Coming to senior age:

Sofia Muravieva
Adeliia Petrosian
Sofia Samodelkina

Coming to junior age:

Alisa Dvoeglazova
Lyubov Rubtsova

Coaching changes:

Alena Kostornaia - from Eteri Tutberidze (Sambo 70) to Elena Buianova (CSKA)

Retirements and switching of disciplines/countries:

Sofia Samodurova - retired

Main topic:

Will we see russian skaters skating internationally or not?

Useful links:

FS biographies
National team
World standings
Allskaters.info
Skatingscores
RinkResults
FFKR (VPN required)
FFKM
CSKA skating

Last edited by a moderator:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Azikin

Medalist
I was searching for the button to go to the previous page and now I realized it's a new thread.. :biggrin:
Anyway, I'm really praying that at least some of those international assignments will become reality... :pray:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I will really miss the Russians if they are not allowed to skate. Funny how I just finished watching Rublev play in an ATP tennis match over in Madrid. The rules are so funny and it was interesting to watch Moris and Gubanova in Worlds when in my eyes, they are as Russian as it gets. I will enjoy the circuit regardless.

Amei

Record Breaker
I will really miss the Russians if they are not allowed to skate. Funny how I just finished watching Rublev play in an ATP tennis match over in Madrid. The rules are so funny and it was interesting to watch Moris and Gubanova in Worlds when in my eyes, they are as Russian as it gets. I will enjoy the circuit regardless.

I can't get behind supporting a sporting organization banning athletes based on their citizenship for something they have 0 control over, so I think I'll be sticking to domestic competitions next season.

But it is a little ironic that next season the only Russians competing internationally might be ethnic Russians that had to leave competing for Russia due to lack of international assignments.

Amei

Record Breaker

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Our knowledge of Russian ladies figure skating will go up exponentially next season.

We will be experts on the 50th ranked Russian by November. Haha
It will be basically like during the "covid season" 2020/21.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Little farewell to the 2021/22 season. Dasha's vlog from Tashkent and travel, most of the team members included:

Still little batty (pubescent), but cute, funny and friendly. At 13:20 you can se a true ace :biggrin: (I want that pack of cards).

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
I can't get behind supporting a sporting organization banning athletes based on their citizenship for something they have 0 control over, so I think I'll be sticking to domestic competitions next season.
I haven't found a good opportunity to say this yet(so I'm replying less to you than using your post to express a sentiment I've had for a while), but I think that it's probably for their own good that they're banned while the war is going on.

First of all, there's a good chance people will pester them to say SOMETHING about what is going on in Ukraine and there's a good chance that SOMEONE will not handle it well.
Secondly, figure skating events could become targets of political protests.
Third, there's a minimal but still worth mitigating chance of actual violence against Russians who participate in events. And this could increase if a skater was related to participant in the "special military operation" or even if they had a relative in the Russian military.

This post is about 1/3rd as long a sit was originally because it just made it too long. I took out the examples I've seen of 1 & 2 happening and for 3 I left out a report of a skater who does have a father(they seem estranged from) being in the military.

Amei

Record Breaker
I haven't found a good opportunity to say this yet(so I'm replying less to you than using your post to express a sentiment I've had for a while), but I think that it's probably for their own good that they're banned while the war is going on.

First of all, there's a good chance people will pester them to say SOMETHING about what is going on in Ukraine and there's a good chance that SOMEONE will not handle it well.
Secondly, figure skating events could become targets of political protests.
Third, there's a minimal but still worth mitigating chance of actual violence against Russians who participate in events. And this could increase if a skater was related to participant in the "special military operation" or even if they had a relative in the Russian military.

This post is about 1/3rd as long a sit was originally because it just made it too long. I took out the examples I've seen of 1 & 2 happening and for 3 I left out a report of a skater who does have a father(they seem estranged from) being in the military.

Respect your perspective but disagree:
Point #1: They can go no comment and if someone doesn't handle it well then that person has to deal with the fall out, not every single figure skater that happens to be Russian is completely wiped from international competition.
Point #2: As long as the ban is ongoing because of the Russian govt.'s actions, the ISU has made their events a political protest.
Point #2 & 3: Tennis did not ban Russian/Belarussian athletes, all they did was remove their flags from competition and website. To my knowledge there haven't been issues of protests or threats against the players. Tennis has the governing body that has a backbone and said they weren't going to punish the athletes for the actions of their government and is even considering sanctioning* Wimbledon who did ban them. << Additionally on the Wimbledon ban, many current/former greats came out in opposition to it as well.

*Editing to add, apparently Tennis is mulling a decision (which is supported by top-ranking players) that would strip Wimbledon from being a tournament that gives ranking points https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis-...iders-stripping-ranking-points-225009445.html << slightly OT about the Russian ladies but thought this was interesting from an organization intent on not punishing athletes for things they have no control over, crossing my fingers that the ISU takes a page from Tennis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.