2019 Four Continents Men's Free Skate | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents Men's Free Skate

yude

Record Breaker
Idk, he just said to the press that he doesn't need anyone to tell him what to improve because he already knows. Vincent is going to do what he wants, even if it is to his own detriment. This tech panel was lenient, but he still believes he is not truly UR. The first step to fixing a problem is acknowledging it.

:cry:

Thank you for letting me know about this, I hope he and his team will find a way...

zeddy

Spectator
boyang has 2 WC medals with a 4cc gold within 3 4cc medals and the fourth place in OG......And his pcs rise urrr about 1 points?......

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols, Boyang's PCS of 84 VS Shoma's PCS of 92 show the gap in that area. Shoma's LP is also a little empty this time (at 4CC) but his execution and skating skills are much smoother than Boyangs so he deserves this gap, perhaps more.
BUT with the judges overlooking his URs this time, gives him an advantage in TES which should rightfully belong to Boyang, given how both of them skated their LPs this time.

At other times, it may be different. At this time, I feel the tech panel gave Boyang a huge disadvantage by being lenient on other skaters. In the one area where Boyang excels in a big way, the technical panel says "Guess what? It doesn't matter." This frustrates me.

This applies even more to Keegan.

I'm not commenting on Shoma.

Concerning Boyang's PCS, if he had been in an earlier group he would hardly pass the 80. He was lucky. Tech isn't everything, and his jumps are not Yuzuru Hanyu jumps. Just my opinion.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm not commenting on Shoma.

Concerning Boyang's PCS, if he had been in an earlier group he would hardly pass the 80. He was lucky. Tech isn't everything, and his jumps are not Yuzuru Hanyu jumps. Just my opinion.

I agree we see Boyangs progress and programs in completely different lights. :yes:
I personally saw a lot of improvement in his attention to the music and speed and skating here compared to earlier in the season.

---
It's also entirely possible I'm being biased in Boyang's favor. I do love him extra because I think the judges tend to favor other skaters in close races. Boyang is hardly ever given benefit of the doubt, so I advocate strongly for him.
Same with Mai Mihara and other skaters that have a hard time breaking through.

Last edited:

zeddy

Spectator
What we talked is not pcs but goe and the urrrrrrr jump from Shoma... Is Shoma's jump really better than Zhou and Jun's jump?

oly2018

Final Flight
What we talked is not pcs but goe and the urrrrrrr jump from Shoma... Is Shoma's jump really better than Zhou and Jun's jump?

I think Keegan's jumps are more comparable to Shoma's. Their landings are just downright scary. It's impressive that they can hold onto things that seem totally lost, but that should not equal huge GOE.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This is why inconsistent calling sucks. Because you know? I feel bad for Vincent. Two days ago the exact same tech panel told him that his jumps were fine. Today they're telling him otherwise. And there was no real difference. It's not fair on him.

That said I'm perplexed they called the 3T in the opening combo and not the 4Lz because I had it the other way around. And I thought the first 3A and the 3F in the end of the 3-jump combo were sketchy too.

His second 3A was utterly gorgeous and I do love this program on him, I feel like it shows off a lot of his best attributes.

Jason was brilliant! I was so happy to see him pull in for the 4S. For a moment I even thought he'd stand up! But he didn't let it bug him and everything else was so wonderful! I really like the Hazy Shade of Winter second half, just not the dirgey first half. I'm perplexed at the 89 PCS! The stumble on the 4S was really his only major error and he was as charming and brilliant as always! I'm beyond delighted. To see Jason skate as well as I knew he could was my dearest wish of this trip, and now I have seen him skate a perfect SP and a wonderful FS.

Brendan - oh, Brendan, sigh...one day, you'll show them what I know you can do. One day. And please don't let Amodio do next year's program. I don't think I could handle a sequel to Disaster Grease. Those 3As, though. Unf. Butter.

I'm so proud of Andrew. He held it together, even after the popped Lutz, for yet another SB, and wove that enchanting spell that I knew he could. The crowd seemed to love it. I hope he has enough energy to get through tomorrow's FD without too many problems.

And I'm proud of Mark. He didn't give up, kept fighting, in proper Aussie tradition. He had his head high and he finished his program fairly well. If he doesn't continue, he has served Australian skating long and well, and I wish him all the best. If he does continue, well, I hope we can come up with a more fitting farewell.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Shoma, Boyang and Vincent! Shoma was the class of the field tonight :bow:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
also re-reading this thread is hilarious

i am ??? but also lolololol that everyone seems to be comparing andrew to adam

pretty sure he'd love that y'all need to tweet him

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ohh, ohh, don't let SarahSynchro read this....or she will get the hose on you! :laugh2:

Luckily for you guys, I fell asleep again, mid-event, same thing that happened during the ladies free. I just woke up with an iPad smushed to my face - in between me and my pillow. :palmf:

*hoses self down*

century2009

On the Ice
Jun and Vincent are know for their UR and it will continue to hurt if the tech panel is after them.

They really went after Jun with six Underrotation, but did notice his quads and axel were UR.

After this season, they both need to work to fix this because the tech panel will always be looking at their jumps closely and you dont want that at all.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Are y'all ready for that success essay from Vincent Zhou?

This part of Vincent’s personality reminds me of someone I know in real life. Still hilariously earnest though but endearing.

Hopefully one of his friends takes his phone off him before he’s able to post it! xD

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Aside from my wild conspiracy theories involving the illuminati and holograms, does anyone have a straightforward guess why the SAME tech panel can be completely blind to URs in the SP and then suddenly lay it on with a shovel in the LP?

Jun and Vincent got 0 in the SP and the next day got 5 and 4 URs. Their jumps did not suddenly desert them. To me the rotation was short on both days.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I'm awake now. Congrats to Shoma for winning. Congrats to Boyang for maintaining his placement, and congrats to Vincent for his first 4CC medal!

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Four Continents - Men's Eyebrow Medals:
Gold - Nicolas Nadeau
Silver - Julian Zhi Jie Yee
Bronze - tbd

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is why inconsistent calling sucks. Because you know? I feel bad for Vincent. Two days ago the exact same tech panel told him that his jumps were fine. Today they're telling him otherwise. And there was no real difference. It's not fair on him.

That said I'm perplexed they called the 3T in the opening combo and not the 4Lz because I had it the other way around. And I thought the first 3A and the 3F in the end of the 3-jump combo were sketchy too.

His second 3A was utterly gorgeous and I do love this program on him, I feel like it shows off a lot of his best attributes.

Jason was brilliant! I was so happy to see him pull in for the 4S. For a moment I even thought he'd stand up! But he didn't let it bug him and everything else was so wonderful! I really like the Hazy Shade of Winter second half, just not the dirgey first half. I'm perplexed at the 89 PCS! The stumble on the 4S was really his only major error and he was as charming and brilliant as always! I'm beyond delighted. To see Jason skate as well as I knew he could was my dearest wish of this trip, and now I have seen him skate a perfect SP and a wonderful FS.

Brendan - oh, Brendan, sigh...one day, you'll show them what I know you can do. One day. And please don't let Amodio do next year's program. I don't think I could handle a sequel to Disaster Grease. Those 3As, though. Unf. Butter.

I'm so proud of Andrew. He held it together, even after the popped Lutz, for yet another SB, and wove that enchanting spell that I knew he could. The crowd seemed to love it. I hope he has enough energy to get through tomorrow's FD without too many problems.

And I'm proud of Mark. He didn't give up, kept fighting, in proper Aussie tradition. He had his head high and he finished his program fairly well. If he doesn't continue, he has served Australian skating long and well, and I wish him all the best. If he does continue, well, I hope we can come up with a more fitting farewell.

Hi Karne! I finally woke up and got a chance to see the replays. Jason fought through that entire program and finally relaxed into the Hazy Shade step sequence. I think the PCs were a little low, but he did bobble the landing on his 3L and the stand alone 3A. This tech panel seemed to connect bobbled jumps with PCs and lowered them accordingly. Perhaps not what ISU had in mind, but they did seem to do that equally. I thought Shoma's PCs were a little low also, but toward the end he bobbled some landings too. His ankle must have been causing him pain, but he fought too. Jason's 4S was almost there, but he didn't get enough height to stick the landing and I counted what looked like 3 3/4 rotations. It really was almost there. I have hopes for Worlds.

I've only watched Shoma, Jason and Keegan so far. Off to watch Vincent and the rest. But overall, Jason did a beautiful job on the free skate. Hoping for two great skates at Worlds! I know he can do it!

A nice word for Brian. He stayed through that whole program until Jason came back to the K&C even with Cha waiting behind the curtain. That was super nice of him. I know it meant a lot to Jason.

viennaskater

Medalist
Solid job by Junhwan! :) I don't think that I will ever understand the construction of this program, but he seems to like it, so that's the important part. He has a lot of potential, and I wish him well going forward.

Cha is a phenomenon but I really did not like the music cuts, it felt all wrong.

DinkyD

Rinkside
I noticed when Nam pulled his shirt open in the opening of his routine, it came open by an extra button. I don't believe that was supposed to happen. I went back and looked at Canadians and it didn't open up that far down. I think this may have thrown him off a bit...his concentration. Just an observation.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Someone who understands the scoring better than I...when Jason does land the quad well, how much of a bump in score will that give him? With one, for ex, could he have been on the podium at this event?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to all 3 medalists and especially to Shoma for fighting through his injury and never giving up!