2019 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2019 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

bobbob

Medalist
Interesting. I disagree. I don't think Bradie is going to let ANYONE else have it. One of the more determined faces I've ever seen before she started skating.

We will have to see. I personally don't think it's Bradie's decision to make, if Alysa skates clean with her planned content. In any case, it will be an exciting free skate.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
PCS in the short was factored by 1.0 not 0.8, which might have explained some of the high-ish scores :)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i was able to watch just 7 skaters, i missed ting cui (but now i know how to spell her last name :biggrin:). anyway i'm very impressed by alysa liu, one of the best 3As in ladies field; next year jgp and jworld will be fun. bradie had the performance of the night as did mariah (shame for those urs), but her music is stuck in mi head :drama:

Nimyue

On the Ice
Catching up this morning because this aired after my bedtime. Amber Glenn was by far my favorite. Her performance has really stuck withe me today. Looking forward to seeing these ladies live tonight!

louisa05

Final Flight
Also catching up this morning. Bradie was not intense; her music was. I feel like that music choice was to cover up her lack of artistry. I guess it's working, but I still don't enjoy her skating. It's just elements. With noisy blades even while stroking.

Alysa looks like a junior. Lots of tech but skating like the 13 year old she is.

Mariah is beautiful. If she could hit every element in front of the judges, she's be the whole package. Crossing fingers that it happens in the LP.

Amber Glenn skated to her music. Emmy Ma, too, with a beautiful musical quality. Can't say that for most of them. Again, the elements have to be there and they come closer to the whole package than the top 2 (although, Alysa has plenty of time to learn that).

Had a thought during the "Ting Cui is the future" commentary (before the falls): whatever happened to Tessa Hong? The "future" in 2017? Google search makes it appear she did not compete this year?

futurepupdoc

Rinkside
Also catching up this morning. Bradie was not intense; her music was. I feel like that music choice was to cover up her lack of artistry. I guess it's working, but I still don't enjoy her skating. It's just elements. With noisy blades even while stroking.

Alysa looks like a junior. Lots of tech but skating like the 13 year old she is.

Mariah is beautiful. If she could hit every element in front of the judges, she's be the whole package. Crossing fingers that it happens in the LP.

Amber Glenn skated to her music. Emmy Ma, too, with a beautiful musical quality. Can't say that for most of them. Again, the elements have to be there and they come closer to the whole package than the top 2 (although, Alysa has plenty of time to learn that).

Had a thought during the "Ting Cui is the future" commentary (before the falls): whatever happened to Tessa Hong? The "future" in 2017? Google search makes it appear she did not compete this year?

Tessa Hong I believe has retired from skating. She had very many injuries and couldn’t stay healthy long enough to make a run at a title.

louisa05

Final Flight
Tessa Hong I believe has retired from skating. She had very many injuries and couldn’t stay healthy long enough to make a run at a title.

That's too bad.

But, yet again, that's why crowning "the future" so soon is just ridiculous.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We will have to see. I personally don't think it's Bradie's decision to make, if Alysa skates clean with her planned content. In any case, it will be an exciting free skate.

When Gogolev was leading Canadian nationals, I predicted that Skate Canada would not "let" him win, because they weren't going to send non-champions to Worlds while the Canadian champ was a non-eligible 14 year old boy.

I'm going to apply the same logic to this situation. Watch the GOE's and PCS if Alysa skates cleanly. They'll be low. She's a prodigy, to be sure, but USFSA doesn't want her to win the national senior title. Yet.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to apply the same logic to this situation. Watch the GOE's and PCS if Alysa skates cleanly. They'll be low. She's a prodigy, to be sure, but USFSA doesn't want her to win the national senior title. Yet.

And they SHOULD be low. She’s skating like a junior. A really good junior. The USFS representative I was talking to was very excited about her and had her on the next Olympic team already. (I told her I didn’t care who else they sent as long as the person didn’t take Gracies spot.).

louisa05

Final Flight
When Gogolev was leading Canadian nationals, I predicted that Skate Canada would not "let" him win, because they weren't going to send non-champions to Worlds while the Canadian champ was a non-eligible 14 year old boy.

USFSA has never been afraid of crowning a prodigy in ladies. Witness 2008 when only one medalist was old enough for Worlds. Alysa is clearly their new "next big thing".

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did Amber Glenn's basic skating remind anyone else of Angela Nikodinov?

And I mean that in the best possible way. It was musical, but understated - very visually pleasing.

I really, really enjoyed that program.

PCS in the short was factored by 1.0 not 0.8, which might have explained some of the high-ish scores :)

Actually if you look at the protocols there is a "general component factor: 0.8" underneath the all the program components. They took the total of the components and then factored by 0.8. So the scores are correct. If they weren't Bradie's scores would be in the 80s.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In reference to Bradie not being intense - sorry for some reason I cannot get the post to quote - wow, were we even watching the same skate? I thought she came out with such a look of determination and almost skated angry. I’ve never been a huge Bradie fan but I thought she might have been the most intense of the night.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFSA has never been afraid of crowning a prodigy in ladies. Witness 2008 when only one medalist was old enough for Worlds. Alysa is clearly their new "next big thing".

That happened mostly because the US ladies hit rock bottom with good Senior age skaters at the time. Kimmie was on the decline and Emily had been hurt and there was not much after that and the youngsters just outskated everyone. With Ashley and Mirai gone and mostly retired now it felt a bit like 2008 as a new era was beginning but last night showed their is much more depth among the returning Senior ladies then in 2008 when Juniors with suspect jumps dominated. But it is time to turn the page and a new era is beginning.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I want to give one additional shout-out to Pooja Kalyan, who I thought skated a strong, if cautious, SP and was a touch underscored. She has a nice flow on the ice and I hope she'll be able to keep improving. I would have had her behind Emmy.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
That's too bad.

But, yet again, that's why crowning "the future" so soon is just ridiculous.

Ref: Hyperboly about new skaters...Sadly, in THIS day and age, that is all too true. Injury, puberty, and a slew of young guns coming up behind you, depending on the country you skate for, can change the "future" all too quick. Witness changes in Russian ladies over the last 5 years. Where is Pogo? Still, Look at Mirai when she won her nats...."Its not my time...." that golden moment showed the world what would become a very successful 10 year run would look like....but yes, how many modern skaters can say the same? It was a joy to see Mao, Yuna, MK, and so many others have long carrerrs. But things now seem to be changing...

Country
Russia
My five cents.

Ladies SP was very impressive.
Bradie - how light, solid jumps. Presentation improved, but needs further improvement (and skating skills too).
Alysa - a bit "baby mimimi" presentation (this problem will solve itself for some time), other very good, but she needs improvement for URs.
Mariah - as for me best at this competition in all except jumps. Needs to improve jump stability and URs.

And a lot of excellent spins of these and other Ladies.
Really famous US female spins.

Total impression - very, very good.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

But Nam Nguyen clearly beat Gogolev and I could see if it was in Russia or the US Messing might have been placed higher too.