2019 Skate Canada Day 1: Thoughts and Highlights | Golden Skate

2019 Skate Canada Day 1: Thoughts and Highlights

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What are your thoughts now that the first day has concluded? Any surprises for you? Disappointments? Tingles? :biggrin:

Recaps

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The ladies perfomed amazingly and if I were a judge I'd be hard pressed to choose a winner among them.
It's all going to come down to the free skate. :drama:

For the men, there were a lot of mistakes, but Julian, Camden and Yuzu stole the show. -that and the 6 foot bear.
Deniss was also not a disaster and I love his step sequence.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Rika was beautiful! I was having a meltdown about her before the competition (Rika makes me fret as much as I love her) so woke up to a nice surprise.

She really is the complete package. Beautiful skating, wonderful jumps. Now let's just have that ankle heal and I'll stop fretting about her.

Also really enjoyed Bradie's performance. She's steadily doing her best in the face of triple axels and quads. She's such a wonderful performer. Love her spins as well. Bradie and Alina are my favorite spinners.

Poor Evgenia I really hope she has a wonderful free just for her own peace of mind. I winced when she hit the boards. That was a nasty fall. Relieved to hear that she didn't sustain an injury from it because it looked like a really bad fall.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Young You was the best of the night for the ladies in my opinion! What a surprise. Very polished for a 15 year old. Rika killed it, well deserved score. Sasha was slightly overscored in the PCS, but you can’t deny she has the best combo. The lutz loop has so much spring. And Evgenia... [emoji20] no words, was just in shock. Hope to see her come back fighting tomorrow.

LynsJ

On the Ice
Young you was a standout for me. She really surprised me I thought her SP was brilliant. Bradie again was also great, this SP is really working for her. I also loved Fear and Gibson and Hawayek Baker. Both programs were fun and fresh. Haven’t watched the pairs and men’s yet!

sweetener

Rinkside
The good:
- Young You really surprised me! Looks like she'll be one to look out for (and a potential GPF final upset if she was given that second assignment...)
- Rika's SP is really growing on me - must admit I didn't enjoy the music in the beginning but I'm starting to become a fan. She continues to amaze me with her SP scores.
- Yuzuru nearly breaking his world record!
- Julian and Camden improving a lot from the past season (bonus: Yuzu and Camden in the press conference)
- Fear & Gibson with a new season's best.

The not-so-good:
- Evgenia – first with the step-out on 2A and that horrible fall on the 3Lz. I was rooting for her to skate clean and had to leave the stream when she fell and hit the boards. Really glad she didn't sustain an injury and hope she can come back in the free tomorrow; she will have to have the skate of her life to make the podium.
- Matteo; he really had a shot at that podium. Admittedly didn't pay much attention to him after all my nerves from watching Yuzu.

IleK

On the Ice
What's with the stsq level 2 ? Young You, Trusova, Daleman? And I don't understand Daleman's PCS... 31?? The program is amazing and she really knows how to perform. Bradie got 34, 46. Why is she better?

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I only watched Ladies so far and my highlight was definitely Rika! I really hope she can skate a great free as well.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Rika and Yuzuru. There are no words. Here's hoping for another 'no words' day tomorrow.

Young You, Julian and Camden. There are words, and they are very happy ones. After everything she's been through, loved seeing Gabby look happy and doing well.

In the pairs, I'm no expert but I did rather like Boikova and Kozlovskii (even the pink, but then I like pink), and Liubov Ilyushechkina and Charlie Bilodeau were simply lovable.

Can't help thinking Brian O damn near went through whiplash over the day... poor Evgenia (I didn't watch it, I won't, hearing was bad enough). I hope she gets her redemption tomorrow.

Lovechihuahua

Match Penalty
The home inflation for canadians is a fat joke just like last week in America.
The only highlight for me is Boikova and Kozlovskii's "My Way" program, so beautiful, so touching, what a promising pair they are.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm yet to catch up on the men :palmf: so will edit later. For the other disciplines:

ID

- Piper and Paul are bringing it, I'm ID Jon Snow as repeatedly stated but I loved them and their skate. And great tuxes for the two of them :agree:
- Speaking of tuxes, the Disco Brits are also bringing it. Like, matching tuxes, good music, great choreo, and all the :dance3:, what's not to love?
- Hawayek/Baker's RD is quite good fun with their costumes (and her hairdo) toned down a bit and matching audio sync. Ending cuts could've been better, yes, but it's still fun.
- Also fun: Popova/Mozgov. Yes, they're over the top, that's why they're fun. And they were the only ones to get all their key points for their Finnstep
- I am still confused on why Sara Hurtado, known for her glamorous dresses, was dressed in a Ferrero Rocher wrapper. Like what Sara

Ladies

- Kihira Rika is selling me the program, and I still disagree with the music. It's a feat. With those huge 3As she's going to fight for the gold, and methinks she does have a good chance
- Sasha Trusova did as Sasha Trusova does. And while I do agree that her SS and speed isn't as solid as the others she does have PCS qualities, she shows it in the first half of the program. Then the dress changes (sigh) and the music becomes too quick for her, I like the choice of Peer Gynt for her and I do call her Sasha but I have to be objective there. Nevertheless it was a great senior GP debut :clapper:
- Marin-cactus is still a cactus, but she did that performance after a car accident just a few days ago, that's a feat on its own.
- Oh Zhenya... :cry: I love her anyway, and I believe she'll come back fighting for the FS.
- Gabrielle Daleman needs to go back to her catsuit ASAP
- Bradie Tennell is going strong, and while I'm mixed on the program (and was too distracted with Zhenya) she has grown very, very much as a performer.
- And now, *fangirl alert* MY GIRLS ROCKED :hap57: Yes, Yelim had spin issues, but she kept it together and did so, so well on her senior GP debut. And as for a debut, what about a BEAUTIFUL 3A WITH OTHER CLEAN JUMPS :hap93: Maman yelled at me for screaming at 5 in the morning and waking her up, but as satine said it was completely deserved :dev3: Now my dears, just keep it together for the FS, no worries about the scores or other such nonsense. Both of you already did great, just be your awesome selves.

Pairs

- I still hate myself for sleeping through my alarm and missing Sasha and Mitya winning the SP :bang: And it was truly deserving, like, they got cheers almost as loud as the strongest home team. Need I say more :love:
- That strongest home team also had a great skate, and I love her dress.
- Tarasova/Morozov got an amazing vehicle with Bolero, if they get it to 100% what a sight that would be.
- The Knierims are as usual just missing the SBS jumps, hopefully they nail them with their lovely Experience FS.
- Overall it was above average for pairs, only 4 falls and a pop. The audience is getting their money's worth.

Men

- Yuzuru does a Yuzuru. 'Nuff said.
- Camden, if you mess up your FS I'm officially sending you to the 'Andrew T' category (artistic men who are so good when they deliver you can't help but love and therefore be hurt in the future), so please, please don't. You owe it to your talent, this amazing skate is what it deserves.
- Guess who's not leaving the Julian Yee train? Quadless so technically less impressive than last season's epic SP at SC, but the best skate of the season for him so far. And he is a beautiful skater with the small fed support as a given. And his catching of that plushie was art. So nope, I'm not getting off this train.
- Nam Nguyen wasn't 100% clean, but he didn't fall and he was enjoyable to watch. He puts his own flair into Blues for Klook, thus avoiding the inevitable comparison and getting good marks from me.
- (deep sigh) Look, Andrei, get a nice, clean 3A or I'm kicking you off my faves list. Borrow one from Liza T or something, I'm sick and tired of my Russian men faves not having 3As.
- I'm not sure whether Nicolas Nadeau's 3S was planned or a pop (lovely 3A btw), but what fun. Good skate for the home crowd.
- A not-so-good skate for the home crowd: Roman Sadovsky. It's a pity because his skating is beautiful, although his skating is way more beautiful than his short (like just say no to Fly Me To The Moon, esp. a sleep-inducing cover)
- It's a good thing elektra wasn't there to see her older son, when has Matteo Rizzo become so inconsistent...
- Brendan Kerry is still skating to the Muppets theme. Never mind the shirt and the pops, he gets a pardon from me for just that. It's the Muppets theme.
- Speaking of pops... Well, the popstar is back (sigh) Don't tell me he spent his quota of non-popped jumps at US Classic, this program is too much fun for that
- Deniss Vasiljevs continues his tradition of impressive spins, not-so-impressive jumps, and insane costumes.

readernick

Medalist
Yuzuru was amazing. The height on his jumps is beautiful and so was his commitment to his performance. The PCS was crazy high and deserved to be. That being said... his 4T combo was definitely overscored. ( judges you can't keep giving the top skaters positive GOE on step-outs) .

Camden was a wonderful. There are a crop of young American male skaters: Camden , Andrew, Tomoki, Alexei who could, possibly, fight it out to make the world's team this year. I am quite fond of all of them. Camden really just made a splash in the short program which gives him a tiny leg up in this fight. The expression on his face was pretty grand when he saw his score and when Yuzuru gave him a complement in the press conference, too (haha)

Nam did pretty well. I hope he has a clean long. The rest of the field was pretty up and down. I was really rooting for Keiji and Matteo. I am sad that they didn't have great SPs. I believe they will do well in the free.

Rika!!!! I love her because she is such a well- rounded skater. I know this SP is controversial (mostly just the song which you will love or hate ) but she made huge strides in the performance since ACI. Her elements are great and do is the unique choreography. Her competition nerves have really improved last year. She is 6 for 6 on landing 3As this year ( one was UR). I hope that record continues in the long program.

Young's axel is great and so are her other elements. ( although the jumps are really telegraphed). She performed well here although I do think she should work more on her basics and her performance.

Sasha's 3lz3lo is really beautiful. Her 2A looks really great now, too. I can't say I was impressed by anything other than her jumps but she is so cute in the K&C. I just love her determination. I think she is Dudakov's favorite. He seems really fatherly toward her.

I haven't watched the ice dance, yet. So, I can't comment.

I did enjoy the pairs a lot more than last week. B/K are favorites of mine they just have such interesting little choreographic touches. MT/M were also interesting to watch. T/M and SK/K have beautiful pairs elements. I still expect T/M to come back strong in the free

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I thought the level of skating in general was much better than in the Short a week ago, in all disciplines. It was a pity the streaming wasn't so good with strange blackenings/greyings of the screen making the faces sometimes look very odd indeed and it was often impossible to see the technical score box. Still, the skating was nice.

I'm not the biggest fan of ladies usually, but it was an excellent event yesterday, except for poor Evghenia's nasty fall. It was great to see Gabrielle so happy and she looked great. Rika was stunning, so was Young You. Alexandra skated well, but very juniorish, and Bradie had another good skate. But there quite a few nice skates among the ladies yesterday, I never got bored.

In my favourite discipline, the pairs, there were - as usual - some falls and hand down errors, but no horrifying ones thankfully. Alexandra and Dmitrii were fantastic, although I thought Kirstin and Michael were slightly better. The judges thought differently but the two pairs were still very close together in points. Both pairs looked really good. As always Alexandra's smile mesmerised me, and it really was nice to see them improving. Evgenia and Vladimir were looking much better than when I saw them last (at US Classic I think) even though one of the SBS was doubled. But that Bolero programme fits them very well. Alexa and Chris did a good job (and their twist remains one to die for) as well. Liubov and Charlie had a good debut as a team in the GP series, even with some errors. Jessica and Brian were less of a surprise than last week and had a nice skate, except for a fall. It was nice to see another Chinese pair, Feivao/Yungchao, than the onese we've been seeing the last few years and I think they will rise the coming years. Evelyn and Trennt were last, but still had an acceptable outing. A very enjoyable event, with a deserved top 3.

I enjoyed the men's event too, with Yuzu being an absolute highlight. It was good to see Camden having a good outing as well. I hope he manages to keep it together in the FS. Nam was also doing 'his thing' very well. I was a bit disappointed in Matteo, but Denis compensated a bit for that because he skated well. It was also nice to see Julian Zhi again, and having a good outing as well.

The Dance was the least interesting, although Kaitlin and Jean-Luc stood out for me. But then, I've always been a fan of the BeeGee's, so their music choice helped in that! Piper and Paul were also quite fun and I really hope they'll reach the GPF this year. I can't really get into Madison and Zachary's RD, although I've no doubt they deserved the points. Lilah and Lewis were also a real delight. I was enormously distracted by Sarah's awful and very unflattering dress, which actually made me miss most of the content of the Dance with Kirill. Please change that for the next competition, because I usually enjoy watching this couple! Betina and Sergey were really fun, Marjorie and Zachary did a nice West Side Story, I'm still getting used to seeing Caroline and Michael together. But a bit bland, that's probably caused by their recent team up.

That's all for now. Hopefully another nice night of Figure skating coming up!

Artemisa

Final Flight
well... i only see pairs and ladies...

Pairs
_ Boikova and Dima they are great ... but please change the costume ... to pink ... if you are skating to Frank sinatra please give a Dima a suit ... and they deserved better PCS
_ I loved the bolero T/M

Ladies:
_ Young You great music with a 3A
_ I felt sorry/angry/sad for zhenya but i'm hopping for a comeback in the LP

DonnaR

On the Ice
The ladies event was fantastic but other standouts for me were Moore-Towers/Marinaro, Gilles/Poirier, Yuzu, Nam, Fear/Gibson and Hawayek/Baker. I almost forgot Lubov and Charlie - I can't wait to see how they continue to evolve.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What are your thoughts now that the first day has concluded? Any surprises for you? Disappointments? Tingles? :biggrin:

Recaps

This is my first time watching a FS competition life, and it is amazing. The time flies, an the practices are super-cool. It is also way more impactful.

My biggest surprise so far is how much more I like Tennell live vs the TV.

As much as Hanyu is an absolutely stunning skater, I’m finding his crowd to be hard to bear, and I was sad for Rizzio being psyched out by their behaviour & now am worried for Nguyen. Pulkinen has amazing charisma, you can totally seem him smile even from my ‘Behind the Japanese tour groups’ sitting.

I am so amazed by how Trusova is maintaining her poise and how closely she works with her coach. I was totally in love with Young You, she was so fast and furious with her program!

Boikova & Kozlovskiy were so, so lovely! I loved pairs live.

Ice dance for me remained as boring live as it is on TV.

evasorange

Final Flight
For me the highlight of the whole event was RIKA! What a performance! That triple axel was probably the flawless I’ve seen her do. Evgenia, even with a absolute mess of a performance somehow ends up with third highest pcs? She has to be one of the luckiest skaters ever. For the men yes Yuzu was very impressive but I’m still bored. Tbh almost all of the men’s sp were boring, by the time Keiji came on with the fantastic hip hip chin chin it was just a relief to hear something with a beat! Dance I still
Don’t understand, I thought piper and Paul were the runway winners, their dance was SO cute and fun and they were so in sync! Don’t understand what Madison and Zach did that was 1 point better

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Apre Hanyu le dèluge (of Pooh bears). It was amazing to be present for the outpouring of Poohs on the ice. I was impressed that they were ready for that and had so many extra sweepers.

fishing

Rinkside
I'm loving the coverage of all the disciplines. Some are shining stars and looking to be at their peak already but...its early days in a long season. Looking forward to tonight - and the rest of the season. Can the leaders hold their places or will those from behind come for redemption?
Loving, loving, loving the camera work! Skater always in the centre of the screen-both skaters full bodies and feet shown during pairs and dance lifts- smooth camera changes- no crazy close ups. Especially hopeful that this will continue during the season.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the OP and the recaps with competition quotes!

As much as I like Matteo, if he was psyched out by the Poohvalanche (and I doubt he would point to that for any problems) he needs to learn to deal. I loved the reaction and the rain of Poohs, and I’m not a dedicated Yuzu fan.

This American says Thank god for the Japanese fans and the Japanese fan groups:clap:

Onto the competition, so sad for Zhenya, she has such high standards for herself. Camden is showing confidence that translates (having seen him twice live, I can tell you when the confidence is missing, the charisma and performance are gone, when it’s there :thumbsup: ) and Deniss!:clap:

And I like Alex and Chris’s costumes, so sue me:biggrin: