2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 727 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Last season they took advantage of Liza's injury and what's really odd is that fans defended them until they realized at WTT Liza would have outscored Evgenia at Worlds.

WTT is notorious for ridiculous overscoring where even Bradie's FS soared to over 150 points.

You just cant compare them.

I don't think Liza would have done any better than Bronze at Worlds either.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
WTT is notorious for ridiculous overscoring where even Bradie's FS soared to over 150 points.

You just cant compare them.

I don't think Liza would have done any better than Bronze at Worlds either.

I think Liza would’ve medaled. Last year her scores were better than this season even with mistakes on 3A, whereas now, even when she goes clean, the marks are worse.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I think Liza would’ve medaled. Last year her scores were better than this season even with mistakes on 3A, whereas now, even when she goes clean, the marks are worse.

I think she would have got bronze but I am not sure she would have beaten Lisbet for silver

Liza wasn't clean at SA or CoC but that's another matter

macy

Record Breaker
I have a couple points to make as I see multiple errors in what you've posted:

Alina was weaker last season because her body went through changes with puberty. All skaters go through this. Liza had a huge decline for a few years and even a technical master like Mishin couldn't bring her back to 2015 form until very recently. With Alina, we can see with test skates and Japan Open that her jumps are better than they were last season, showing that they are working to adapt her technique to her new body. At IDF, she had a sub-par performance. But this is just one competition out of 3 performances so far this season. If you're comparing to her most successful Olympic season, it also wasn't perfect; she had a bad time at IDF scoring as low as 62 in the short after multiple major errors including falls and URs. You can only say it's a worse season than her olympic season after actually seeing the results of the season. But Alina being in worse shape doesn't mean Eteri isn't helping her.

Eteri never simplified Evgenia's content in the Olympic season. In fact, the layout that Evgenia performed at the Olympic season had a BV that was the highest in her international career. She just lost to Alina who was stronger technically. Alina is now losing to others who are stronger technically. Eteri can't magically inject quads and 3As into her students; the 3A are just better jumpers currently, not because they're younger. Alina couldn't do quads and 3As at 15, and Evgenia couldn't do Alina's olympic layout at 15. They didn't have these jumps and then lost them due to growing, they never had them at all. They're different skaters with different limitations in their athleticism and this doesn't have anything to do with age or tossing older skaters aside; Eteri works with the talent she has and is not a magician.

The bolded statement not only applies to Eteri's older skaters, but to all Russian ladies. They are already buried by the 3As because they simply cannot match their difficulty. Alina, Evgenia, Liza, Stasya. Coached by Eteri, Brian, Mishin, and Chebotareva. Go back a few seasons and you'll see that Radionova, Pogorilaya, Tsurskaya, Gubanova were all buried by Alina and Evgenia's technical prowess at the time, and they all have different coaches as well.

thanks for explaining the last part. this is just how elite competitive skating works. the new generations have to outdo and out perform who is currently at the top. we already know Akatyeva and Zhilina are coming down the line in a few years, and what Kamila already has in her arsenal. if you want to make your mark and be at the top, you have to be better than the current gen.

moriel

Record Breaker
Why did you even feel the need to bring this up? Two wrongs don't make a right

Since people here thought that the scandal at Alina's birthday was fine, and the people who complain now didn't complain back then, we conclude that it is not a wrong.
It was not wrong back then, so it is not wrong now ;)

Fluture

Record Breaker
Stasya on her struggles:

https://mobile.twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1195722959140392961

I‘m sad for her. She‘s such a great young lady and I loved watching her skate at the Aurora Games. She looked free and relaxed and beautiful. I’m having my fingers crossed for her and hope she manages to bounce back, even if it will be hard.

It‘s interesting that she says she‘s going through puberty and that people are often disbelieving about this because she‘s already 20. (19?) It just shows that puberty isn‘t “done“ at a certain age, that just because you‘re over 17 doesn‘t mean you can‘t change physically and that everyone is different and so are people‘s bodies and minds. I hope she can come back stronger once this difficult period is over for her. Every athlete goes through that, some sooner, some later. It‘s not a tragedy (I‘ve always hated how female puberty, or puberty in general has been treated as the “downfall“ of skaters) but it changes the body and the technique and mentality should be changed accordingly too. Trying desperately to hang on to old technique is not going to work. I think Brian has said some things about this in an interview. That competing as an adult is differently and once you start changing physically as well as mentally you can‘t (and shouldn’t!) go back but rather adapt to that. I guess Stasya is in the middle of that right now.

I watched her jumps in practice at Rostelecom and she‘s often slow to snap into the rotational position. Maybe dropping the rippon would be a good idea for now? They‘re nice to look at but only when the jump as a whole works out. Anyway, wishing her good luck.

zounger

Medalist
Since people here thought that the scandal at Alina's birthday was fine, and the people who complain now didn't complain back then, we conclude that it is not a wrong.
It was not wrong back then, so it is not wrong now ;)

I haven't seen anything wrong now. I don't remember what happened back then though.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Stasya on her struggles:

https://mobile.twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1195722959140392961

I‘m sad for her. She‘s such a great young lady and I loved watching her skate at the Aurora Games. She looked free and relaxed and beautiful. I’m having my fingers crossed for her and hope she manages to bounce back, even if it will be hard.

It‘s interesting that she says she‘s going through puberty and that people are often disbelieving about this because she‘s already 20. (19?) It just shows that puberty isn‘t “done“ at a certain age, that just because you‘re over 17 doesn‘t mean you can‘t change physically and that everyone is different and so are people‘s bodies and minds. I hope she can come back stronger once this difficult period is over for her. Every athlete goes through that, some sooner, some later. It‘s not a tragedy (I‘ve always hated how female puberty, or puberty in general has been treated as the “downfall“ of skaters) but it changes the body and the technique and mentality should be changed accordingly too. Trying desperately to hang on to old technique is not going to work. I think Brian has said some things about this in an interview. That competing as an adult is differently and once you start changing physically as well as mentally you can‘t (and shouldn’t!) go back but rather adapt to that. I guess Stasya is in the middle of that right now.

I watched her jumps in practice at Rostelecom and she‘s often slow to snap into the rotational position. Maybe dropping the rippon would be a good idea for now? They‘re nice to look at but only when the jump as a whole works out. Anyway, wishing her good luck.

to be frank I'm really questioning her on that. :scratch:
Puberty might be longer for some and last some time, but at 20 it's over for everyone.
The changes that happen to the bodies - well they happen to everyone.
Not everyone looks the same at 30 compared to their 20s. People also change when they're 40.
Similarly, people might change at 20 compared to 16, but that's not quite puberty, it's just about getting older.
IMO She's getting older and having body changes due to the fact that she's older, she might be having troubles with controlling her weight/ratios, but I honestly doubt she's going through puberty again...:rolleye:

Just my opinion, nothing against Stanislava.

andromache

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what is going on with Kanysheva? She was such a lovely skater last season - incredibly refreshing. I know she had to withdraw from her JGP events due to injury, but is it true she recently had to withdraw from a Russian event as well? Will she be at Nationals?

Fluture

Record Breaker
to be frank I'm really questioning her on that. :scratch:
Puberty might be longer for some and last some time, but at 20 it's over for everyone.
The changes that happen to the bodies - well they happen to everyone.
Not everyone looks the same at 30 compared to their 20s. People also change when they're 40.
She's getting older and having body changes due to the fact that she's older, she might be having troubles with controlling her weight/ratios, but I honestly doubt she's going through puberty again...:rolleye:

Just my opinion, nothing against Stanislava.

She‘s an active athlete who’s trained and competed at the elite level for years, it might be different for them. I’m certainly not an expert on that but I believe it’s not that uncommon for girls in elite sport to go through puberty later. I would prefer believing her instead of doubting.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what is going on with Kanysheva? She was such a lovely skater last season - incredibly refreshing. I know she had to withdraw from her JGP events due to injury, but is it true she recently had to withdraw from a Russian event as well? Will she be at Nationals?

I feel like I’m asking that every week or so but nobody seems to know. She‘s a favourite of mine and it‘s so sad to see her miss what is probably the entire season. She was indeed scheduled to compete at a Russian Cup Event (4, I believe?) but withdrew again. So she probably won‘t be at Junior Nationals. And without Junior Nationals there‘s no JWC or Youth Olympics.... I just wonder what‘s going on with her, this seems to be quite a serious injury.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Lots of things that weren't "wrong" before are "wrong" now. I can provide a list if needs be.

Can we just be constructive in our criticism of all skaters on any day no matter if it is their birthday or not? Maybe find something nice to say about a skater rather than tearing them apart?

Anyway, good luck to Alina and Alena at NHK this week. May both ladies fly high and free. Alina doesn't have to win to get in the GPF right? She can get in with a silver? Does Alena need at least a silver to get in or can she get in if the scores a bronze?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
She‘s an active athlete who’s trained and competed at the elite level for years, it might be different for them. I’m certainly not an expert on that but I believe it’s not that uncommon for girls in elite sport to go through puberty later. I would prefer believing her instead of doubting.

I don't doubt she's having troubles, and probably experiencing some changes in her body, I only said it might not be a second puberty, but simply something more like her growing older.
:scard8:
Some people change rapidly in their 20s, it happens. I had friends in college who at 23 looked a whole lot older, they got bold and gained a lot of weight suddenly, and all that. It's just that they got their hormone levels a bit higher at their age, but they weren't going through puberty.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I wonder if Alena Kanysheva might get added to Junior Nationals via coaches' council, the way Anna Shcherbakova was in 2018 when she was injured in the first half of the season. Alena is a JGPF medalist and was strong at test skates, so she'd certainly deserve it!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Anyway, good luck to Alina and Alena at NHK this week. May both ladies fly high and free. Alina doesn't have to win to get in the GPF right? She can get in with a silver? Does Alena need at least a silver to get in or can she get in if the scores a bronze?

Alina, Alyona and Rika should all have a safe path to GPF, as long as they podium.
Aliona can even be 5th, and still make it.
Alina and Rika can be 4th, but have to score high enough to win the tie breaker with Satoko, and considering Satoko didn't score very high on both of her events, it shouldn't be impossible to do.

Fluture

Record Breaker

I think both ladies can get in with a bronze actually. Alena has a Gold already, Alina a silver with a pretty high score. So they should be fine, whoever ends up winning.

It will be one of the most interesting events for sure, though. The three ladies competing for gold are all fairly even if they skate cleanly. Alina without a 3A may look “weaker“ compared to Rika and Alena but interestingly enough, her PB, 238 something, is actually the highest. And I believe RusFed has made more than sure IdF will not be repeated. So, it will probably depend on who‘s the cleanest.

andromache

Record Breaker
Lots of things that weren't "wrong" before are "wrong" now. I can provide a list if needs be.

Can we just be constructive in our criticism of all skaters on any day no matter if it is their birthday or not? Maybe find something nice to say about a skater rather than tearing them apart?

IIRC from what people on Twitter were saying...Alena could get as low as fifth and Alina (and Rika) could get as low as 4th and they would still make it. Or something similar to that. All three ladies have a lot of room for error, and tbh, they don't need it. I expect everyone will skate relatively well and will make it as expected. A bronze for Alina here would be more than fine.