2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

natsulian

Final Flight
I wonder if she is planning to skate on the JGP this year. The 3Lo is the required solo jump, so she won't be able to use that combo if she does.

Izzo said in a recent interview that she will be skating as a junior internationally, but senior domestically. She is our reigning Junior Champion, so I'm confident she will receive two JGP's. I think she might go for the 3F+3T or 3Lz+3T in the Short.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Izzo said in a recent interview that she will be skating as a junior internationally, but senior domestically. She is our reigning Junior Champion, so I'm confident she will receive two JGP's. I think she might go for the 3F+3T or 3Lz+3T in the Short.

I don't remember her doing a clean combo with 3T in comp. Do you know if she has before?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I wonder if she is planning to skate on the JGP this year. The 3Lo is the required solo jump, so she won't be able to use that combo if she does.

I would certainly assume she will skate the JGP as she's the junior national champion and has only done one JGP season. Probably she will get a senior Challenger as well and skate as a senior at Nationals. It makes sense for her to train the combo if she wants to be competitive there.

natsulian

Final Flight
I don't remember her doing a clean combo with 3T in comp. Do you know if she has before?

I don't remember her ever executing a clean combo with a 3T in competition. Izzo has executed a 3Lz+3Lo, 2A+Eu+3S, and 3F+3Lo, but not a clean 3F+3T or 3Lz+3T to my knowledge. Izzo said her primary focus this season is to medal at the JGP and to continue improving. Also, she will be attending Harvard after this season I believe.

katymay

Medalist
When is the ladies free skate? Is it today?

I found Alysa Liu here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZagyRqPzStALsVx2Uf0RGQ
Will probably disappear in record time, so watch it/download it fast.
Not the most successful outing, but the 3A from the rocker (popped) is so difficult. Quads were a no-go tonight, but she went for them. It was smart of her coaching team to pick slow music, speed is an issue. She was able to throw some nice jumps at the end, clearly stamina is not an issue for her. Parts of the program were pretty empty, but last year she was loaded with transitions, so I'm sure that will change over time. She has lovely edging, just doesn't get a good grip on back and front crossovers, stiff legs them.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Alysa probably won, based on the video I saw, but how did Megan Wessenberg and Gabriella Izzo do? And Paige Rydberg?

I can only comment in general as I didn't take notes and probably wouldn't do a good job IDing the less obvious jumps if I did. Everyone was a little up & a little down. Megan & Gabriella both had a couple misses (I think pops, which is their usual M.O.; but I could be wrong) and some nice stronger highlights. I would guess Izzo finished top 3? I think Megan's program has some nice build at the end so some good potential. Paige didn't rotate much. Emmy had a nice strong performance until the end when she blew her last jump and also I would guess popped the beginning of her three jump combo (unless it was intended to be a double double double).

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Not the most successful outing, but the 3A from the rocker (popped) is so difficult. Quads were a no-go tonight, but she went for them. It was smart of her coaching team to pick slow music, speed is an issue. She was able to throw some nice jumps at the end, clearly stamina is not an issue for her.

She is still a junior skater but Alysa Liu represents Team USA's Team A along with two other big names: Mariah Bell and Bradie Tennell. I think she is going to dominate the junior circuit when she makes her international debut this season.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I found Alysa Liu here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZagyRqPzStALsVx2Uf0RGQ
Not the most successful outing, but the 3A from the rocker (popped) is so difficult. Quads were a no-go tonight, but she went for them. It was smart of her coaching team to pick slow music, speed is an issue. She was able to throw some nice jumps at the end, clearly stamina is not an issue for her. Parts of the program were pretty empty, but last year she was loaded with transitions, so I'm sure that will change over time. She has lovely edging, just doesn't get a good grip on back and front crossovers, stiff legs them.

Thank you! Wow throwing these combos at the end. Yes, she clearly has great stamina. I also love that they added those transitions, they really want that GOE :D
Those Quads had much more height than before and the rotation looked better on the second one despite the fall.
I Hope Alysa takes a rest from competitions now before JGP season starts. Or is she doing more comps?

natsulian

Final Flight
Thank you! Wow throwing these combos at the end. Yes, she clearly has great stamina. I also love that they added those transitions, they really want that GOE :D
Those Quads had much more height than before and the rotation looked better on the second one despite the fall.
I Hope Alysa takes a rest from competitions now before JGP season starts. Or is she doing more comps?

Alysa usually does CCIA, Broadmoor, and Glacier Falls. This year, she’s only done Broadmoor and Glacier Falls so I think she’s done with summer competitions. Those combos at the end... insane when you think about how hard she fell on those quads and they were all at the end of the program. Alysa has about a month to prepare for Lake Placid. Additionally, people don’t seem to understand just how difficult the transitions in and out of her 3A are... and she has the most demanding FS of all the ladies right now. Best of luck to the young girl.

skatenewbie

Medalist
i hope Alysa takes out the quad from her FS but with all these attempt its unlikely she take it out. The thing is she can't do 3A in SP and if she fell on the quad and get </<< (which i think most of her quad is still < ) in FS its gonna lose her points that she earned if she land the 3A earlier, not to mention sometimes she pop it or fall on the 3A.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Tastes differ, obviously. I think it's already a powerful, grandly musical skate, with space to enjoy the moves. She owns the space, stretches out with her arms and legs, and fills the arena with her passion and musical intelligence. Of course she'll be working on the jumps and they'll improve as she gets used to putting them in competition.

I had an immediate impression that she's grown; her legs and arms seem longer. Maybe it was the camera position, though.

ETA: that thumbnail picture shows really well how high her split jump is!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
i hope Alysa takes out the quad from her FS but with all these attempt its unlikely she take it out. The thing is she can't do 3A in SP and if she fell on the quad and get </<< (which i think most of her quad is still < ) in FS its gonna lose her points that she earned if she land the 3A earlier, not to mention sometimes she pop it or fall on the 3A.
She can do the 3A in her SP in juniors it is not forbidden she only has to do it in combo :) she has to do 3A+3T, 2A, 3Lo and then she can do it in Juniors :)

frida80

Record Breaker
Alysa usually does CCIA, Broadmoor, and Glacier Falls. This year, she’s only done Broadmoor and Glacier Falls so I think she’s done with summer competitions. Those combos at the end... insane when you think about how hard she fell on those quads and they were all at the end of the program. Alysa has about a month to prepare for Lake Placid. Additionally, people don’t seem to understand just how difficult the transitions in and out of her 3A are... and she has the most demanding FS of all the ladies right now. Best of luck to the young girl.

She’s probably assigned to Philly International Jnr. As well. It’s a good chance to practicethe program in front of an international panel before taking a month to focus on JGP.

natsulian

Final Flight
I hope they change Alysa’s layout:
- 3A+3T
- 4Lz
- 3A
- 3S
- 3F+Eu+3S
- 3Lz+2T
- 3Lo

If Alysa botches the 4Lz, she can still rely on her 3A’s plus the other combos. Doing a two 3A and two 4Lz program and hoping they are rotated is too demanding, even for the most talented skater. I think they’re moving too fast too quickly. We still have two more seasons until the Olympic season so she has time to grow and add in the harder elements. Of course, Alysa has a history of botching one program at Glacier Falls (last year I think it was the short where she fell and under-rotated her jumps).