2019 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The name on the bio was like "Josh n Brett n Chad" except with different names. It was something. And that came right after a guy with a rifle in each hand and a bottle of whiskey in his mouth. There's been a lot of swiping left.

I can't imagine why; they all sound like quite a catch!

As one becomes older.....one becomes less discriminating.

In the past, when I would be asked what my "type" was or what I liked in a man, I would give a list. I'm currently in a (long) dry spell. When I'm asked that now, I reply with "breathing is fine....sometimes, that can be optional."

:laugh2:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL, I'm sorry for Brooklee but I was just thinking of other reasons skaters could withdraw...

Skater Jane Doe has withdrawn from the competition because she has to wash her hair.

Skater Jane Doe has withdrawn from the competition because she was sick of listening to her own music.

Skater Jane Doe has withdrawn from the competition because she's tired of the announcer pronouncing her name wrong.

Skater Jane Doe has withdrawn from the competition because she's suffering from Sequin Overload.

Skater Jane Doe has withdrawn from the competition because she got a better offer.

Skater Jane Doe has withdrawn from the competition because she's did not recognize her name when called by the announcer and was too late to the ice.

madison

Record Breaker
Its the same soft lyrical style for all three of them this year. With similar soft kind of movements and expressions. Noone is skating to some dramatic piece of music, latino rhythms or modern pop, rock, rnb songs. So any of those three can skate to the music of other two, it will be the same. In that regard i agree with Johnny.

Wakaba did and also this season is doing pop, electro music.
Also I dont see Rika's free and Kaori's programs as lyrical, soft.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Wakaba did and also this season is doing pop, electro music.
Also I dont see Rika's free and Kaori's programs as lyrical, soft.

Nobody has taken Wakaba, or Rika Hongo, or Satoko (she has a tango this season!) into the consideration. It was an opinion on Japanese skaters programs who skated here. And I can bet that many's first overall impression on those would be in that fashion. Of course you will see the difference if you are watching those programs multiple times by dissecting every part of it.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Two words: Rika Queen. The other skaters --Kaori and Bradie in particular--didn't step up to grab a spot on the podium. Both made mistakes, unlike our Queen.

katymay

Medalist
If you want to call Rika‘s Beautiful Storm inexpressive and non-memorable, by any means, do that. I think it‘s one of the best programs this season, with a unique message and lots of subtle details. Kaori is more of an athletic skater but her programs are very different compared to Mai‘s or Rika‘s. Mai might be the closest to what you said, since I don‘t believe she‘s got the best package this season, her programs could be a bit more memorable. But all in all, Japanese ladies have long ago moved on from the past, Rika, Wakaba, Satoko, Kaori and Mai all have different personalities and show that in their skating. You might not like some of these programs but to say they are all the same... well, you‘re allowed to have an opinion but please don‘t present it as facts.

All three have beautifully crafted programs. Exquisite choreography. And yet? As Johnny said, I'm sort of bored. Still, all three of the programs are constructed to maximize points, and they do just that. The programs are elegant and sophisticated with difficult transitions and edging, and since all three girls have a light airy style, I would expect their programs to always be somewhat like this.

SXTN

Final Flight
Sambo 70 is equally bold as genius. By adding the inconsistent 4S (the only key is full rotation, a fall doesn't even matter), they could add a third triple-combination and they squeezed them all into the bonus. :laugh2: They would never let one tenth of a point on the table.

And somebody has to be the first to mention it: Lil'Bet went from Orser to Eteri and suddenly she gets consistent and her jumps look a lot better. :devil:

readernick

Medalist
Sambo 70 is equally bold as genius. By adding the inconsistent 4S (the only key is full rotation, a fall doesn't even matter), they could add a third triple-combination and they squeezed them all into the bonus. :laugh2: They would never let one tenth of a point on the table.

And somebody has to be the first to mention it: Lil'Bet went from Orser to Eteri and suddenly she gets consistent and her jumps look a lot better. :devil:

One good competition does not equal consistent. If she keeps this up, then we can say that.

The jump layout is genius though given her limited jumping ability. I don’t think her jumps actually look better, she has and has always had rather bad posture in her jumps and the landing aren’t great but she landed them unlike in the past which is an improvement. Eteri’s school is good for her. She has the perfect body type for Eteri’s technique.

SXTN

Final Flight
she has and has always had rather bad posture in her jumps and the landing aren’t great but she landed them unlike in the past which is an improvement. Eteri’s school is good for her. She has the perfect body type for Eteri’s technique.

Especially on the lutz and flip she had that weird leg position. And on the lutz it got soooo much better under Eteri. They corrected it within half a year.

chloepoco

Medalist
To all of you grumbling about the Japanese ladies programs being “soft and lyrical”, what’s wrong with that? Personally, I find soft and lyrical beautiful in figure skating.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well Mai and Rika both got LOUD standing ovations for their “boring” programs, so I guess the audience in Anaheim has poor taste. :laugh:

sworddance21

On the Ice
Ouch, Bradie got hammered with underrotations.

But Elizabet's on the podium!

Didn't get to watch - too late on the East Coast - but it sure seems like the theoretical missing under-rotation calls from the men's SP showed up here to bite Bradie.

Xzander

Rinkside
I just watched all the performances. Rika was a deserved winner. I like her free and she is very, very promising. However, I feel that she doesen't deserves all those PCSs yet. Her movements are not finished (and she dosen't hold the poses any more than the young Russians). Exept her 3A, her triples are not that massive (especially 3Lz3T-combo). Elizabet was such a nice surprise, deserved the silver. (That 4S was so close!) I'm not a fan of Mai but solid skate from her. I was really rooting fro Kaori to win. She has really started to blossom this year and her free is wonderful. But the mistakes cost her the podium spot.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I'm disappointed for Bradie and Mariah, but not surprised.

As much as I like them both, Mariah seems to struggle with nerves. Bradie's artistry has improved, but she needs to get these technical issues under control. 3 under rotations is a lot. The lutz/loop combo has to go as well.

Thrilled for Rika, after the pop in the SP, she landed a great 3A in the long. Lil' Bet and Mai were wonderful as well.