2019 Four Continents Men's Free Skate | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Men's Free Skate

frida80

Record Breaker
And now I need to get out of my room and enjoy the not-so-clear Seoul air, thank you all for keeping me company and making me laugh. Hopefully see you at the FD, I really hope I can wake up and not sleep through the alarm again
Have a good day!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am glad someone shouted this loud. UR should be called consistently, and heavily pre-rotated +wacky landed jumps are not worthy huge GOE.
I've got my tin hat on people and I'm going to rant.
Who should have lead in the SP? Boyang.
Who should be leading now? Boyang.

If the tech controller had not just woken up 30 minutes ago, we could have had a more accurate podium. Boyang, Shoma, Keegan.
Stepping off my box, and going to drink (another) tall Yuzu-cocktail. ;)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
and I actually felt looking at the protocols that Keiji was underscored.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
And I love Shoma but I'm not sure the GOE for his jumps should be so much better than Jin's.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Yeah, Jun got slammed. He was in silver position at the end of his skate, but lost about 20 points. Zhou lost about 14.

Danny T

Medalist
UR calls have gone from 'I didn't see crap' to 'Maybe I'll see something depending on your name.' Meh.

But this is a truly good last group. I would rewatch it for sure, just skipping over the replay and KnC scores part :laugh: Plus, Keiji Tanaka and Tomoki Hiwatashi were fantastic as well. A good competition for lots of skaters who have been struggling in the first half of the season. :biggrin:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Congratulations Shoma, Boyang, and Vincent!

...Did Junhwan put whoopie cushions on the judges chairs or something? That was... an interesting turn of events with his score...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
UR's got to Vincent but I appreciate all the work he has done to improve artistically/pc wise. Great effort and he should be thrilled with a bronze. Congrats to Shoma who really got it together despite the injury and showed the champion marksmanship that makes him a great competitor. He did what he had to do under the pressure and circumstances and a well deserved win. finally gold at a major event - happy for him. Boyang also deserves kudos for remindingus he is a former world bronze medallist and is a contender yet again! Jason Brown lovely skating and great attempt at the quad. One of the more entertaining programs but in need of more tech was Keegan Messing. I thought Brendan Kerry did a great job despite a ho hum program. Tom our American future was wonderful despite a few bobbles - the future for the US looks bright even brighter when one considers the top American Nathan Chen was busy studying in his Yale dorm. I was sad to see Nam struggle and pop but if he is injured I am hoping he can skate like he did at thCanadian Natioanls - I really liked his program and look. I don't think Chen had too much to worry about from this competition.

yude

Record Breaker
I sincerely hope Vincent will work more on the elements other than the jumps. I know he is working on them, but I am feeling choosing one or two types of quads and polishing other skills would be better for him (I am not even his coach though).

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I've got my tin hat on people and I'm going to rant.
Who should have lead in the SP? Boyang.
Who should be leading now? Boyang.

If the tech controller had not just woken up 30 minutes ago, we could have had a more accurate podium. Boyang, Shoma, Keegan.
Stepping off my box, and going to drink (another) tall Yuzu-cocktail. ;)

It's an old argument really, and highly subjective, and Boyang is a sweetheart, but I thought his skate here was a horrible bore. Nothing exciting about it. People moan about Vincent doing nothing but skating from jump to jump, but what was better here concerning Boyang? I was really shocked and I think he's regressing hard. I felt no emotion, nothing. Maybe it's the program but he just doesn't feel it and it left me cold watching him skate from jump to jump with a stone face, looking at the ice all the time and zero interpretation in his body. Even perfect technically, he shouldn't have won here. Just my opinion.

oly2018

Final Flight
I sincerely hope Vincent will work more on the elements other than the jumps. I know he is working on them, but I am feeling choosing one or two types of quads and polishing other skills would be better for him (I am not even his coach though).

Idk, he just said to the press that he doesn't need anyone to tell him what to improve because he already knows. Vincent is going to do what he wants, even if it is to his own detriment. This tech panel was lenient, but he still believes he is not truly UR. The first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging it.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Congratulations Shoma, Boyang, and Vincent!

...Did Junhwan put whoopie cushions on the judges chairs or something? That was... an interesting turn of events with his score...

Seriously, it's not that Jun's URs were undeserved, but really? If you're going to be that scrutinizing about his jumps, where's that same level of harshness with the others?
Oh well, this is his ninth competition this season, plus he's injured, so the sketchy jumps were more or less expected.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's an old argument really, and highly subjective, and Boyang is a sweetheart, but I thought his skate here was a horrible bore. Nothing exciting about it. People moan about Vincent doing nothing but skating from jump to jump, but what was better here concerning Boyang? I was really shocked and I think he's regressing hard. I felt no emotion, nothing. Maybe it's the program but he just doesn't feel it and it left me cold watching him skate from jump to jump with a stone face, looking at the ice all the time and zero interpretation in his body. Even perfect technically, he shouldn't have won here. Just my opinion.

Looking at the protocols, Boyang's PCS of 84 VS Shoma's PCS of 92 show the gap in that area. Shoma's LP is also a little empty this time (at 4CC) but his execution and skating skills are much smoother than Boyangs so he deserves this gap, perhaps more.
BUT with the judges overlooking his URs this time, gives him an advantage in TES which should rightfully belong to Boyang, given how both of them skated their LPs this time.

At other times, it may be different. At this time, I feel the tech panel gave Boyang a huge disadvantage by being lenient on other skaters. In the one area where Boyang excels in a big way, the technical panel says "Guess what? It doesn't matter." This frustrates me.

This applies even more to Keegan.

Last edited:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I'm really happy Jason was able to go for the rotation on the quad. It's one mental block down. And honestly it wasn't a bad attempt. His 3A-3T has improved so much too, it's increasingly clear that moving to Toronto was the best thing for his skating.