2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 163 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I am concerned about is the USFS boosting Alysa's PCS for a cleanish performance and ignoring her underrotations simply to elevate her as their number 1. I absolutely think any of her international performances this year should not rank ahead of a clean Bradie or Mariah but if she stays on her feet I feel like the USFS will prop her up and give her scores she wouldn't get close to internationally.

Again, the USFS should not be "boosting" or elevating or propping up anyone. There seems to be a belief among some people that the USFS management team gets together and decides in advance that some skater should be "boosted" or "propped up." That just a belief. What is a fact is that Alysa's TES potential is far above any other US skater. She can win without a "boost." And if she does, she will deserve it.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Again, the USFS should not be "boosting" or elevating or propping up anyone. There seems to be a belief among some people that the USFS management team gets together and decides in advance that some skater should be "boosted" or "propped up." That just a belief. What is a fact is that Alysa's TES potential is far above any other US skater. She can win without a "boost." And if she does, she will deserve it.

The USFS has always propped their favorites, I don't think that happens by meetings but I do think the federation has clear favoring that goes on. If Alysa UR's jumps and they don't get called I will be very upset as that can't help her or anyone else. Same if Bradie or Mariah have UR's that don't get called.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The USFS has always propped their favorites, I don't think that happens by meetings but I do think the federation has clear favoring that goes on. If Alysa UR's jumps and they don't get called I will be very upset as that can't help her or anyone else. Same if Bradie or Mariah have UR's that don't get called.

The only time I can think of the tech panel judging rotation hard was 2018, when it was trying to hold down Karen with a bunch of strict calls (the judging panel wasn't having it, though). Everyone else has mostly gotten away with close (or even not that close) calls over the years.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

As long as they judge everyone the same. BTW, Alysa hadn't been called for URs until the GPF. And some of those UR calls were borderline. And I disagree they have always propped their favorites. They may have had favorites, but the winner was the one who skated the best--see later-years Michelle vs up-and comer-Sasha.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
As a huge fan of both Bradie and Alysa this is going to be really interesting.

I really admire Bradie and Mariah for setting themselves up so well this season. Both have been highly competent and done the best they can in the current field of competition. They've given the panel no reason to believe they're going to flake out randomly so I think judging will be fair.

If Bradie had been a flake and melted down at GPF I would be concerned about them propping Alysa. As it stands Bradie seems to have established a reputation for herself as being artistic yet stable. I think the scores will be fair.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
As a huge fan of both Bradie and Alysa this is going to be really interesting.

I really admire Bradie and Mariah for setting themselves up so well this season. Both have been highly competent and done the best they can in the current field of competition. They've given the panel no reason to believe they're going to flake out randomly so I think judging will be fair.

If Bradie had been a flake and melted down at GPF I would be concerned about them propping Alysa. As it stands Bradie seems to have established a reputation for herself as being artistic yet stable. I think the scores will be fair.

I think I'm more nervous about Mariah being scored unfairly than Bradie. I think Mariah's skating this season has been on another level and that she could be national champion but since she didn't make the grand prix final despite her success I don't think that she really has a shot at being national champion. I think the USFS will place her third if she, Bradie and Alysa are clean and I don't think would be fair. I think her skating has a next level maturity this season and she's really been fantastic.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think I'm more nervous about Mariah being scored unfairly than Bradie. I think Mariah's skating this season has been on another level and that she could be national champion but since she didn't make the grand prix final despite her success I don't think that she really has a shot at being national champion. I think the USFS will place her third if she, Bradie and Alysa are clean and I don't think would be fair. I think her skating has a next level maturity this season and she's really been fantastic.

I think the cleaner of Bradie and Mariah will finish ahead of the other. Although Bradie made the GPF, Ashley did too (and medaled) in 2013-14 but still finished 4th at Nationals. I don't think the USFSA has a strong preference either way.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think the cleaner of Bradie and Mariah will finish ahead of the other. Although Bradie made the GPF, Ashley did too (and medaled) in 2013-14 but still finished 4th at Nationals. I don't think the USFSA has a strong preference either way.

Ashley finished 4th at nationals cause she bombed.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
What is everyone's TES if they are clean?

Then we can predict PCS.

If they are all clean it'll be tricky cuz Alysa will have a huge TES and there is only so much they can do to hold her down in PCS if she does clean 4lutzes and 3Axels.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I must add I'm having a lovely time because I like all three ladies so I can't really lose here. It's nice to have something to look forward to where I'm probably not going to rage!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In an interview with Nick McCarvel Gracie confirmed she is no longer working with Vincent.
https://twitter.com/NickMcCarvel/status/1204854106499801089

Very interesting: thanks for the tweet. I also like Nick’s preview quote that Gracie wants to show that she is serious and here to play for real.

Whatever you will say about TSL, (and I have said plenty bad about them) when it comes to coaching changes, they have their sources. :shrug:

Happy Skates

Final Flight
What is everyone's TES if they are clean?

Then we can predict PCS.

If they are all clean it'll be tricky cuz Alysa will have a huge TES and there is only so much they can do to hold her down in PCS if she does clean 4lutzes and 3Axels.

If Alysa lands 3 3a and 2 4lz cleanly, which she is capable of, I don't think that they can PCS Bradie or Mariah to the win, even if they have clean skates. What was the PCS difference last year, 10ish points? They can't possibly make the difference bigger as Alysa has improved both her skating skills and her reputation. If she does a performance like the JGPF however, I'm guessing they'd put clean Bradie and Mariah above her. The question is what if she does something in between. How many under-rotations will it take for Alysa to lose to the other two mentioned? Bradie and Mariah have been exponentially more consistent this season too, so them being clean isn't nearly as big of an if as it was last year. Although Bradie has been prone to under-rotations too, although hers are on triples which are less costly to the score. Bradie and Mariah have both scored higher than Alysa internationally, but thats with Senior PCS and a choreo sequence. Overall I think its going to be a close fight, and I'm not sure what outcome the UFSFA would benefit from more. If Alysa wins, they can continue making a media riot of her and continue to build her up as their star. However, it might also be a good idea to build Bradie and Mariah up for Worlds, where they have a decent shot at earning back 3 spots for the ladies. We'll especially want that for the 2022 Olympics, when Alysa is finally eligible.

Nathan13

Medalist
I'm most excited to see who gets Pewter...Emily Zhang I think has the highest score domestically this season, but I hope Ting can come back fighting. There's also Hannah, Amber, Karen, Starr and more. Whoever it is will also be going to 4CC, so it's an important medal to win.

Amei

Record Breaker
The judges could have also lowballed Mirai on GOE and PCS (for that program that had almost no choreography at all), or slammed her with numerous < for almost every jump in that program, but they didn't.

https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_us_fs_champs/CAT001SEG002.html

Ashley beat Mirai in PCS and Mirai had only 2 elements, a Choreographic sequence and a layback spin get more than 1 point in GOE, everything else was under 1 point.

withwings

On the Ice
The judges could have also lowballed Mirai on GOE and PCS (for that program that had almost no choreography at all), or slammed her with numerous < for almost every jump in that program, but they didn't.

… judges not only could they should have judged fairly, but they did not
and Mirai program indeed had almost no choreography

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And back to American ladies today. Bradie has firmly entrenched herself as no. 1. It looks like Ting and Mariah fight for the second spot as leading contenders. But with Ting not being in the picture this year I would say mariah is the fave. I wonder if someone takes the silver other than Ting or Mariah well they be Nagusued?

Happy Skates

Final Flight
And back to American ladies today. Bradie has firmly entrenched herself as no. 1. It looks like Ting and Mariah fight for the second spot as leading contenders. But with Ting not being in the picture this year I would say mariah is the fave. I wonder if someone takes the silver other than Ting or Mariah well they be Nagusued?

Thats a good question, although I feel like Mariah (or Bradie) would have to bomb for someone else to take the second senior spot (other than maybe Ting at her best). But the answer is probably yes, with their Grand Prix medals. Or perhaps they would send them all to 4CC and decide after that.

And does anyone happen to have any idea what is happening with Ting? I miss her skating so much, her withdrawing from the GP is one of my least favorite parts of the season so far. I can't really have high expectations for Nationals for her, considering she's missed so much training time and this will only really be her second competition of the year (if she goes , she's on the start list so far), but at the same time I really want her to at least get that 4CC spot. Otherwise she'll barely have gotten to compete this season :(. Her gorgeous new free program deserves better.