2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 686 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

pearly

Record Breaker
I think you need to say what you are reviewing and why, ie whoever calls an element for review, prior to it being reviewed they need to say "reviewing for takeoff edge", "reviewing for rotation" etc. And state the speed because, as I illustrated above, not all things can be reviewed in slow motion and dissected to the point where you can definitely find a mistake.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
You will say reviewing Lz for a wrong edge, and then find only unclear edge but UR jump, or vice versa, so you can see on a review what you didn't mean to find at first, and call it. On a review you are seeing element as a whole, not just part of it. And you can review many elements per program, which even didn't look wrong for the panel of judges, as we saw with GOE Anna was getting in real time for elements which are called for a review. It's very common that tech judges are more nitpicking at begining of the season, and than became lenient and use more 'benefit of a doubt' at the end of the season. Or maybe skaters work on what judges told them at the begining of the season and all become better at the time of Worlds :)

another ridiculous thing about the isu is that finding certain things on their page is next to impossible. Instead of having the most current and often needed communications (such as sov, program requirements etc) listed somewhere visible, you need to go through archives and still can't find what you are looking for.

This!

Last edited:
Oh, you are right (i didn't catch that yet, thanks). So they made BV of the underrotated jumps a little bit higher, after they had made rules for UR calls last year a little bit harsher. That's totaly ISU :thumbsup:

I think that the reason for the latest change is because they also changed the definition of what < and << mean.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Emma Gadzhiyeva now has Yelena Radionova for guest and the women are discussing the Shiseido Grand Prix of China results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH1jyns47vw

Of course the sudden strictness in calling and judging is on the topics list.

Yelena in her time never had the courage or need to ask for explanations about her score from the judges.
She explained that with the current technology support, the judiciary is more able to discern between right and faulty elements, edges etc.

You will say reviewing Lz for a wrong edge, and then find only unclear edge but UR jump, or vice versa, so you can see on a review what you didn't mean to find at first, and call it.

:) It's like in Law Enforcement. The police can't just barge into your house for no reason and start snooping around to see if you might have committed a crime. But if they have evidence that you robbed a bank, then they can go looking for confirmation of the theft, and if they just happen to see a dead body in your living room ...

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I know the time and ease of reviews is a problem. But then, tech panel is doing a review of 1 to 5 elements per program. It could be done that every person in the tech panel can review some of the elements individually, instead all 3 of them are looking at the same reviews. So for example, one can review all single jumps, second all the combos and third spins and steps.

That's only going to cause more problems. Every person has unconscious bias or even honest differences in perception/judgment. Having multiple tech people review is supposed to control for this. I hate to imagine a caller who does the best of his/her ability but then gets completely bashed by fans and possibly even threatened.

Its funny to me that there is so much call for objective measurement (which is good and where the sport is heading with technology) . Its ironic, at least to me, that there is so much energy about objectively and precisely measuring edges when the sport also involves subjective judgment of things like "interpretation of music." The sport always had subjective quality to it.

I like the idea of using technology to improve measurement and objectivity (even the best technology will have errors though) but at some point the emphasis on this changes the sport. Which may be where its going with the artistic and technical programs. Because if its who can skate fastest, jump highest, complete the most revolutions that could be a different field of competition. Like similar to gymnastics where they get multiple tries on the vault. Skaters get 2-3 attempts at different types of jumps or jumping combinations or even skating skills (like fun tricks that are too risky in regular programs). No music is needed. THis may sound controversial, but I'd get rid of pairs competitions and add this field. There are so many dangerous elements in pairs, among other things, that I think are problematic. I'd prefer to see a bunch of individual skating skills and jumps like we see after exhibitions.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
That's only going to cause more problems. Every person has unconscious bias or even honest differences in perception/judgment. Having multiple tech people review is supposed to control for this. I hate to imagine a caller who does the best of his/her ability but then gets completely bashed by fans and possibly even threatened.

I think having multiple tech people is there to make more objective decision in real time. If they are not in agreement, they can call for the review. Majority of judges will see the same things on a review, so they are most likely in agreement after they are able to see things in a super slow-mo. Also, in Ice Dance you have one tech person looking at ladies only, and one tech person looking at men only. So, that's why i think one person is enough to look at reviews of some elements.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Emma Gadzhiyeva now has Yelena Radionova for guest and the women are discussing the Shiseido Grand Prix of China results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH1jyns47vw

Of course the sudden strictness in calling and judging is on the topics list.

Yelena in her time never had the courage or need to ask for explanations about her score from the judges.
She explained that with the current technology support, the judiciary is more able to discern between right and faulty elements, edges etc.
I hope there will be subtitles soon so I can watch it myself :) I would wish that should finally finally speak in an interview about what plans she has for the future...but her figure skating commentary is also always interesting

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Right now I would think or say the current Senior rankings are:

Sasha
Alena
Anna
Alina
Liza
Evgenia

Sofia
Konstanova

Maria

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Ladies group 1: Tumanova, Shulskaya, Mitina, Babushkina, Belyaikova, Borisova, Sheveleva
Group2: Mitina, Konovaltseva, Daineko, Frolova, Vasilieva, Talalaikina.

I'm very curious as to why there are no juniors listed yet. There surely is a juniors category right? And isn't Kanysheva supposed to be competing? Oh gosh I hope she hasn't withdrawn from yet another comp :(

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I'm very curious as to why there are no juniors listed yet. There surely is a juniors category right? And isn't Kanysheva supposed to be competing? Oh gosh I hope she hasn't withdrawn from yet another comp :(

I think there is! and I think Kanysheva has withdrawn. :eek:hwell:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Right now I would think or say the current Senior rankings are:

Sasha
Alena
Anna
Alina
Liza
Evgenia

Sofia
Konstanova

Maria

We know who the A team is it's 4A. the B team is Liza Evgenia Stanislava and SS. Although Stasya and Sofia are in danger of dropping to the already very crowded C team this season.