2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 804 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Does anyone else see that the new Sambo juniors aren't learning -3Lo combos? It's the practical decision to learn quads and it will be the same in all rinks. Will this be the death of that combo for the time being? We had Alina, Sasha, Anya and also Tarakanova all learn -3Lo combos...also Zhenya practiced -3Lo combos with Eteri too. From the current juniors I believe only Akatieva has done it.

Sasha also removed it from the GP Finals, which in my opinion is a really good decision when you're doing so many hard jumps already. There isn't much benefit in an extra 0.7 points.

Also I hope Sasha trains for 4F 3A 4Lz 3F-3T 4T-eu-3S 4T 3Lz-3T. Success for the 4S isn't high. And 3A + 3F is better than 4S + 2A anyways in base value. Not to mention it distributes the load because 3A is worth less and 3F is worth more.

Eteri Georgiyevna has proven time over again she is master of interpreting the rules to maximum benefits, sometimes even forecasting and setting trends for others to follow.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Does anyone else see that the new Sambo juniors aren't learning -3Lo combos? It's the practical decision to learn quads and it will be the same in all rinks. Will this be the death of that combo for the time being? We had Alina, Sasha, Anya and also Tarakanova all learn -3Lo combos...also Zhenya practiced -3Lo combos with Eteri too. From the current juniors I believe only Akatieva has done it.

Sasha also removed it from the GP Finals, which in my opinion is a really good decision when you're doing so many hard jumps already. There isn't much benefit in an extra 0.7 points.

Also I hope Sasha trains for 4F 3A 4Lz 3F-3T 4T-eu-3S 4T 3Lz-3T. Success for the 4S isn't high. And 3A + 3F is better than 4S + 2A anyways in base value. Not to mention it distributes the load because 3A is worth less and 3F is worth more.

I could see her dropping the 4S if she can't get it stable.

She's experimenting at the moment and not focused on victory every time. She's aware of the risks she takes and was still very happy with her GPF Bronze, she might have a different plan for Nationals where it will be imperative for her to place in the top 3 and to not risk a non-podium finish.

PrayOrDie

Rinkside
I could see her dropping the 4S if she can't get it stable.

She's experimenting at the moment and not focused on victory every time. She's aware of the risks she takes and was still very happy with her GPF Bronze, she might have a different plan for Nationals where it will be imperative for her to place in the top 3 and to not risk a non-podium finish.

She jumped 4S at Gala to shut up us i think :)

Mishaminion

Record Breaker

If she has withdrawn from the gala then it probably is, or why would she not skate?

Poor Alina.

It went all wrong before the fall and then to injure herself during it is even worse.

- - - Updated - - -

She jumped 4S at Gala to shut up us i think :)

Well we all know she can do it, she just seems to struggle with it in actual competition.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I really wish the Alina injured talk would stop. It’s always the same. She skates fine in the SP. The injury narrative is getting old. She didn’t skate well. Has she skated both programs clean this season? Has she been injured all season? She’s struggling this season. Just as other skaters have struggled before her.

Again, we saw this from her last season. Bad showing at GPF- then it was due to a trip on a chord. She struggles with pressure. I’m sure she’s under a lot of pressure- but all these girls are under that same pressure. Last season there was a lot of drama after GPF, Europeans and Nationals with talk of Alina not dealing with the pressure. Maybe she doesn’t like to compete?

If coaches and commentators are saying she is considering retiring then perhaps it’s time for her to consider what her goals are and if she’s capable of improving and achieving them. She’s the only one that knows what’s going on in her head.

silveruskate

On the Ice
I don't think her FS is impossible, it is insanely difficult though. I'm sure Nathan's "I can do 5 quads and make it look easy" FS was very inspiring to Sasha. She's added yet another type of quad to her arsenal and landed it first try, impossible is not in this girl's vocabulary!

That is at the same time as learning a 3A and trying that, plus 4 other quads.

Putting all of that together and landing them all in the same program/competition is very very tough but I'd never say anything is impossible for Sasha.

Not to mention Sasha is visibly growing and already taller than Anya and Aliona. Instead of trying to save jumps she's learning 2 new ones. Also every single FS of her senior career has been over 160 points so far, higher than the free-skate world record of 2018-2019 every time! And then all of the 3A scoring over 160 this competition. What we're witnessing is just incredible.

I wonder what the team will do, because Aliona in all her events is going 235+ in total and most likely given Anna and Aliona the score needed to win has to be 240+ from now on. If Sasha gets 75 in the SP, she needs at least a 165 FS....and 175 to be sure.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Here a photo of the injury. She tore her tights and bled a little due to the fall
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5z2e_-ouNH/?igshid=1uo8nk2gn4fq6

Damn shame. Hope the injury isn't bad and the pain is minimal and will go away soon. But we don't usually see figure skaters with blood on them during a competition. Alina really set herself up perfectly after the SP. She should not skate Nationals if she's not 100%. With all she's done in this sport by the age of 16 she can be very careful with her health and she should be.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
She cut herself during the fall. I don’t know. Rika is skating on an injured ankle. It all seems so strange to me.

At any rate, Was hoping for Alina to win. Let’s see what the future brings for her

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't think her FS is impossible, it is insanely difficult though. I'm sure Nathan's "I can do 5 quads and make it look easy" FS was very inspiring to Sasha. She's added yet another type of quad to her arsenal and landed it first try, impossible is not in this girl's vocabulary!

That is at the same time as learning a 3A and trying that, plus 4 other quads.

Putting all of that together and landing them all in the same program/competition is very very tough but I'd never say anything is impossible for Sasha.

Please don't compare Sasha to Nathan. She does not have the testosterone he does that allows him to do these incredible things with ease. What Sasha is doing is amazing and awe-inspiring. But is it the right thing to do for her career at 15 years of age? The answer is no. I can see it now Sasha will try to be the female version of Nathan Chen and she will keep losing to Aliona. And we already wonder about the physical toll all of this is taking on Sasha while Alyiona just floats around the ice watching her main competitors beat the hell out of themselves with quad attempts after quad attempts after quad attempts. As I said in an earlier post Its risk and reward for Sasha both risk and reward are immense for her. I certainly commend her for what she's doing for the sport but I'm also concerned about her.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I really wish the Alina injured talk would stop. It’s always the same. She skates fine in the SP. The injury narrative is getting old. She didn’t skate well. Has she skated both programs clean this season? Has she been injured all season? She’s struggling this season. Just as other skaters have struggled before her.

Again, we saw this from her last season. Bad showing at GPF- then it was due to a trip on a chord. She struggles with pressure. I’m sure she’s under a lot of pressure- but all these girls are under that same pressure. Last season there was a lot of drama after GPF, Europeans and Nationals with talk of Alina not dealing with the pressure. Maybe she doesn’t like to compete?

If coaches and commentators are saying she is considering retiring then perhaps it’s time for her to consider what her goals are and if she’s capable of improving and achieving them. She’s the only one that knows what’s going on in her head.

The injury happened during her FS and after it had started off poorly enough so the injury was only a result of her rough skate and not the cause of it.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice

I feel like you shouldn’t assume that Alina is faking her injury. Injuries happen all the time in figure skating and Alina isn’t immune to them. If you actually saw any of the pictures or her injuries from last years GPF or Nationals, then you would know that Alina was actually injured. There was a picture of her jump roping from the grand prix final were she had swelling in her ankle and then pictures of the burn on Alina’s ankle were leaked at the end of the season last year as well. I highly doubt that Alina would fake her injury. She is a humble girl and seems to have high moral standards. Which makes me believe that she wouldn’t fake it. She could get in trouble and her reputation would be discredited if she got caught faking it. It would not be worth the risk. I am sorry if I am being a little too aggressive, I have a soft spot for Alina.

Also about the pressure part- Every skater has a different mentality. I don’t think that other skaters were under the same pressure as Alina either. She was the reigning olympic champion and everyone expected her to win every competition. In addition there was the drama that the media made up about her and Zhenya. She was also not used to having the spotlight on her as it had previously been on Zhenya.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I wonder what the speech will be about. Probably thanking fans?
Also, I'm all up for skaters doing something else at galas other than skating. Like singing? :) much like yuna and adam rippon did. but yuna's singing is beautiful unlike adam's LOL

Sofia has an unbelievable singing voice we need to hear her sing more.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Please don't compare Sasha to Nathan. She does not have the testosterone he does that allows him to do these incredible things with ease. What Sasha is doing is amazing and awe-inspiring. But is it the right thing to do for her career at 15 years of age? The answer is no. I can see it now Sasha will try to be the female version of Nathan Chen and she will keep losing to Aliona. And we already wonder about the physical toll all of this is taking on Sasha while Alyiona just floats around the ice watching her main competitors beat the hell out of themselves with quad attempts after quad attempts after quad attempts. As I said in an earlier post Its risk and reward for Sasha both risk and reward are immense for her. I certainly commend her for what she's doing for the sport but I'm also concerned about her.

We all know Sasha compares herself to the men and jokes that she would love to compete with them.
No she isn't Nathan but she herself seems to want to achieve something similar rather than win every time she goes out there.That seems to be her desire at the moment and who are we to try to tell her any differently? Even her coaches struggle to reel her in!