2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program | Page 114 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics: Men's Short Program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The stuffies really weren't stuffed animals---they were made of metal or porcelain. You could see the lights reflecting off the surface.
Ah, my mistake. I thought they were actual stuffies.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There were stuffies presented to all skaters who won medals in the team comp. It is not a rumor. I watched it. Many pictures and videos exist also.
I certainly hope the stuffies presented at the "flower ceremony" were set aside for a few days for de-contamination, then handled in a hygienic manner.

The same cold not be guaranteed for random stuffies brought in by random fans. You might be trusted to de-contaminate your stuffies, sanitize your hands just before handling them, and use a properly fitted N-95 mask (without valve) to avoid breathing on them, but not every fan can be guaranteed to be that conscientious.

You may think that people don't touch, breathe or cough indiscriminately these days, but you would be wrong. I handed my passport to an airline employee who took it in her rubber-gloved (and presumably sanitized) hands and then proceeded to cough all over it. I accepted it back, put it away, and resolved to sanitize my hands after touching it for the rest of my trip. What choice did I have, other than wiping it down and taking a risk of damaging it? The good news is that this was several weeks ago, and I did not get COVID. But was I happy about it? Not a bit.

In addition, allowing fans to throw things on the ice requires a flotilla of gift-picker-uppers; it would be very hard to keep these skaters socially distanced from each other.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The stuffies really weren't stuffed animals---they were made of metal or porcelain. You could see the lights reflecting off the surface.
I hadn't realized that. That does make the initial sanitization easier.

I noticed that they were in some sort of holder, so the skaters could hold them without clutching the actual figurines.

iceskater10

On the Ice
Just in US Nationals this past January Yaros strap broke - and I don’t know about Tonya but his definitely broke, there was an audible gasp from the audience. If a gymnast has an equipment failure they get to fix their equipment and start again with no penalty as it is a safety . It is my belief this should be true of skating as well.
His boot broke, I think one of his hooks popped out. No time to fix in 3 mins.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They are soft, Bing Dwen Dwen is a lovable Panda in a magical suit of ice. In toy form the ice is clear plastic, but you can take him out of it.

He also has a love heart on his left paw awww.

BirthofBingDwenDwen.png
You can see the "ice suits" in a pile on the left side of the photo. And one soft Bing Dwen Dwen about to get suited up.

( :biggrin: I'm kinda of obsessed with Bing Dwen Dwen so I've been researching.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Ah, my mistake. I thought they were actual stuffies.

My understanding is that a plush version of the mascot is inside a clear plastic shell (to represent "ice").

It is easier to see clearly that the mascot counterpart for the Beijing Paralympics mascot ceremony also is a plush version.

I certainly hope the stuffies presented at the "flower ceremony" were set aside for a few days for de-contamination, then handled in a hygienic manner.

The same cold not be guaranteed for random stuffies brought in by random fans. ...

In addition, allowing fans to throw things on the ice requires a flotilla of gift-picker-uppers; it would be very hard to keep these skaters socially distanced from each other.

(y) (y)

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have a question about Hanyu's short program. I was watching the replay and the popped jump actually looked like it could have been part of the dance routine. I was wondering why he couldn't have put in that quad jump somewhere else in the program. The skaters seem to be able to do that in the long program if they miss a jump, sometimes they put it in later. I am guessing that in the short program there may not be any time to add in a jump later, but just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what the rules are.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I have a question about Hanyu's short program. I was watching the replay and the popped jump actually looked like it could have been part of the dance routine. I was wondering why he couldn't have put in that quad jump somewhere else in the program. The skaters seem to be able to do that in the long program if they miss a jump, sometimes they put it in later. I am guessing that in the short program there may not be any time to add in a jump later, but just thought I'd ask if anyone knows what the rules are.
You can only have three jumping passes in the short. One of them has to be a double or triple axel, one a solo triple or quad, and one jump in combination.

Once he popped that solo jump, he couldn't attempt another solo jump.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to my Facebook counter, this video of Donovan's SP has been viewed over 2 million times. 300,000 likes. (And you can view it in the US, whereas the Youtube ones are geoblocked). ETA: The Comite Olimpico's twitter video has been viewed 395,000 times.

Donovan should trademark "His smile could light up the rink". I remember when I first saw him, at a summer comp in 2017, my benchmate and I said the same thing almost in unison. Before he even skated.

Words cannot express how thrilled I am for this moment for Donovan.:hap10:

Last edited:

iceskater10

On the Ice
You are only allowed a certain amount of jump elements in each. Sometime in the SP/FS if the don't do their planned combo they put it in a different spot.

Rere

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Oh, it's the second last group warm-up, and I take a minute to get emotional. Such a great event, 29 guys, and I love all of them to pieces, and many of them - even more :love:
It's been 4 years since I started following the sport, and my second olympics. I'm so excited, and definitely understand more of what's going on this time around :D :D