2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 143 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I swore off TSL a few years ago after Jenny Kirk left. She was a good balance to dave. Since then just catty. I hope more people recognize this and stop giving him any screen time.

I got annoyed by it and stopped watching. I think they try to ramp up their views by being unnecessary dramatic, speculative and controversial.
I would expect a channel called "The Skating Lesson" to be more about what the skaters do on the ice, it might be better being renamed "The Skating Gossip"

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It seems that Bradie and her team made some significant changes in the layout, so that may have affected her as well... It really looks very different from Canada's layout: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1920/CSPOL2019/CSPOL2019_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf vs http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

I was in shock to hear Bradie didn't will gold at Warsaw. it seemed to be so impossiblle. Like she really had to blow it not to win. Well She hasa the GPF which is more important but still that has to be the biggest upset almost ever. I trust she will be fine for GPF.

\ithink Polina should be proud of herself; she has really struggled with injuried and yes, kudos to Gracie. i hope she can enjoy Nats. win or lose. Oh the drama. Mariah v. Bradie. What will Gracie, Ting and karen do? Liu is a bit anti iclimatic as she is not world eligible. I hope Polina can realize that she still is a natioanl level skater. Can you imagine if she was healthy and not so school focussed? What happened to Poo? I wonder if we will see Starr's true potential or if Courtney or Megan can get it together?

Amei

Record Breaker
It seems that Bradie and her team made some significant changes in the layout, so that may have affected her as well... It really looks very different from Canada's layout: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/results/1920/CSPOL2019/CSPOL2019_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf vs http://www.isuresults.com/results/s...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

Yeah, this layout doesn't look like someone getting ready to be competitive at the GPF or at Worlds where she'll be going up against skaters with triple axels and quads in combination - there wasn't a single triple-triple combination

journalist101

On the Ice
Yeah, this layout doesn't look like someone getting ready to be competitive at the GPF or at Worlds - there wasn't a single triple-triple combination

Bradie tripped and fell going into the Lutz-Toe combination so she only had 6 jumping passes. It looks like a fluke fall that rattled her. She’ll be fine.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yeah, this layout doesn't look like someone getting ready to be competitive at the GPF or at Worlds where she'll be going up against skaters with triple axels and quads in combination - there wasn't a single triple-triple combination

She fell setting up the 3Lz-3T. If you look at the protocols posted from those two events, she did 12 elements in Canada and 11 in Warsaw. They were basically the same, element 1 in Warsaw was element 2 in Canada, etc. She tried a 3T after her first 2A and didn't attempt a second lutz-toe, but she might have been hesitant after falling on her improvised 2A-3T.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
A surprise fall when setting up your first jumping pass is very unfortunate, I can hardly think of worse timing. She did her best to rescue the rest of her program, she didn't give up

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amazing how things can change in just a year. After the disaster that was COR last season where i was to be honest hoping Gracie would retire so we could remember her in better days as one of the best skaters in the world and not what we saw last year i feel like her gutting it out and making Nationals feels like when she came from behind and won her 2nd title in 2016. I'm so proud if her. We might never see Gracie ever reach those heights again but she just won a personal victory. :clap:

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Amazing how things can change in just a year. After the disaster that was COR last season where i was to be honest hoping Gracie would retire so we could remember her in better days as one of the best skaters in the world and not what we saw last year i feel like her gutting it out and making Nationals feels like when she came from behind and won her 2nd title in 2016. I'm so proud if her. :clap:

She is an inspiration :biggrin:

She didn't give up and she's fought so hard to reach her first big goal

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Bradie’s planned lay out was only altered because of the fall going into the triple triple, had that not happened everything would have been the same (she didn’t have the ride out on the second lutz to put a combo on it)

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Aargggh Bradie!!!! What the hell?????

I spend all my energy freaking out about Rika I don't want to have to add Bradie to the list too.

*Breathes*

Better to have freak falls now than later. At least she's got that out of her system. Good on her for not melting down though. I hope she's ok healthwise and it was just a weird once off thing.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Amazing how things can change in just a year. After the disaster that was COR last season where i was to be honest hoping Gracie would retire so we could remember her in better days as one of the best skaters in the world and not what we saw last year i feel like her gutting it out and making Nationals feels like when she came from behind and won her 2nd title in 2016. I'm so proud if her. We might never see Gracie ever reach those heights again but she just won a personal victory. :clap:

Don’t ever count out our girl.❤️

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Bradie’s planned lay out was only altered because of the fall going into the triple triple, had that not happened everything would have been the same (she didn’t have the ride out on the second lutz to put a combo on it)

Yeah, I’m not too worried for her. She was clearly rattled by the fluke fall going IN to her lutz too, almost any skater would be... that’s really a strange mistake that never happens in practice I’m sure. (Whereas falling on jumps or even missing spins happens so you know how to recover from that error). Then mere seconds after this odd fall she had to do the double axel and tried to add the 3t combo but was still shaken up. The rest of the program was clean, except for not doing a combo on the “second” lutz, the second lutz didn’t have tons of flow and in competitions past she would have gritted it out (probably w a ur but she always does it and usually stands up), but was worried that another fall would incur a -4 point deduction. This long was pretty clearly a fluke imo.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
We might never see Gracie ever reach those heights again but she just won a personal victory. :clap:

It was good to see her improve from her last outing and achieving her goal of qualifying for Nationals.

I did have mixed feeling watching her LP though. Her team has got to work even harder on her conditioning and stamina. She cannot afford to double those jumps in the second half and forego the 2A-3T combo she plans. I think this will prevent her from a surprise strong placement at Nationals, because you can have an on (or off) day with the jumps, but your stamina level can't be better in competition than it is in training.

rlopen

On the Ice
It was good to see her improve from her last outing and achieving her goal of qualifying for Nationals.

I did have mixed feeling watching her LP though. Her team has got to work even harder on her conditioning and stamina. She cannot afford to double those jumps in the second half and forego the 2A-3T combo she plans. I think this will prevent her from a surprise strong placement at Nationals, because you can have an on (or off) day with the jumps, but your stamina level can't be better in competition than it is in training.

I mean you can clearly see improvements in the FS regarding the stamina. I think it’s something she’s working on but not something she’ll have back for a little bit as it takes a long time to build up endurance and stamina.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean you can clearly see improvements in the FS regarding the stamina. I think it’s something she’s working on but not something she’ll have back for a little bit as it takes a long time to build up endurance and stamina.

She has what, 2 months? If you look at her progress between 3rd place at Regionals and 3rd place at Eastern Sectionals- much more competitive - I think you’ll see an enormous difference. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see another big difference and a top 10 finish. I will never count her out of anything ever again. Realistically, I don’t think many people thought she had a chance of either making the tech minimums or coming in 4th or higher, let alone both. And that smile with her hand over her mouth at the end of the long - that is pure joy. It’s only happened to me a couple of times in my life. On top of that, I think she’s a better competitor because she doesn’t let a fall freak her out. I also think she’s now this amazing combination of broken but now healed and a total bad arse. Sorry for the tangent.

Makemi

Rinkside
Oh goodness Bradie! And here I was just coming off the high of such a great weekend... Mariah getting her 2nd bronze, Bradie qualifying for the GPF, Gracie making it back to Nationals! , the Nationals roster in general being set....

...and then I hear about Warsaw Cup. :( I'm glad it wasn't an injury. I haven't been able to get myself to watch it but from what I've been hearing (and as others have said above) I don't think Bradie was trying a new layout but trying to salvage what she could after a freak fall. When you're so used to doing something a certain way, it's really hard to adapt on the fly. Case in-point, Shoma at RC when he just skated through his 4F and had to Yolo those 4Ts at the end (which also didn't go well for him). As to why she fell, I doubt it was because she was thinking of the GPF. Likely just a loss in concentration (like Trusova falling before her SP at RC), maybe bad ice... It's unfortunate but it's better that it happened here than at a bigger/more important competition. (Also another reason why I don't think it was a new layout is because I don't think Denise Meyers was there? I doubt Bradie would try something drastic without her there).

Anyway, I think she'll go home, work as normal, and be ready to slay at the GPF. :agree:

And congratulations again to Gracie for making Nationals! That smile at the end of the FS was everything. I'm so proud of her for coming all this way after everything she's been through. Sure there are definitely things for her to work on but she's making steady steps and I'm confident we'll seen an even better Gracie at Nats! (A pity Polina couldn't join her, oh so close! Maybe next year we'll be able to see Polina back too!...or *nudge* Hey Mirai...)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has what, 2 months? If you look at her progress between 3rd place at Regionals and 3rd place at Eastern Sectionals- much more competitive - I think you’ll see an enormous difference. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see another big difference and a top 10 finish. I will never count her out of anything ever again. Realistically, I don’t think many people thought she had a chance of either making the tech minimums or coming in 4th or higher, let alone both. And that smile with her hand over her mouth at the end of the long - that is pure joy. It’s only happened to me a couple of times in my life. On top of that, I think she’s a better competitor because she doesn’t let a fall freak her out. I also think she’s now this amazing combination of broken but now healed and a total bad arse. Sorry for the tangent.

If you look at the list of scores for nationals competitors, she's 10th already IIRC. Whether she can repeat that, who knows? I certainly did NOT foresee her improving her regionals score by 40 points in a month, so I think it's fair to say her nationals performance is impossible to predict. I wouldn't be surprised to see more improvement, but she's about as big a wild card as it's possible to get right now. For my part, I hope she nails it. ;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If you look at the list of scores for nationals competitors, she's 10th already IIRC. Whether she can repeat that, who knows? I certainly did NOT foresee her improving her regionals score by 40 points in a month, so I think it's fair to say her nationals performance is impossible to predict. I wouldn't be surprised to see more improvement, but she's about as big a wild card as it's possible to get right now. For my part, I hope she nails it. ;)

It was an improvement. She did well upping her levels on spins and steps, but in her Regionals LP she actually landed three triples ("e" on 3F) like she did at Sectionals (< on the 3Lz). She did much better with her 2A this weekend. Gracie was focused and didn't make some of the silly mistakes she did last month, but I do think the score improvement reflects more of her getting comfortable competing again than any drastic change in her form. Plus, 13 points of that improvement was LP PCS alone.