2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 805 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

PrayOrDie

Rinkside
Please don't compare Sasha to Nathan. She does not have the testosterone he does that allows him to do these incredible things with ease. What Sasha is doing is amazing and awe-inspiring. But is it the right thing to do for her career at 15 years of age? The answer is no. I can see it now Sasha will try to be the female version of Nathan Chen and she will keep losing to Aliona. And we already wonder about the physical toll all of this is taking on Sasha while Alyiona just floats around the ice watching her main competitors beat the hell out of themselves with quad attempts after quad attempts after quad attempts. As I said in an earlier post Its risk and reward for Sasha both risk and reward are immense for her. I certainly commend her for what she's doing for the sport but I'm also concerned about her.

She has coaches, parents and her own opinion what to do with her life.

karina17

Final Flight
Does anyone else see that the new Sambo juniors aren't learning -3Lo combos? It's the practical decision to learn quads and it will be the same in all rinks. Will this be the death of that combo for the time being? We had Alina, Sasha, Anya and also Tarakanova all learn -3Lo combos...also Zhenya practiced -3Lo combos with Eteri too. From the current juniors I believe only Akatieva has done it.

Sasha also removed it from the GP Finals, which in my opinion is a really good decision when you're doing so many hard jumps already. There isn't much benefit in an extra 0.7 points.

Also I hope Sasha trains for 4F 3A 4Lz 3F-3T 4T-eu-3S 4T 3Lz-3T. Success for the 4S isn't high. And 3A + 3F is better than 4S + 2A anyways in base value. Not to mention it distributes the load because 3A is worth less and 3F is worth more.

It could also be that the -3Lo is just less worth it this year. This year the juniors' mandatory solo jump in the SP is the loop (for the 3A's cycle, it was the Lutz, and then next year the flip, so there was always the option for a -3Lo combo). So in Sasha's junior years, she could use it twice across both programs. Now, if say Kamila were to learn one, she would only be able to use it once in the free.

What's more, Sasha, Anna and Alyona learned their -3Lo combos before the rule changes, when a 3Lo was worth slightly more in BV. I think it used to be worth 5.10 and now it's only 4.90. What's more, there's a higher emphasis on GOE under the current rules. So a -3Lo combo used to make a bit more of an impact on TES back in Anna, Sasha and Alyona's junior days. I agree that it could be due to the option of quads that the current juniors aren't training them, but personally I don't think that's all there is to it.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
She is a humble girl and seems to have high moral standards.

This! is what made me think she wanted to explain why she didn't skate in the gala, she feels her responsibility towards the audience, her worldwide fans. Alina was only being polite here. More respect to her.

E

eterialskater

Please don't compare Sasha to Nathan. She does not have the testosterone he does that allows him to do these incredible things with ease. What Sasha is doing is amazing and awe-inspiring. But is it the right thing to do for her career at 15 years of age? The answer is no. I can see it now Sasha will try to be the female version of Nathan Chen and she will keep losing to Aliona. And we already wonder about the physical toll all of this is taking on Sasha while Alyiona just floats around the ice watching her main competitors beat the hell out of themselves with quad attempts after quad attempts after quad attempts. As I said in an earlier post Its risk and reward for Sasha both risk and reward are immense for her. I certainly commend her for what she's doing for the sport but I'm also concerned about her.

Well for one judges should start giving her the jump GOE's, SS, TR and PE scores that she is due like Nathan. Chen is certainly not pulling up trees with his interpretation and musicality but he has the performance and technique to the letter. Even Hanyu will never land 4 lutz and 4 flip in one program with correct edge like Trusova did in her LP but sadly Trusova has been successfully smeared by her detractors that they love nothing more than see her fail and get undermine by the judges.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
This! is what made me think she wanted to explain why she didn't skate in the gala, she feels her responsibility towards the audience, her worldwide fans. Alina was only being polite here. More respect to her.

Exactly, if she could skate she would do it. It’s better than a sloppy exhibition with more injuries.

Plus Alina knows her chance to medal at GPF was near to zero, she could drop the GPF but decided to fight.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I have been thinking about Alina, Zhenya, and Liza. They stand no chances against 3A in their current shape. However, bad things happen sometimes so that there are substitues in the team.

Will they fight for the 4th place? How dificult will it be to stay in shape as a substitute knowing that there is a big chance that despite this shape the season may be over? Or is it better for them to start thinking now of the next season working on triple axels and quads? And with such an attitude not to fully commit to the upcoming Rusnats.

Alina is in the most fragile situation. On the one hand, tech wise she is nowhere near the 3A. On the other hand, she has achieved it all. I hope that I will see her in Krasnoyarsk but I understand that it is possible that she might skip it.

Liza and Zhenya have things to prove. But then we are going back to the first question. Unless major accident happens I don't see them beating any of 3A now. What will they do next?

As for splitting the team, I hope that it won't happen. Zhenya, Alina, and Liza all have European title. 3A don't have one. And in Russia it is a big deal to be the champion of Europe. The coveted title "honored master of sports" is given to world champions and double European champions. Say, Anna never wins the Worlds but wins the Europeans twice - she will join Alina, Zhenya, and Liza all of whom are honored masters of sports. It will be very unfair to deprive the best skaters of going to the Europeans no matter how formal this competition is going to be.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She has coaches, parents and her own opinion what to do with her life.
this is an opinion Message Board we form opinions and give them. Of course everyone of Sasha's wishes and desires should be follow through on by her. But only after real deliberation and I'm not sure that's happening.

Why should she apologise?! She's done nothing wrong.
Alina got banged up in her free skate and wants to rest today she should not do the gala. Her SP was amazing and she has mastered her short program. FS is obviously more of a battle for her.

We all know Sasha compares herself to the men and jokes that she would love to compete with them.
No she isn't Nathan but she herself seems to want to achieve something similar rather than win every time she goes out there.That seems to be her desire at the moment and who are we to try to tell her any differently? Even her coaches struggle to reel her in!
it is true that they struggle to reel her in. Everyone commends Sasha for going for it.all the time. But she may need to rethink things once Aliona keeps beating her because Aliona does not beat herself.

Well for one judges should start giving her the jump GOE's, SS, TR and PE scores that she is due like Nathan. Chen is certainly not pulling up trees with his interpretation and musicality but he has the performance and technique to the letter. Even Hanyu will never land 4 lutz and 4 flip in one program with correct edge like Trusova did in her LP but sadly Trusova has been successfully smeared by her detractors that they love nothing more than see her fail and get undermine by the judges.

Sasha is an awesome girl doing incredible things and we all appreciate that. But I would not mention Sasha in the same sentence as Yuzuru or Nathan. If she reads things like that it will fill her head that she's on the same level as the greatest men in the world of figure skating. In my opinion that is risky business even as great as she is. Something similar happened to golfing on Michelle Wie especially with the media and it did not exactly help her career let's put it that way.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I have been thinking about Alina, Zhenya, and Liza. They stand no chances against 3A in their current shape. However, bad things happen sometimes so that there are substitues in the team.

Then send Tutberidze's Terrific Trio to both European and World Championships. In Europeans, they will face no opposition apart from between themselves.

Worlds will be a tougher call, but when 'in flow' and 'on momentum', they'll have little problems there too I think.

FFKKR logistics and expenses will be a lesser burden too.

Fluture

Record Breaker
What happened to Alina? She didn‘t skate at the Gala and is injured?? :( What was her speech about?

pearly

Record Breaker
I really doubt Alina went to Turin with a serious thought of not competing. I have heard a lot of stories about Alina almost withdrawing from competitions so at this point I take such stories with a grain of salt. There was no reported injury or other incident, so it would be strange to withdraw for virtually no reason.

This came from the commentators on the official ISU stream who would (should) know better than to report something they got on Twitter or a message board. That's why we take it as relevant. The coaching team themselves gave interviews in the past about various mental games they'd play with Alina to get her motivated. Call me crazy, but I don't think a skater should arrive to a competition like GPF or Worlds to see how they feel. It's not fair to the federation, to the alternates, to the fans who bought expensive tickets to see 6 skaters skate.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Then send Tutberidze's Terrific Trio to both European and World Championships. In Europeans, they will face no opposition apart from between themselves.

Worlds will be a tougher call, but when 'in flow' and 'on momentum', they'll have little problems there too I think.

FFKKR logistics and expenses will be a lesser burden too.

They met the most tough opponents on GP series, and on GPF. The score of Eteri trio vs. the world is 7:0 now :) Purely from the perspective of abilities those three don't have equals unless they make serious mistakes. With two, maybe three mistakes, Rika could catch (if I don't count Alina now, that's special case), but for the rest having a chance they would have to completely fall apart on the ice. Not that it is impossible, but I guess very improbable this season. Now all three are full of self-confidence and their will to dominate all life is on the Sauron's level :biggrin:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Fluture

Record Breaker
She said that she had a bad landing on the jump yesterday and therefore cannot participate in the gala
https://youtu.be/ML6FV8-5SNo

Oh, that‘s so sad. I can‘t help but feel relieved, though. I feared she was announcing her retirement or something. Thank god it‘s not that. I really hope she comes back strongly at Nationals. What a nice girl, though, to publicly apologize for skipping the gala. I hope she‘s alright soon.