2022-2024 Team China Update | Golden Skate

2022-2024 Team China Update

yqs100

On the Ice
Sui/ Han's dream finally came true! what a competition!

As new season is about to start, what are the things we can expect from Team China?

1) looks like Sui/Han will take a break, not compete for this season?

2) Peng/Jin will continue?

3) Boyang JIn will continue?

4)Wang/ Liu have mentioned they definitely will continue, but will they be able to train in Canada?

5)Junior Pairs - from tik tok clips, Wang/ Huang changed partner? Wang now is training with a taller skater (cant remember his name)

6) No news on new program yet... looks like the team is still enjoying the holidays (in XInjiang)

Any other update?

otisgear

Rinkside
Wang Yuchen appears to be training with Zhu Lei (who previously skated with Zheng Lu).
I also saw some rumours that Wang/Jia (the other junior pair that went to Junior worlds in 2020) had also split :cry:

Who even does Zhao have under him right now besides S/H and P/J? I'm assuming Zhang/Yang?? The future of Chinese pairs seem pretty bleak right now...

fehervari

On the Ice

As new season is about to start, what are the things we can expect from Team China?

4)Wang/ Liu have mentioned they definitely will continue, but will they be able to train in Canada?

5)Junior Pairs - from tik tok clips, Wang/ Huang changed partner? Wang now is training with a taller skater (cant remember his name)

6) No news on new program yet... looks like the team is still enjoying the holidays (in XInjiang)

Any other update?
who will be able to participate and in what competitions? in a month there will be jgp in Courchevel. will there be a selection competition or is nobody going anywhere in this season too?

fehervari

On the Ice

Any other update?
excuse me, my other question: is Chen Hongyi competing, can she still compete internationally?

otisgear

Rinkside
Team China's JGP selections:

Ladies: AN Xiangyi, CHENG Jiaying
Mens: CHEN Yudong, TIAN Tonghe
Pairs: YANG Yixi/DENG Shunyang
Ice dance: LIN Yufei/GAO Zijian, YU Xinyi/LIU Tianyi

The selections were done online via video submissions :unsure: and were streamed earlier today. There were originally two slots for pairs but only one junior pair submitted their video for selection so I guess they're getting both slots.
(A moment of silence for the future of Chinese pairs :dbana:)

fehervari

On the Ice
Team China's JGP selections:

Ladies: AN Xiangyi, CHENG Jiaying
Mens: CHEN Yudong, TIAN Tonghe
Pairs: YANG Yixi/DENG Shunyang
Ice dance: LIN Yufei/GAO Zijian, YU Xinyi/LIU Tianyi

The selections were done online via video submissions :unsure: and were streamed earlier today. There were originally two slots for pairs but only one junior pair submitted their video for selection so I guess they're getting both slots.
(A moment of silence for the future of Chinese pairs :dbana:)
will there be two id teams? super. I was really hoping for that

otisgear

Rinkside
will there be two id teams? super. I was really hoping for that
Yep, each team will get 1 JGP. Actually there were 5 ID teams that submitted for selection. It's weird but they seem to have more reserves in the pipeline for dance than pairs at the moment.

fehervari

On the Ice
Yep, each team will get 1 JGP. Actually there were 5 ID teams that submitted for selection. It's weird but they seem to have more reserves in the pipeline for dance than pairs at the moment.
on the other hand, Yang and Deng may even be medal contenders. hopefully they get two tickets

Last edited:

otisgear

Rinkside
on the other hand, Yang and Deng may even be medal contenders. hopefully they get two tickets
I'm not too sure what the pairs JGP field looks like without the Russians, but Yang/Deng's content is a lot lower in difficulty than you would usually expect from chinese pairs. They have a triple twist but that's about it, all their other elements are doubles. Their throws are 2S and 2Lo, and they don't even have SBS 2A. They definitely wouldn't have medalled at junior worlds this year if they went.

fehervari

On the Ice
I'm not too sure what the pairs JGP field looks like without the Russians, but Yang/Deng's content is a lot lower in difficulty than you would usually expect from chinese pairs. They have a triple twist but that's about it, all their other elements are doubles. Their throws are 2S and 2Lo, and they don't even have SBS 2A. They definitely wouldn't have medalled at junior worlds this year if they went.
this is currently the highest level in juniors... the better ones - Safina/Berulava (GEO), Golubeva/Moore (AUS), McIntosh/Mimar (CAN) - got GP assigment and for them this season it will be easy to get good results in seniors (no Sui/Han, no Russians, retirements or changes e.g. Hase). there are still good pairs - for example Sierova/Khobta (UKR), Kucianova/Vochozka (CZE) - but all without triples. and... there is a new Japanese pair, maybe with 3Axels, who knows :) and Georgia must have bought some more Russian teams as they have plenty of spots...
anyway, I don't think the medal is impossible for Yang and Deng. I believe in them

otisgear

Rinkside
this is currently the highest level in juniors... the better ones - Safina/Berulava (GEO), Golubeva/Moore (AUS), McIntosh/Mimar (CAN) - got GP assigment and for them this season it will be easy to get good results in seniors (no Sui/Han, no Russians, retirements or changes e.g. Hase). there are still good pairs - for example Sierova/Khobta (UKR), Kucianova/Vochozka (CZE) - but all without triples. and... there is a new Japanese pair, maybe with 3Axels, who knows :) and Georgia must have bought some more Russian teams as they have plenty of spots...
anyway, I don't think the medal is impossible for Yang and Deng. I believe in them
Yea I get where you're coming from and I do hope Yang/Deng do well too but the level they're at right now is such a far cry from what we usually see from the Chinese Junior pairs. Even compared to Wang/Huang and Wang/Jia, the last baby pairs we've seen who didn't do that well at JGP a couple of years ago. Those pairs might've been inconsistent but at least they've landed triple throws/jumps before.

To be fair Yang/Deng switched to skating from gymnastics so I'd lower my expectations but they've been training pairs for (I think) more than 3 years now. They've made some progress but they're definitely not the same level as the kids who've been skating since they were 5 or 6. Actually the fact that Yang/Deng is the best Junior team that China can put out says a lot about how their pairs program has kinda collapsed in recent years :frown:

fehervari

On the Ice
Yea I get where you're coming from and I do hope Yang/Deng do well too but the level they're at right now is such a far cry from what we usually see from the Chinese Junior pairs. Even compared to Wang/Huang and Wang/Jia, the last baby pairs we've seen who didn't do that well at JGP a couple of years ago. Those pairs might've been inconsistent but at least they've landed triple throws/jumps before.

To be fair Yang/Deng switched to skating from gymnastics so I'd lower my expectations but they've been training pairs for (I think) more than 3 years now. They've made some progress but they're definitely not the same level as the kids who've been skating since they were 5 or 6. Actually the fact that Yang/Deng is the best Junior team that China can put out says a lot about how their pairs program has kinda collapsed in recent years :frown:
I just wanted to highlight that it isn't only China that is experiencing a sense of loss. for example, you can watch last weekend's Skate Canada NextGen Camp on Dailymotion. There are 4 pairs in this featured junior program. and Yang/Deng are a serious team compared to them. or if you look at it from that point of view, in the field of senior GP, the Crafoords (whom I love by the way) still have 2A as their strongest jump and they recently learned 3Tw...
the fact is that I care less about the difficulty of the technical elements than the quality of the skating. and in this I feel Ying/Dang is better and more complex than the 19/20 Chinese JGP teams (I was really worried about lovely Wang Yuchen crushing herself). a season earlier... Tang/Yang's SP was brilliant for sure. I rewatch it regularly.
but I talk a lot...

MiraiFan

Final Flight
What's happening with the young great hope from a few years ago--An something... She was also doing rhythmic gymnastics. Is she even competing now?

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
What's happening with the young great hope from a few years ago--An something... She was also doing rhythmic gymnastics. Is she even competing now?
She skated in the JGP assignment competition last week I think so. Here's a video of her FS

fehervari

On the Ice
Team China at JGP Czech Skate, Ostrava

Thursday, 01.09.2022
men's sp: Tian Tonghe 13:24 CET
women's sp: Cheng Jiaying 19:51 CET

Friday, 02.09.2022
id rd: Yu Xinyi / Liu Tianyi 13:35 CET

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
She skated in the JGP assignment competition last week I think so. Here's a video of her FS

I was about to ask why CSA hadn't assigned her yet but just checked jgp solidarity cup and she's there.
Glad she can finally debut.

icybear

Medalist
I was about to ask why CSA hadn't assigned her yet but just checked jgp solidarity cup and she's there.
Glad she can finally debut.
Pairs is pretty dead and Boyang hasnt won anything in years so I am very invested in her. Very high hopes for her first JGP win. I remember she once beat Isabeau Levito in a novice competition.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Pairs is pretty dead and Boyang hasnt won anything in years so I am very invested in her. Very high hopes for her first JGP win. I remember she once beat Isabeau Levito in a novice competition.
There is Yudong too. Still rough but he has potential.

yqs100

On the Ice
The China club league was kicked off a few weeks ago.

Surprisingly we saw a few new young pairs with great potential, especially in Coach Luan Bo’s team

the pairs to watch:

1) Jiaxuan Zhang/ Yihang Huang ⭐⭐⭐⭐️ (the new partnership is less than a year, but looks quite mature. SBS triple jumps all clean)
2) Yuchen Wang/ Lei Zhu ⭐⭐⭐️ (Beautiful body line, solo jumps look good so far, Wang is too tall for pair skating, will see how they develop)
3) Siyang Zhang/ Yongchao Yang ⭐⭐⭐
4) YoumeI Sun/ Zeen Li ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️ ( Sun is still very young, very easy qual twist. 3T and 3S solo jumps 👍 but throw jumps are not there yet. )