2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 789 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Question anyone knows why alina looked not that happy in the kiss and cry? I mean her performance was great, and she has a seasons best. And the commentator said when he came to torino the rumor was that alina didnt know if she would compete or not?Alyona was just mind blowing amazing to watch

Finley

Record Breaker
No one knows, but I suppose it's something similar to worlds.
I believe she might've been losing her confidence a little bit during the season, a few unsuccessful SPs probably made her doubt herself, and at those moments she wants to just leave it all and not go anywhere.
She's still a teenager...
But I'm glad Eteri always manages to keep Alina's spirit up and energize her! What a performance.. :hap85:

Maybe it is a good luck strategy for major competitions now. I'm kidding, but it worked pretty well for Worlds last season.

She is really strong. I can't imagine being 17 and going into practice 6 days a week, all day every day, and being surrounded by your toughest competition. Watching them do things you can't do technically. Knowing it might be mathematically impossible to beat them when they skate clean. We see them at competitions and realize it all over again. But having to see it every single day; that kind of thing can really add up on you mentally after awhile.

And here she is, staying with it, giving it her all. That takes some real strength of character and great support from her coaches.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I do understand what a tough position she's in. She talked about feeling a lack of motivation last season, and I'm sure feeling unable to top the podium lately and being surpassed by her younger teammates is tough. If she still has the drive to compete regardless of the results (and the results aren't bad anyway), then I imagine she'll stick with it, but if she chooses to retire, she has a very rewarding life ahead of her nonetheless.
Yes but it's sad that this is how the sport is going in to that direction, that in woman's skating we will mostly only see 15 to 16y year olds and most skaters that are older than that are basically almost forced to retire. And that's what I do not like at all, it is woman's figure skating and for me woman arentonlh 15 or 16 year olds.

E

eterialskater

NHK performance still much better. Kostornaya was behind the music at the end that she had to rush her ending pose. A lovely performance overall especially the jumps. Still I can never get over this dress. Last year was beautiful and she look so ethereal wearing it. Pleasantly surprised the judges finally went for Shcherbakova although I don't find this performance as well interpreted as her Cup of China skate. That should have been 78+ not this one.

starla16

Medalist
The commentator from Rai sport also said today that she talked to Eteri and Eteri said to her that Alina has to decide now wether or not she wants to retire.
Added with the comments by Chris this makes me worried.

such a gossiper
Commentators shouldnt be allowed to make gossips and sensationalism :unsure:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Maybe it is a good luck strategy for major competitions now. I'm kidding, but it worked pretty well for Worlds last season.

She is really strong. I can't imagine being 17 and going into practice 6 days a week, all day every day, and being surrounded by your toughest competition. Watching them do things you can't do technically. Knowing it might be mathematically impossible to beat them when they skate clean. We see them at competitions and realize it all over again. But having to see it every single day; that kind of thing can really add up on you mentally after awhile.

And here she is, staying with it, giving it her all. That takes some real strength of character and great support from her coaches.

It is the prospect every athlete faces, some earlier than others. Given the fierce competition in Khrustalniy, where every training session and internal test skate is a mini Olympics, it must be hard for Alina trying to keep abreast with her younger rink mates. Perhaps not so much physically/technically/artistically, but more so mentally and in motivation, just like Finley explained.

First tomorrow's Grand Prix Finals, where Alina has a chance now one of her strongest contenders is laying behind by a margin. What chance probably depends on her rink mates' errors ...

Finley

Record Breaker
It is the prospect every athlete faces, some earlier than others. Given the fierce competition in Khrustalniy, where every training session and internal test skate is a mini Olympics, it must be hard for Alina trying to keep abreast with her younger rink mates. Perhaps not so much physically/technically/artistically, but more so mentally and in motivation, just like Finley explained.

First tomorrow's Grand Prix Finals, where Alina has a chance now one of her strongest contenders is laying behind by a margin. What chance probably depends on her rink mates' errors ...

Sasha can make up that margin.

I am an Alina fan first and foremost. I would love to see her on the podium. I would be thrilled to pieces to see her get a bronze medal. But I cannot wish mistakes on any of these lovely skaters. Alyona is otherworldly, Sasha is on a whole other level athletically (break out the Platinum medals!) and Anna is exquisite in her own way. I will be happy if Alina feels good about her performance at the end of it. It is so nice to see her happy.

E

eterialskater

Best performance overall goes to Zagitova. On point and elements were well done. I think over 80 was warranted.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Best performance overall goes to Zagitova. On point and elements were well done. I think over 80 was warranted.

Agreed. Her performance gave me chills. I thought she looked a bit disappointed in the K&C. I hope the rumors about her thinking about retiring are not true. I totally get how she might find it difficult to feel motivated if her three younger teammates are always beating her. It is one thing to train with the the 3A and see them doing quads and 3A. It is another to be competing with them and finding that no matter how you do, you will come up short. Having said that, I don't feel Alina at her full strength has been matched against 3A yet. She made little mistakes at her GP events. Also, she was paired with Aliona who ended up being (IMO) the strongest/most well rounded of the 3A. As an Alina fan, I have loved seeing her grow in musicality and expression, and I very much hope she finds the motivation to continue skating and competing.

As for the other ladies: Aliona was exquisite as usual, just a joy to watch. I so admire Sasha's grit and determination- she has the heart of a lion. Like someone else said, she is competing with herself- the medals are secondary. Anna is still The Artist to me. So beautifully expressive. It was nice to see her justly rewarded finally.

Can't wait till the Ladies FS. We are so lucky to have such amazing ladies competing right now.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Yes but it's sad that this is how the sport is going in to that direction, that in woman's skating we will mostly only see 15 to 16y year olds and most skaters that are older than that are basically almost forced to retire. And that's what I do not like at all, it is woman's figure skating and for me woman arentonlh 15 or 16 year olds.

Tell that to Michelle Kwan...remember her? Won first World Title aged 15 in 1996? The same age as Sasha Trusova and younger than Alyona Kostornaia?
Or Sonja Henie...14 and 15 when she won her first World and Olympic Golds in the 1920s.

This isn't a new thing, at all.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Some thoughts from me, not anything that wasn't written here already.
Alina - this performance deserved 80+, definitely, esp. when considered relatively some other scores. But OK, still very good score and a chance for the free program.
Aliona - her program at NHK was better, I agree with those who mentioned she was behind the music a little. Still, clear first place and big margin for tomorrow esp. before Sasha.
Anna - "weakes of the 3A", huh? Eat this, ye of little faith. It's a thrilling to wait for her 4F tomorrow.
Sasha - you have to admire her. She is born athlete. She cares about the rising the limits more than about the medals. She could have easily plaed on a safe note, but "you know what, I have a 3A and I'm going to deliver it, no matter how many times I will fall before I will jump it clean." Tomorrow she may perform a program with five quads and another 3A attempt.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Tell that to Michelle Kwan...remember her? Won first World Titoe aged 15? The same age as Sasha Trusova and younger than Alyona Kostornaia?
I said that for me woman's skating is not only about skaters aged 15 and 16, I did not say that it isn't also about them, but I do not like the trend female figure skating is going, where skaters are taken as not good enough anymore at the age of what 17 or 18? For me that's the age where they are beginning to really grow I to the performances. Besides Alyona here, let's take a look at alina, at the age of 17 she is apparently thinking about retirement, yes she could because she has won everything there is but while the song is not my cup of tea I really think that this year she is really growing artistically. This year I am start I g to like her performance wise. I think I would like the song without the singer's voice because I do not like the singer's voice, but that is just me.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I said that for me woman's skating is not only about skaters aged 15 and 16, I did not say that it isn't also about them, but I do not like the trend female figure skating is going, where skaters are taken as not good enough anymore at the age of what 17 or 18? For me that's the age where they are beginning to really grow I to the performances. Besides Alyona here, let's take a look at alina, at the age of 17 she is apparently thinking about retirement, yes she could because she has won everything there is but while the song is not my cup of tea I really think that this year she is really growing artistically. This year I am start I g to like her performance wise. I think I would like the song without the singer's voice because I do not like the singer's voice, but that is just me.

It's not about the age. You think that Sasha and co. are planning to withdraw at 17/18?

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Unbelievable score for Aliona. The judges love her already and with good reasons. So glad Alina did well too. Also Anna.

What television channel is covering this in the United States? I'm assuming tape coverage over the weekend for NBC.

Ya I would mainly check NBC or the Olympic Channel. I know that the Olympic Channel showed NHK Trophy several within the past few weeks. However you might have to buy it depending on who your cable provider is.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Tell that to Michelle Kwan...remember her? Won first World Title aged 15 in 1996? The same age as Sasha Trusova and younger than Alyona Kostornaia?
Or Sonja Henie...14 and 15 when she won her first World and Olympic Golds in the 1920s.

This isn't a new thing, at all.

The USA always loved their female champions in gymnastics and skating young, as young as possible, for the cutesy factor and the $$$$ this brings.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
It's not about the age. You think that Sasha and co. are planning to withdraw at 17/18?
We will see if they will or not when they are 17 and 18, mabye not Sasha, but when the new juniors will be better then them, ? Will do what they are doing now? Or the bodies say enough? Who knows what can and will happen in those years to come, we certainly can not predict the future. Or I would already be a millionaire [emoji6][emoji23]

Fluture

Record Breaker
Tell that to Michelle Kwan...remember her? Won first World Titoe aged 15? The same age as Sasha Trusova and younger than Alyona Kostornaia?

And she competed for how long and was able to grow artistically? Aliona said she‘ll skate to age 20-21 max because after that there‘s just new girls the older ones won‘t be able to keep up with technically. For me, that‘s not a sport for adults and I do not enjoy it like this but it is what it is. Some will like it and they have every right to do so. But people have a right to dislike it as well. I‘m overall not happy about the direction the sport is taking and I‘ve said so on multiple occasions. But I accept others who feel differently. I personally have more or less got used to the way things are right now and I intend to enjoy the girls while they last. The skating was amazing today and I hope to see something similar tomorrow. That‘s all.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
And she competed for how long and was allowed to grow artistically? Aliona said she‘ll skate to age 20-21 max because after that there‘s just new girls the older ones won‘t be able to keep up with technically. For me, that‘s not a sport for adults and I do not enjoy it like this but it is what it is. Some will like it and they have every right to do so. But people have a right to dislike it as well. I‘m overall not happy about the direction the sport is taking and I‘ve said so on multiple occasions. But I accept others who feel differently. I personally have more or less got used to the way things are right now and I intend to enjoy the girls while they last. The skating was amazing today and I hope to see something similar tomorrow. That‘s all.
That's exactly what I am saying to, and it's my personal opinion.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Well deserved lead for Alyona! She was esquisite, Rock solid jumps, serene and angelic.

I screamed out loud when Alina finished! The Olympic champ still has it and she is not giving up without a fight.

Anna was lovely, so light and soft.

Sasha...arrrghhhh well we know that no matter what she goes for the big jumps, she will get that triple axel landed in competition but it didn't work here.

Apparently she has 5 quads planned? That's insane, she's insame! In a good way! Wouldn't want her any other way! I don't know if she can pull that off but that's more than most men even attempt.