2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 78 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

andromache

Record Breaker
I am surprised that a 3A combo is allowed in the junior ladies SP! Just assumed it wasn't, honestly. But since it is allowed, not surprised to see them going for it! But it will be very high risk/high reward. If she botches the 3A and doesn't get her combo off, then she won't be in the final group going into the LP.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I am surprised that a 3A combo is allowed in the junior ladies SP! Just assumed it wasn't, honestly. But since it is allowed, not surprised to see them going for it! But it will be very high risk/high reward. If she botches the 3A and doesn't get her combo off, then she won't be in the final group going into the LP.

From what I understand, the combo has been extremely consistent in practice. It's a risk; but a calculated risk.

natsulian

Final Flight
I’m more impressed by Alysa’s attention to detail in the choreography and speed. Skating skills have improved DRASTICALLY.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Wow, she's so young and hungry! How many points better is a 3axel than a 3lutz? I guess she won't do the 3A+3T in the second half?

I’m more impressed by Alysa’s attention to detail in the choreography and speed. Skating skills have improved DRASTICALLY.

That too. She's developing so fast.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

It has been for a long time. Mao Asada was the first Junior Lady to do a 3A+2Lo in the short program :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

It has been for a long time. Mao Asada was the first Junior Lady to do a 3A+2Lo in the short program :)

And it was weird then like it is now I think; that you are allowed to do a 3A combination and then have to do the required 2A.

Did Mao also do it as a senior before the 3A was allowed as a single jump?

sheetz

Record Breaker
I am surprised that a 3A combo is allowed in the junior ladies SP! Just assumed it wasn't, honestly. But since it is allowed, not surprised to see them going for it! But it will be very high risk/high reward.

It's actually not particularly high reward. Difference in BV is only 1.58 points. But maybe they think they can just have fun with it because there's nobody in the field who can threaten her?

macy

Record Breaker
It's actually not particularly high reward. Difference in BV is only 1.58 points. But maybe they think they can just have fun with it because there's nobody in the field who can threaten her?

i think they have a clue as to how close she and kamila will be after the short once they compete against each other- she wants to have an edge going into the free.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
i think they have a clue as to how close she and kamila will be after the short once they compete against each other- she wants to have an edge going into the free.
Wouldn't surprise me if they added the second 4Lz again to the free program for the JGPF.

skatenewbie

Medalist
its 2.1 (12.2 vs 10.1), and 1.09 if we compare to backload 3Lz-3T (12.2 vs 11.11) assuming Alysa wont be backloading her 3A-3T. Not much but why not? Its advantage also higher GOE as well since 3A have higher BV than 3Lz. But if the quality is not that good then it won't really matter.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
its 2.1 (12.2 vs 10.1), and 1.09 if we compare to backload 3Lz-3T (12.2 vs 11.11) assuming Alysa wont be backloading her 3A-3T. Not much but why not? Its advantage also higher GOE as well since 3A have higher BV than 3Lz. But if the quality is not that good then it won't really matter.

1.09 plus the added bv of backloading the 3Lo.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa’s progress in her skating skills has been tremendous. Once she develops even more speed and deep edges, she will mature into a beautiful skater (not to say she isn’t already).

gkelly

Record Breaker

And it was weird then like it is now I think; that you are allowed to do a 3A combination and then have to do the required 2A.

This was always true in the men's SP for as long as the solo axel was required to be double (1973 through 1998).

If the combination requires or allows a triple jump, then triple axel meets that requirement.

We first started seeing men's short programs with triple axel in combination with the then-required double toe or double loop, and solo double axel, in the mid-1980s.

Since 1989 season there has been no required double jump in the short program jump combination and triple-triple combos were allowed for men (for women as of 1997 season).

Ca. 1989-90, there was also no restriction on repeating the same jump in different jump passes. So some of the top male jumpers did 3A+3T, solo 3A as the jump preceded by steps (without much in the way of preceding steps), and the required 2A. (And at least one skater did 3Lz+2T, solo 3Lz, and double axel.) Then the ISU closed that loophole so that the solo non-double-axel jump could not be the same as either jump in the combination. For most the 1990s 3A in combination and solo 2A was state of the art in men's SPs, until they allowed solo quad as the jump out of steps and/or 3A as the required axel beginning with the 1999 season.

From the mid-1970s until the mid-1990s, women were allowed (but not required) one triple in the SP, as one of the jumps in the combination. In fall of 1991 both Tonya Harding and Midori Ito included 3A+2T as their combinations, along with the required 2A and their choice of double jump (as then required) out of steps -- 2Lz or 2F as they preferred.

And, yes, Mao Asada also included 3A combination and solo 2A as a junior. I don't recall offhand if she ever went that route in seniors.

So 3A combination and required 2A has a long history in the sport for short programs in events where the rules at the time required solo 2A and required or allowed at least one triple in the combination.

andromache

Record Breaker
And, yes, Mao Asada also included 3A combination and solo 2A as a junior. I don't recall offhand if she ever went that route in seniors.

So 3A combination and required 2A has a long history in the sport for short programs in events where the rules at the time required solo 2A and required or allowed at least one triple in the combination.

Mao did 3A-2T and 2A in the Vancouver Olympic SP.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
If she falls or steps out on the 3A will it be judged as 3A+COMBO or 3A*+COMBO? I assume the former right? So it’s only a risk in the sense that 3A is more difficult than 3L, not that she will lose all points if she doesn’t get the combination done?

mrrice

Record Breaker
If she falls or steps out on the 3A will it be judged as 3A+COMBO or 3A*+COMBO? I assume the former right? So it’s only a risk in the sense that 3A is more difficult than 3L, not that she will lose all points if she doesn’t get the combination done?

That's a good question. If she has a scratchy landing on the axel, can she tack a 3T onto her Loop later in the program? I thought that was only allowed in the LP. :scratch:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Probably that, and just have her get the 3A out there as much as possible in competitive pressure situations. Her junior results will have little impact on her skating legacy, but being comfortable executing difficult elements under pressure will pay dividends when she's a senior and needs the confidence to place well in big events.