2022-23 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2022-23 South Korean Figure Skating

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Knowing how strict the education system is in Korea, I don't know how any athlete can train and study at the same time and reach high levels in both, my admiration for the strong people of Korea but the system must change for the good of the mental and phisycal health of their people, seriously

sammylee

Rinkside
Country
South-Korea
Short program for pairs and rhythm dance is already on Youtube!
Also some videos of junior men and women are also updated

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
WC/JWC Team Korea:

WC
- Men: Cha Junhwan
- Women: Kim Yelim, Lee Haein, Kim Chaeyeon

JWC
- Men: Kim Hyungyeom (needs jr minimums)
- Women: Shin Jia, Kwon Minsol, Kim Yujae
Oh wow! Minsol must have skated cleanly and must have been wonderful. Yujae will make things interesting with her 3A. These are the six strongest lady skaters from Korea. Congrats to them all.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
National team for 23-24 season

- Men: Cha Junhwan, Lee Sihyeong, Seo Minkyu, Kim Hyungyeom
- Women: Shin Jia, Kim Chaeyeon, Lee Haein, Kim Yelim, Kwon Minsol, Kim Yujae, Wi Seoyeong, Youn Seojin

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
What's going on with Young You? I don't follow her closely, but she seemed tired or depressed to me at the very beginning of this season, and then also on the GP. I hope she's okay. Or does she have ongoing health issues?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
What will happen to Young You - does she lose any funding as a result of this? Will we not see her skate until the summer? :(

Does Yuseong Kim receive junior assignments for winning Junior Nationals? :) I'm a little confused why she didn't compete in seniors if Yujae did, is it because of the JGP series?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
What's going on with Young You? I don't follow her closely, but she seemed tired or depressed to me at the very beginning of this season, and then also on the GP. I hope she's okay. Or does she have ongoing health issues?
Her father passed away as mentioned, and also she has struggled with a back injury

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
What will happen to Young You - does she lose any funding as a result of this? Will we not see her skate until the summer? :(

Does Yuseong Kim receive junior assignments for winning Junior Nationals? :) I'm a little confused why she didn't compete in seniors if Yujae did, is it because of the JGP series?
a) Young does lose funding, but not all of it. She's on the reserve team next season so she does get some funding, just not the full rights of the main team. And we'll probably have to wait until the summer to see her skate again, yes.
b)To answer both of your questions you need to understand the 급(level) system. There are 8 levels with 8th being the highest, and skaters have to take tests to get their levels. Each level requires a certain technical skill (a 3-3 combo for women to get the 8th level, for example). Skaters who have 7th or 8th levels are "seniors", not taking age into account, and skaters who have 5th or 6th levels are "juniors". And to get international assignments you need to have a 7th level or higher. And since Yuseong hasn't taken her test for her 7th level yet she competed in "juniors" and she doesn't get any assignments. Yujae, on the other hand, does have her 7th level, hence her competing with the "seniors" and getting a JW assignment.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
a) Young does lose funding, but not all of it. She's on the reserve team next season so she does get some funding, just not the full rights of the main team. And we'll probably have to wait until the summer to see her skate again, yes.
b)To answer both of your questions you need to understand the 급(level) system. There are 8 levels with 8th being the highest, and skaters have to take tests to get their levels. Each level requires a certain technical skill (a 3-3 combo for women to get the 8th level, for example). Skaters who have 7th or 8th levels are "seniors", not taking age into account, and skaters who have 5th or 6th levels are "juniors". And to get international assignments you need to have a 7th level or higher. And since Yuseong hasn't taken her test for her 7th level yet she competed in "juniors" and she doesn't get any assignments. Yujae, on the other hand, does have her 7th level, hence her competing with the "seniors" and getting a JW assignment.
Thank you Ichatdelune :)

zebobes

Final Flight
Is anyone else annoyed that Minkyu didn't get the Junior World's assignment? Of course, Hyungyeom was very good too, but he hasn't been as consistent this season, but I think that he would have been a good 4CC assignment instead.

Of course, the Korea Federation had to do their best with the bad hand of only having one spot for both junior and senior world's, but I think if they could have been more strategic, they could have found a way to reward both Hyungyeom and Minkyu.

Now, the silver lining is that maybe with the long break before next year's JGP, it will give Minkyu plenty of time to learn his 3A. I also found the improvement in his 3Lutz at nationals quite encouraging, as he lost his spot on the podium at his first JGP because of his flutz.