2019 Skate Canada Challenge | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2019 Skate Canada Challenge

LisaS

On the Ice
Does anyone know how many of the Sr. Ladies make it to Nationals? I am not sure who has byes.

aarower

Rinkside
Only Gabrielle Daleman and Alaine Chartrand are not at the Challenge so it would be the top 16.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Pretty good skate for Larkyn. She landed her 3F, which has given her trouble in the past. Doubled her second loop I believe and fell on her second 3S but all other jumps landed including 3-jump combo. Fast and good expression.

Podium:

1. Larkyn Austman
2. Alison Schumacher
3. Michelle Long

Haleth

On the Ice
just curious about your leg... i felt i had to be extra cautious with some of the stairs that were very steep... is that how you broke yours? i mean.. i am no longer a kid running up and down the stairs... and usually i am fine but they were at just a tad wrong for me.. too high yet not high enough to really be careful about them... so i did decide to be careful in the end fearing for my knees that are really week from too much running... but yeah... hope you recover fully... sometimes breaks are better than sprain for full recovery.

Sorry I missed this earlier!

I actually wasn't inside Place Bell when it happened and yes, I shudder to think what would have happened on those stairs if you moved too quickly and got tangled up while falling. I was most wary when trying to get by others before the incident, since the rows were so narrow and would be easy to have your foot fall between rows. I did jokingly tell a Skate Canada official who visited the medics I was practicing quads on the stairs.

As for the accident: I was actually on my way to grab a coffee and pastry before getting on the métro to make early morning practice on Saturday and was on a wide, dry sidewalk. I was moving at a moderate pace and was looking ahead for the correct shop window when I think I hit a normal cemented join between parts of the sidewalk (not 100% sure) and I felt my ankle wobble and suddenly I swung right over 90 degrees and heard a snap. Thankfully a parked car broke my fall, though I probably frightened the life out of the poor women inside of it. She came outside as she could see I was in agony and supported me until I could test my ankle to see if it could take my weight. When I could put some weight on it I elected to keep on going because I can be a stubborn cuss. I knew from minor hiking accidents that a bit of sugar can help with the shock of a fall and hobbled over to the bakery a couple doors away and then flagged a cab because I knew walking to the métro etc. would not be a good idea. I sat through the men's practice and then saw the first aid station across from the section entrance I was in and presented myself as a potential patient. For the next 12 hours I was in the medics' capable hands. Though being iced in front of the younger portion of Team Russia (signing autographs and watching the skating) during the ladies' FS was highly embarrassing lol. :shame: But really the medics were very sweet and got me permission to sit in the low-mobility area and even volunteered to bring out ice every hour after the first few treatments because they were increasingly concerned about the size of my ankle. Most of the treatments thankfully happened in private.

My thanks also go to a few fellow fans (both from GS and PH) who checked in or sat with me and my spiffy wheelchair until my partner arrived.

Moral of the story: avoid dry pavement? Always look at your feet? Wanting breakfast is dangerous?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada