Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Arghl! I missed the medal ceremony for this again! :(

Anyone know of a way to rewatch it?

Last edited:

Cilla70

On the Ice
Words really can't describe how sublime P/C were. I'm glad they finally have their gold medal and did it with authority and confidence. It was otherworldly, really.

For me H/D were the deserving silver medallists for sure. Ice dance is politics and we knew S/K would get propped up for silver but they simply outskated S/K. That program was just magical and was technically foot perfect.

S/K I mean... congrats on their silver, but this is totally undeserved. There were balance checks by Nikita through that FS, and some elements really weren't that difficult yet achieved exceptionally high GOE (like the sliding move and twizzles). This vehicle felt inauthentic/inorganic the way P/C and H/D's programs were and had no actual storytelling/concept like Chock/Bates and that energetic sequence at the end is just as contrived and tacky as Nikita's RD shirt. I also don't buy people who say they were technically precise either - you could see awkward transitions and holds (particularly their first lift, which has never really been elegant or easy) and there wasn't a ton of risk or highlights compared to H/D and P/C. If they were from ANY second-tier nation, they would have been 5th.

Italians were lovely but I don't think this was their best skated FD. I really hope they stick around though (even if they are older) because they're so talented and would be great to see them slay in Milan. Also yay for the BFP happy reaction!

Gutted for Piper/Paul and FB/S having costly errors and underperforming. I hope this lights a fire for FB/S to continue because they have so much potential. Same with Stepanova/Bukin on the slide... it sucks they didn't get to do team and failed to have the FD of their careers at the Olympics but they've got mileage in them (especially if Sinitsina/Katsalapov move on).

Big mention to Smart/Diaz - that FD was EVERYTHING. If they were from a first-tier nation, they would have been top 6.
Felt bad for Piper and Paul also. Usually their skills and program choices are top five, but this year I think they made not good choices. S/K have really good skating skills but the RD was the worst for a top 5 team and the jig at the end of the FD really brought down the level of the entire program.

Cilla70

On the Ice
Trying to find an example of S/K video from the Olympics (anyone have it from Twitter or anything? I can see it on CBC but it isn't available outside that) to break it down more (not that I actually really care to see their dance again compared to the rest of the top 5), but I remember seeing this opening lift and every time being like augh the entry always looks so clunky and awkward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drlP7g1yGTM (around the :54 mark)

Their Olympic FD I watched to see if they had cleaned up the entrance, and they hadn't.

S/K's fast section at the end is just completely purposeless other than showing energy and ending with a crescendo, but it totally has no relation or cohesion to the first 2/3 of the dance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drlP7g1yGTM (around the 3:50 mark). It is a pure cheesefest that lacks any sophistication and even the energy isn't all there (like Nikita's half-hearted butterfly). The IN is just so subpar, switching to classic Russian histrionics instead of anything authentic or drawn from the music.

This is different from say, Smart/Diaz's final end to their FD where they actually increase the intensity and do very difficult footwork to build to a final pose after pretty much lighting the ice on fire. THAT is a good example of having a high-intensity final minute, and an inspired end to that program.

The fact that H/D's first lift (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_iYqgnIKZU#t=1m2s - this example is from Nationals) and S/K's first lift got the same GOE scores from the judges is absolute insanity. If you have access to the actual FD video you should compare the two - there's no way in hell that even Nikita in his prime would have been able to execute that lift.
Perfect example. Even P/C who are my favorite team cannot compare to that lift. Nikita’s twizzles were better but still so awkward looking. You are so correct about that last minute, no cohesion.

auser

Record Breaker
So my internet went out for the final three:eek2:

watched on my phone and now restarted. The final three were 💯

still like Madi and Zach better than SinKats, but the right team is going home with the gold. Félicitations, Gabby et Guillaume:clap:
Ugh, guess it was a challenging internet night for a few of us. Was relieved when NBC broadcast started. Glad you found work around.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
It's a week later and I think I have my thoughts settled on this event! In all honesty, the doping drama really ruined my enjoyment of the entirety of the Olympic figure skating. I just felt dejected and like I didn't want to engage. That being said, it did also remind why I love ice dance. I want to see 30 year olds skating their best ever - I want to see adults with experience and time use that to create memorable and emotional moments on the ice.

Overall, I think the result was kind of right. I would have loved to have seen the podium be P/C, H/D, S/K though.

P/C were amazing - their RD is one of the best this season for me. I don't love the free, and I don't feel compelled to watch it back but I did really appreciate that they adapted it throughout the season and made some of the lifts more intricate and relevent to the programme. If they go to World's I would expect to see another WR due to the L3 rotational lift. Well deserved and based on this event and the quad, worthy Olympic champions.

S/K were great, much better than the TE but for me, the programmes let it down. I didn't emotionally connect with them and the FD was honestly the messiest choreo. Amazing skating but the worst of their quad of drowsy FD selections for me. The tap between the twizzles as a connection? No touch slides? They are better and more capabale than that choreo would suggest.

H/D blew me away. Their RD has grown so much and I think it's one of their best. As for the free - that yellow box on the lift had me nervous the whole way through!! Still not the music I would've chosen for them but they skated it so well. They skated a silver worthy performance for me. I think they will be a big miss next season.

I thought that C/B were good but the FD didn't quite have the same sparkle as the team event. G/F - what a result for them! Thrilled for them. Gutted for G/P as this was just not their day. I know the lift has worked in the past but it's not a pretty one even when it works. I wish they'd gone back to Vincent because it packed the emotional and artistic punch that this didn't for me. I wish S/B had skated like Europeans! Regardless, so pleased that they are now Olympians. They've improved already under Morozov so intrigued to see what happens for them if they stay on. I know the FD is a bit marmite - but I love it, it's gorgeous.

S/D have been a revelation for me this season - what a dream season for them. I love the Zorro and for me, it had a similar Olympic moment feel to V/M's Moulin Rouge. I'm not sure why - maybe because it was great storytelling that the audience can get on board with. That and good lift variety. It's such a shame that he might be done because it feels like they're just hitting their stride!

Overall a good event, but wow do I need a break before Worlds! I thought about going, but it's just not financially an option for me this year so I think I'll maybe skip watching it live and breath some fresh air instead. So intrigued to see what the field will look like next season though!

Aklaus

Rinkside
I am really happy for H/D.
May be they deserved the sailver medal, but they are in the history books with the bronze medal too.
It has been a long way to the top. But they never gave up and can be proud on their successful career.
May be H/D could catch another silver medal at worlds. I will keep my fingers crossed.
I will miss them but I hope they will have a good time after retiring from skating.