2022 Skate Canada Who's Going & Live Reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Who's Going & Live Reports

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am here, but the trip is turning into a nightmare for my mom. Her flight was supposed to be at noon on Thursday, now it is delayed after sitting in the airport for hours till Friday at 10:30 am so with the time difference she is not landing till 6 pm. Which probably means she won’t make Men’s short since she needs to get to the hotel. She has a small backpack only (carry on) so I will ask if she can get directly to the stadium and they would let her in… Argh. Airlines are so frustrating!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am here, but the trip is turning into a nightmare for my mom. Her flight was supposed to be at noon on Thursday, now it is delayed after sitting in the airport for hours till Friday at 10:30 am so with the time difference she is not landing till 6 pm. Which probably means she won’t make Men’s short since she needs to get to the hotel. She has a small backpack only (carry on) so I will ask if she can get directly to the stadium and they would let her in… Argh. Airlines are so frustrating!
Toronto is the worst place to fly to... I usually end up paying more money to avoid transiting through Pearson... The few times I did, ughhhh... but of course, avoiding Pearson, when going to Toronto... not quite possible.

Hope your mom will not miss too much of it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It’s not Toronto. The airline she was in was weaving some weird story that airplane couldn’t land in Victoria due to wind, so they took it to Vancouver to take on more fuel, so the plane is heavier and can land safely, and… and there it sort of hang up till today. Like 🤷‍♀️ I mean, it’s lovely weather everywhere. I am not sure what happens next. They still showing the flight as ‘on time’ ha-hah for today.

Dawn825

Medalist
The men were looking a little ragged today at practice. As always though, very entertaining. I'm impressed with Kao's jumps and will be interested to see if he can make the podium. Does Deniss get taller each time I see him?! Must be a result of all his cooking. Very sorry Boyang had to drop out. Short programs tomorrow. They make me so nervous.

Was happy to get a good shot of my favorite.
Tbh it wouldn't be figure skating if the men didn't look ragged. What happened to Boyang?
Can you help me with my predictions?? I can't trust any of these guys 😭

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tbh it wouldn't be figure skating if the men didn't look ragged. What happened to Boyang?
Can you help me with my predictions?? I can't trust any of these guys 😭
I read he hasn't fully recovered from his appendicitis operation. Peng and Jin are out too. Jin has an Achilles problem...Shoma, Kao, Keegan. I think that's what Jackie Wong said too. He copied from me. LOL. Just kidding.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Jackie better not have jinxed Kao by putting him on the podium in his prediction
He may not think he's a jinx but I'm very superstitious and definitely think he is

Also, there's almost nowhere to hang banners in the arena
I wonder if they'll let us hang them over the back rows of seats that aren't being used
I payed for an extra check in bag to bring mine with me~😞

16Olympics

On the Ice
I hope your mom makes it safe and sound.

16Olympics

On the Ice
I read he hasn't fully recovered from his appendicitis operation. Peng and Jin are out too. Jin has an Achilles problem...Shoma, Kao, Keegan. I think that's what Jackie Wong said too. He copied from me. LOL. Just kidding.
Poor Jin. He's been suffering with appendicitis since before the Olympics. Hope he's recovering well. I didn't know Jackie predicted that podium but that's the one I picked after I found out Jin withdrew. I'm a little concerned that Kao has back to back events but I'm sure he'll be fine.

Ziotic

Medalist
Poor Jin. He's been suffering with appendicitis since before the Olympics. Hope he's recovering well. I didn't know Jackie predicted that podium but that's the one I picked after I found out Jin withdrew. I'm a little concerned that Kao has back to back events but I'm sure he'll be fine.
In this case back to back events aren’t so bad. He’s been in the same time zone for about 2 weeks now which maybe helpful and give an edge over those who may have jet lag.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It’s not Toronto. The airline she was in was weaving some weird story that airplane couldn’t land in Victoria due to wind, so they took it to Vancouver to take on more fuel, so the plane is heavier and can land safely, and… and there it sort of hang up till today. Like 🤷‍♀️ I mean, it’s lovely weather everywhere. I am not sure what happens next. They still showing the flight as ‘on time’ ha-hah for today.
Oh I see... Still not fun.... I am not sure I should be relieved that it's not Toronto's fault HAHA... because it means problems are everywhere

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Toronto is the worst place to fly to... I usually end up paying more money to avoid transiting through Pearson... The few times I did, ughhhh... but of course, avoiding Pearson, when going to Toronto... not quite possible.

Hope your mom will not miss too much of it.
My friends fly Porter from US.
Pearson is pure luck, I got through it pretty quickly last time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My friends fly Porter from US.
Pearson is pure luck, I got through it pretty quickly last time.
Indeed.. we tend to forget when it goes well... because it does happen... from time to time... but we will never forget when it doesn't go well... I could write a long post with my awful experiences... and those of my friends... I used to travel a lot for both work and pleasure and nowhere else comes to mind as the airport to avoid...

My funniest story about flying during the winter though was granted by Calgary airport... but again... not sure it was their fault... but we got an announcement saying that the toilets were frozen and thus out of order....so better use the airport facilities before boarding :)

It was during the holiday season and I had had a lot of bubbles... :) let me tell you that I was happy when I got out of the plane when landing at my final destination :)

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
At one point I was seriously considering going in person but wasn't able to swing it this year. Please cheer loudly for Yuhana on my behalf! (And Shoma, Deniss, Jimmy, Keegan, Camden, Miura/Kihara, Plazas/Fernandez, Chan/Howe, Green/Parsons etc)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I had tons of fun watching the practices! Was impressed by Daleman’s power, and that last warm up looked fantastic too, between Schizas, You and Thoringren. Looooove Thoringren! Dance looked better than I expected in second wu group, so actually looking forward to see full program. I guess appreciation for trying to pairs (sorry, nothing else positive to say)? But men were very entertaining. Gosh, gotta love Messing and Uno is here… and I love Rizzo and Selevko’s practices as well. Dunno, if Vasilijevs looks taller, I thought he slimmed down…

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I had tons of fun watching the practices! Was impressed by Daleman’s power, and that last warm up looked fantastic too, between Schizas, You and Thoringren. Looooove Thoringren! Dance looked better than I expected in second wu group, so actually looking forward to see full program. I guess appreciation for trying to pairs (sorry, nothing else positive to say)? But men were very entertaining. Gosh, gotta love Messing and Uno is here… and I love Rizzo and Selevko’s practices as well. Dunno, if Vasilijevs looks taller, I thought he slimmed down…
glad you saw daleman live... it's incredible how fast and powerful she is compared to many... too much power perhaps even.

pairs won't be fabulous at this event, that's to be expected, probably the weakest field of all GPs.

and yes on Messing too :) his spins !!!! I haven't seen Madeline nor Linsday live. Hoping for that some day soon.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
glad you saw daleman live... it's incredible how fast and powerful she is compared to many... too much power perhaps even.

pairs won't be fabulous at this event, that's to be expected, probably the weakest field of all GPs.

and yes on Messing too :) his spins !!!! I haven't seen Madeline nor Linsday live. Hoping for that some day soon.
I saw Daleman live before and this time she looks far more sure of herself! And her dress was totally fab. I have never seen Schizas live before and really wanted to. She is really a pleasure to watch, very light and the arms are wonderful.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I saw Daleman live before and this time she looks far more sure of herself! And her dress was totally fab. I have never seen Schizas live before and really wanted to. She is really a pleasure to watch, very light and the arms are wonderful.
great... hopefully this means gabby is back in top shape !!! and yeah.. maddie looks light on her feet with nice arms but i have not seen her live... of course, everyone says live is so different... BUT IT IS :)

16Olympics

On the Ice
So thankful that all of you GP'ers who are there and sharing.I thought SC would be hot in most of the events. It will be that from home and I'm sure it's so different in person! ENJOY!!!!