2019 Four Continents: Pairs' Pregame Chat | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 Four Continents: Pairs' Pregame Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Only 11 teams in Euros, one of whom withdrew before the free. Only 11 here.

So worldwide, that's just 22 pairs teams with both the minimum TES and national backing to compete at this level. That's a depressingly small number. I wonder if the qualifying criteria are too stringent.

Large national/state backing exists only in small number of countries like China or Russia... And others like Europe, North America are trying to seek sponsors, establish some charity funds or something like that...

pesto

On the Ice
Large national/state backing exists only in small number of countries like China or Russia... And others like Europe, North America are trying to seek sponsors, establish some charity funds or something like that...

North America seems like a stronghold actually - both Canada and USA are sending 3 pairs teams to 4C, with more skaters of adequate quality who are surplus to requirements.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder how Deanna and Nate are feeling. I feel kind of sad for them being left off of the team.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I talked with them at the Friends of Figure Skating breakfast on Sunday after Nats, and they seemed very upbeat and very positive. I think if they had been upset they probably wouldn't have shown up for the breakfast.

Hevari

On the Ice
North America seems like a stronghold actually - both Canada and USA are sending 3 pairs teams to 4C, with more skaters of adequate quality who are surplus to requirements.

That's it! US has wery healthy situation in pairs (and not only). Of course we have no new Tai & Randy right now but still there is a number of pairs both strong and younger witch will continue to grow... I personally watched all five pair competitions at Nationals and for me seems that all's good in US pairs...

Hevari

On the Ice
USA have only one spot for Worlds and that is Cain/Le Duc.

Oh yes..... only one spot at Worlds.... Hope next year there will be two spots. All four US Nationals pair medalists deserve to be in Worlds team.

P44

On the Ice
The North Korean pair is not on the list anymore :scratch2:
Did they withdraw ?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Looks like it. And Harley and Katia are off the list too, I hope no injuries...

GF2445

Record Breaker
Looks like it. And Harley and Katia are off the list too, I hope no injuries...

So sad. Hopefully no injuries.
I must say, this seems to have been a really rough season for them.
I hope they are alright. There hasn't been alot of news since they headed to Montreal.

GarthAqua

On the Ice
I think Pairs just got hit particularly hard by retirements, breakups, injuries and decisions to sit out the season in the aftermath of the Olympics. The field will build up again over the next few years!

Only Russia has 3 spots for pairs in WC. China, Germany, France, Italy and Canada have 2 spots. Judging from the EC and 4CC entry, the pair field are quite empty.
3 Russian teams, probably TM, ZE and BK with PK as sub.
2 Canadian teams MTM and Walsh/Michaud
2 Chinese teams Sui/Han and Peng/Jin
2 Italian teams Della Monica/Guarise and Ghilardi/Ambrosini
both German and France have only one team for EC, but they do have a second pair.
US, Austria, Croatia, Japan, Spain, North Korea and Australia has one pair each
the UK, Kazakhstan and Israel pairs seem to need to reach the MTS
the new Czech haven't competed this season so no entry for them.
Any other team could show up in WC?

GarthAqua

On the Ice
Only Russia has 3 spots for pairs in WC. China, Germany, France, Italy and Canada have 2 spots. Judging from the EC and 4CC entry, the pair field are quite empty.
both German and France have only one team for EC, but they do have a second pair.

some teams meet the MTS for WC
Belarus: Tatiana DANILOVA / Mikalai KAMIANCHUK but they are not active this season
No other French pair active meet the MTS other than JC so only 1 spot for France
Israel : Paige CONNERS / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI but not active this season
Switzerland : Ioulia CHTCHETININA / Mikhail AKULOV active this season and qualified for their scores last season.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
The North Korean pair is not on the list anymore :scratch2:
Did they withdraw ?

I think it's a visa problem. The North Korean pair didn't go to the Worlds in Boston.

Germany has the second pair who missed Euros due to partner's illness.
The new Czech team is going to compete in Bavarian open. Maybe they will make TES there.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Switzerland : Ioulia CHTCHETININA / Mikhail AKULOV active this season and qualified for their scores last season.

Last I remember hearing, they split up. They certainly didn't compete at Swiss Nationals, and I haven't heard anything about either of them working with a new partner, though admittedly I don't take more than a casual interest.

Herbrikova/Roulet, the only senior pair that competed at Swiss Nationals, are still chasing the TES minimums for Euros, let alone worlds.

Andrea82

Medalist

British pair will try to get minimum TES at Bavarian Open and Ice Mall Cup. They need the SP one.
The new Czech pair with Bidar is entered at Bavarian Open and Challenge Cup.
Israel pair will try at the home competition (Ice Mall Cup).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Miu Suzaki and Ryuichi Kihara have also withdrawn! :shocked:

So Japan, Australia & North Korea have no pairs representative - this year's 4CC is now a battle between Canada, China and the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.