differently Zagitova is more athletic in built. You can see how Zagitova gets the jumps she uses her legs not much of her upper body like Med.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
but shes not making the GPF again, btw this will be Zagitovas 3rd senior season the same season Med had started the struggles and injury. I think its because they are built differently Zagitova is more athletic in built. You can see how Zagitova gets the jumps she uses her legs not much of her upper body like Med.
And it's not the end of the world, zhenya is still a double gpf winner, she already has 2 gold medals fro there, it's not the most important thing in the world,

lusterfan

Final Flight
It's funny that even with her scores lowering and lowering with each competition, Liza will still be very likely to make GPF. Her assignments are much weaker than what other main contenders have to face (mostly due to Tursynbaeva's placements and subsequent withdrawal). Satoko may be a roadblock for Liza, but Tuktamysheva has at least Bronze locked (unless You gets assigned to China).

Not that Anna had any danger of losing, but this should be smooth sailing to GPF for her compared to Kostornaia.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Sasha!!! I was so scared after that 4S, but boy is she mentally strong to do THREE quads after crashing the first. And the quad combo in the second half out of a spiral is beyond. And even with the fall, she's broken more records! She finally got that 100+ in TES she's been wanting. I wish she didn't get so much hate, but what can you do. I'm so happy she's had such a great Senior GP debut. I can also see efforts to improve interpretation and skating skills, and I don't think she's as bad as people say she is. But go Sasha! she has won her more difficult assignment, and is really doing great. The quad toes this season are just magnificent, and I'm sure she'll get the sal next time. Even if she doesn't and goes back to three, she's fine. But I think she'll go for it at some point to get those records (4 quads, three different quads). Today she did become the first to do a quad in the second half, first to do a quad + eu + 3s combo, and first to do two quad combinations for ladies. She sets records every time she skates!

And what a comeback in the free for Evgenia. The poor girl had a tough field though, and that short was rough. Looks like she won't really have a shot at GPF. She'd have to win Rostelecom to even have a shot, and thats only if Liza underperforms in China, or if one of Zagitova/Kostornaia underperforms. And it would be super hard for her to beat Sasha. Her score today with pretty much the best fp she can do was 20 points lower than Sasha with a fall. She would have to be at her best along with a complete meltdown from Sasha for that to happen.

The good news for Liza is that if she gets second or better at China, she'll be above both Bradie and Evgenia in the standings. And with Liza's 3A consistency + the field at China, thats looking more and more possible. The only thing to look out for for Liza would probably be Young You getting a second assignment and getting Silver somewhere. Thats unlikely give the fields at the remaining events, but I could see it happening at China or even Russia, although Russia is unlikely to invite her. Either way, Liza is definitely for sure in the running for GPF. The situation is also looking good though for whichever one of Kihira/Zagitova/Kostornaia gets third (if they end up being the podium) at NHK.

Agree with everything you say! I think it is highly likely that You gets Tursynbaeva's spot at GP China (if not, it's a scandal imo) so Liza needs to beat her there.

Amei

Record Breaker

Last year Kostornaia, Trusova and Shcherbakova weren't senior eligible; last year Evgenia wasn't consistent based off what we've seen so far this season she's not very consistent looking - even if Kostornaia/Trusova/Shcherbakova start being inconsistent they have such a better upside and they have the technical jumps to have for a fall or 2 and still win competitions.

starla16

Medalist
Maybe Medvedeva should go to Gonchanrenko she doesnt have any A Star skaters now since Radionova left, and Goncharenko makes good programs.
Med already learned some new techniques so time to go home and focus on consistency which she used to be famous for.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Maybe Medvedeva should go to Gonchanrenko she doesnt have any A Star skaters now since Radionova left, and Goncharenko makes good programs.
Med already learned some new techniques so time to go home and focus on consistency which she used to be famous for.
Again it is a mental thing right now and again she is not 16 anymore she is almost 20 , she has a differentmindset , which is only natural, just read my post earlier today.

starla16

Medalist
Again it is a mental thing right now and again she is not 16 anymore she is almost 20 , she has a differentmindset , which is only natural, just read my post earlier today.

I think the training methods don't suit her, the slow progression Orser gives and consultations with Med or his skaters
if she wants to stay in North America, she should go to Rafael A where she will get the russian tough love she is accustomed to.

I know she doesn't like busy rinks now so she can focus, but Rafael has lesser skaters than Orser.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
*UPDATED* Russian Ladies in the SB list after 16 (of 30) events

1 (1) - Alexandra Trusova 241.02 - GP Skate Canada
2 (2) - Alena Kostornaia 234.84 - CS Finlandia Trophy
4 (3) - Anna Shcherbakova 227.76 - GP Skate America
5 (5) - Kamila Valieva (J) 221.95 - JGP Chelyabinsk
7 (6) - Evgenia Medvedeva 217.43 - CS Autumn Classic
9 (8) - Ksenia Sinitsyna 215.58 - JGP Egna/Neumarkt
10 (9) - Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 214.38 - CS Lombardia Trophy
16 (16) - Viktoria Vasilieva 198.79 - JGP Chelyabinsk
17 (17) - Daria Usacheva (J) 197.19 - JGP Croatia Cup
18 (18) - Anastasia Tarakanova 194.74 - JGP Baltic Cup
22 (22) - Maiia Khromykh (J) 190.73 - JGP Riga Cup
23 (23) - Sofia Samodurova 187.16 - CS Ice Star Minsk
----------------------------------------------
29 (29) - Anna Frolova (J) 181.96 - JGP Croatia Cup
42 (new) - Serafima Sakhanovich 175.97 - GP Skate Canada
57 (54) - Stanislava Konstantinova 162.25 - CS Nepela Memorial
72 (69) - Maria Sotskova 155.25 - CS Nepela Memorial

Half of the SB24 are Russian Ladies! Next week: GP France with Kostornaia, Zagitova, Sotskova

Top 24 in the SB list, except juniors (J), are guaranteed at least one spot at the senior GP next year
Last year, to be in the Top 24 in the Seasons Best List you had to score 196.34

Still to skate: Zagitova, Nugumanova, Kanysheva (if she goes to JW)

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I think the training methods don't suit her, the slow progression Orser gives and consultations with Med or his skaters
if she wants to stay in North America, she should go to Rafael A where she will get the russian tough love she is accustomed to.

I know she doesn't like busy rinks now so she can focus, but Rafael has lesser skaters than Orser.
Again in training we can see her beeing able to do the jumps, it is mental, and I do not think your concept of though Russian trainings love will help like at all

Fluture

Record Breaker
Medvedeva needs to skate outside of Canada next season seems she gets jinxed there, also she should hope she gets a Cup of Russia inflation so she gets 2 GP assignments next season. I dont think she has high chance of making the Worlds or Euros team, she is more inconsistent now than Zagitova was last season. Shes done.

By your definition 3 of the Russian main seniors this season are done. We have 4A, Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva. Half of them are not making the team. All ready for you to retire yet? Okay then. Zhenya‘s inconsistent, sure, no one‘s going to deny that, least of all me who, as a fan, has just suffered through Skate Canada lol. But to declare her done and say she might not get GP events next year? Funny. She has a SB of 217, enough for the list. Like it or not, she is a star, so any fed will like to invite her, especially if she keeps being inconsistent. Because then they have someone who sells the tickets but also isn‘t that high of a threat for their own skaters. So, we will see her on the GP next season if she wants to and is healthy, don‘t worry lol.

Btw, her score would have earned her the Bronze last week by about four points. That‘s the game and she‘s not making the final now but just saying... 209 is not too bad, considering how disastrous her SP was.

As for Worlds and Euros. She‘s got no chance this season anyway, so people could stop with these ridiculous Russian Cup final comments. Anyone who can‘t see (or chooses not to) that the situation this year is vastly different from last year‘s is pretty much a troll and doesn’t deserve any attention anyway. Russia has like three girls with quads and/or 3As + an OGM who seems to be doing well. Unless Zhenya miraculously lands a quad herself at RusNats and otherwise skates lights out, she will not be going to Euros. Considering that many of the Russian girls (along with one of the 4As, btw) will join her there, it‘s not a disaster. If she really wants Worlds and co. then she‘ll have to work on that 4S and most importantly her competitive nerves.

Whether she‘s done or not depends on the definition at hand. If being done means scoring 209 with a terrible SP, maybe, yes, she is, then. But by all accounts, as long as she‘s willing and able to skate, she can continue. Maybe she won‘t make the team this year, or next‘s, but she can still continue to skate and improve and she will get events. If skaters like Sima Sakhanovich can continue (I admire her a lot btw just saying) so can Zhenya. It will depend on what her goals are. But let‘s not retire her before she‘s ready for that, alright?

Interestingly enough, Tracy said today Zhenya used to jump with her upper body, twisting her back into the jumps. That‘s what she tried to go back to in the SP and it threw her off completely. She‘s supposed to jump more from the knees now, with her legs instead of her upper body. That‘s what she did in the FS and the result was there.

As for Alina... I wish her all the best. She‘s been looking great this season. I believe a lot of this is coming from her Worlds win last season, now that she‘s won it all she can skate for herself and the audience mostly and it makes her more free.

About Zhenya and the GPF.. yeah, she‘s not making it, I think we‘ve all realized that at this point. A shame but that‘s life. She should go to Golden Spin and try for a higher SB there. But 217 is fine. She will get GPs next season with that, no problem.

And since the coach change seems to be brought up. There’s no magic fix. Going to Raf or Goncharenko or anyone will not make Zhenya go back to her 16 year old “no care in the world“ self. I‘ve said it in her FS already. Anyone who thinks that has no idea how humans work at all and lives in a dream world. Something‘s bothering her and she needs to learn how to deal with competitions. Going to another coach now would do the opposite, it would be a new adjustment, new everything again. Terrible idea on so many levels and just shows that people who suggest this haven‘t really thought this through.

Just my two cents. Btw congrats to Sasha for breaking that 100 TES she wanted. Didn‘t see her skate and am not planning to but she continues to make history every time she steps onto the ice. So much determination in such a small person. Well done.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Again in training we can see her beeing able to do the jumps, it is mental, and I do not think your concept of though Russian trainings love will help like at all

Some skaters prefer a competitive training environment, where every day is higher, stronger, faster, some prefer a more calm and relaxed atmosphere. No environment can help athletes with a mental block, those need to visit a sports psychologist.
To get to the root of the problem, find the causes first before finding cures.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker

I believe Raf actually has more skaters than Orser, he coaches quite a lot of skaters.