2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 988 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

macy

Record Breaker
oh how sad :( she had so much potential. i hope she finds much success in ice dance and it takes her on a rewarding and fulfilling path.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
So sad to hear about Alena, I loved her last season and thought she had so much potential. :(

Wishing her all the best in ice dance! Personally, I think she has the potential to be really successful there as well :yes:

I know it's pointless to think about the what ifs, but I can't help but wonder how different things would be if she had stayed with Panova. Who knows, she could've been fighting for a Junior Worlds spot right now.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Alyona writes she got injured in November 2018. Can we reconstruct a time line?

Nov 2018, Alyona competed in Junior Grand Prix finals, winning Bronze.
She competed in Moscow Cup, Bronze in KMS,
She competed in Children of Asia, Silver.
Sep 2019, She participated in Junior Open Test Skates.

So the injury caused her much pain she was able to deal with, since I don't recall her seeing distressed and uncomfortable.
Any regression in level and quality of skills noticeable in that period?

She'll be great in dance and finding a partner won't be a problem. You need to work together well, it is not necessary to be a couple or even best of friends. Trust, respect and the common goal should unite dance partners.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
As sad as it is... it's how it works in pretty much every professional sport.

For every Messi, Ronaldo, Ovechkin or Crosby there are tons of people who got their health destroyed and their family's budget drained in trying to be great. Only difference with this situation is that in most other sports, no one hears about them, because junior level competitions aren't that popular.

it's sad but...it's part of the game.

anyway I wish Alena all the best in her life

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Soccer players, and every other sport with physical contact has a much larger injury and injury related (early) retirement rate in all ages and levels. Many opponents try to destroy a promising forward on purpose.

Resa

On the Ice
Hm, maybe they will take Tarakanova back then?

- - - Updated - - -

I would love for her to get some good programs again

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Petrosyan is such a beautiful skater. Jumps looked solid and strong today as well. Samodelkina nailed the 3A3T,-wow. So many of the girls in the 60-65 range will challenge in the future as well-I thought they were just as strong as the more well known girls.

Petrosyan's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH5tRWyqy9g

Also, Ice Age, Kids participant Mariya Markholiya is now a Khrustalniy skater.

RE: Tarakanova, depends on how she left, with or without presenting flowers. Training in Khrustalniy is not for everybody, no matter your ambitions, it requires a particular mindset.

For those who follow Moscow Championships, live score board and leaderboard is here: http://freeskating.info:5700/live_results/ , you can click on the names. But no way to scroll back to the girls' competitions of today?

Scott512

Record Breaker
Alyona Kanysheva is leaving singles for ice dance. She says her injury was too serious for jumps. (Info from her Instagram account.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B73nI8GJ4xo/?igshid=rnocr1zhfd7d

:(
Why do this now she's 15? I think this girl will be wonderful with dance because she's tall and artistic. But I would want her to stay in singles let somebody like Nugumanova or Gubanova perhaps take their artistry and feel to dance once there singles careers are over. I see no reason for Aliona to do this now. She's different than the other girl she's a lot taller and longer than all of the Russian girls and I would want to see how she would mature as a single skater. As she proved blowing away and Asher bacova in the Junior Grand Prix final 2018 she has a lot of talent and a big upside I see no reason for her to give it all up now at the age of 15 to move to dance. If it didn't work out with Eteri then find another coach for singles.

BabySloth

On the Ice
Country
Hungary
Why do this now she's 15? I think this girl will be wonderful with dance because she's tall and artistic. But I would want her to stay in singles let somebody like Nugumanova or Gubanova perhaps take their artistry and feel to dance once there singles careers are over. I see no reason for Aliona to do this now. She's different than the other girl she's a lot taller and longer than all of the Russian girls and I would want to see how she would mature as a single skater. As she proved blowing away and Asher bacova in the Junior Grand Prix final 2018 she has a lot of talent and a big upside I see no reason for her to give it all up now at the age of 15 to move to dance. If it didn't work out with Eteri then find another coach for singles.

She said she literally can't jump anymore...There's a reason she's switching to ice dance and not pairs...

SkateSkates

Medalist
I’m so upset about Kanysheva 😭 I was still holding out hope she was going to recover and we would maybe see her try to qualify for 2nd jr nationals this year. I wish her success in ice dance!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I’m so upset about Kanysheva 😭 I was still holding out hope she was going to recover and we would maybe see her try to qualify for 2nd jr nationals this year. I wish her success in ice dance!

Me too. After she posted that she was finally given a correct diagnosis 6 weeks ago and was able to treat her injury, and said that she’s excited to get all her jumps back, I thought it will be okay.
I guess the injury left some irreversible damage after all. Sad to learn about it, I hope she’ll reach a great success as an ice dancer!

Holy Headband

On the Ice

For every Messi, Ronaldo, Ovechkin or Crosby there are tons of people who got their health destroyed and their family's budget drained in trying to be great. Only difference with this situation is that in most other sports, no one hears about them, because junior level competitions aren't that popular.

it's sad but...it's part of the game.

anyway I wish Alena all the best in her life

She's not retiring.

Not sure why everyone is reacting like this. If her injury persists after she switches to ice dance and forces her to retire (or, even worse, causes her constant pain because she refuses to retire), that will suck, but we have no reason to assume that. As things stand, she's just announcing that she's switching from one discipline to another in order to make things easier on her body. Is that a bad thing? Do all ice dancers deserve our condolences? It's really not the end of the world.

Amei

Record Breaker
She's not retiring.

Not sure why everyone is reacting like this. If her injury persists after she switches to ice dance and forces her to retire (or, even worse, causes her constant pain because she refuses to retire), that will suck, but we have no reason to assume that. As things stand, she's just announcing that she's switching from one discipline to another in order to make things easier on her body. Is that a bad thing? Do all ice dancers deserve our condolences? It's really not the end of the world.

Is it the end of the world - no, none of this is really, but there's nothing wrong with anyone being sad that a 14 year old who we can assume was living and working towards her dream is now having to deviate from that dream. Hopefully she's at peace with her decision and there's no resentment or sadness for her on what might've been

The good news for her, based on what very little I pay attention to ice dance - Russian ice dance does not appear to be anywhere close to the blood bath of Russian singles ladies skating.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She said she literally can't jump anymore...There's a reason she's switching to ice dance and not pairs...

What exactly was her injury? Hip dislocation?
Torn ACL and MCL? Broken leg?

I guess jumping quads wasn't right for Alena. It ruined her career. She was so good in the Junior Grand Prix final at 13 years old and she won the bronze medal and we all had major hope for her. Especially after she went to Eteri. That move certainly didn't play out a way we expected. Poor kid. So unfortunate.