2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Chloe Panetta/Flavien Giniaux are a new pairs team. They'll be representing France with Bruno Massot and Bruno Marcotte as coaches.
I've been hearing rumours about them partnering up for a while now, so nice to see that they finally confirmed it.

That being said, I am not sure what the future holds for them. Skate Canada has been reluctant to let their skaters go recently, and Chloe's jumps are weaker than what Flavien was used to with Oxana. Still, good luck to them 🤗

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I've been hearing rumours about them partnering up for a while now, so nice to see that they finally confirmed it.

That being said, I am not sure what the future holds for them. Skate Canada has been reluctant to let their skaters go recently, and Chloe's jumps are weaker than what Flavien was used to with Oxana. Still, good luck to them 🤗
I think Skate Canada clarified their policy and it's just about following those guidelines. I think for a skater like Chloé who skated at JWC it means two years to get a release. Does the 2 years start now or does it start when she last skated internationally ? That's the question I don't know the answer for... Or did Skate Canada changed their guidelines again ? In any case, Chloé didn't compete at all last year... will that simplify things for her ? As you have pointed out, the biggest worries may be jumps, not the Fed's release.

Also the instagram says

We are pleased to present the new couple who will represent ACSEL and France next season​

.. If the deal is not secured, wouldn't the language be different ?

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada

I'm wondering if Skate Canada is changing their attitude after Soucisse/Firus. Corey talked about how he'd be competing a lot next season on the Anything GOEs World's recap and was going over his plans with FISG for it. He'd have to be released in order to start making those plans.

Plus if Skate Canada is going to propose reforming the release rules to make it easier for skaters for the ISU Congress, it'd look silly for them to keep to the rules they wanted for Sourcisse/Firus.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Chloe Panetta/Flavien Giniaux are a new pairs team. They'll be representing France with Bruno Massot and Bruno Marcotte as coaches.
Wow, I'm happy for Chloe. I hope this works out for her. ✨

ETA: I wonder if they will train in France with Bruno Massot and get additional help from BMarcotte via Zoom or Facetime? Will Julie Marcotte choreograph? Are they both still junior eligible, or are moving to senior?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wow, I'm happy for Chloe. I hope this works out for her. ✨

ETA: I wonder if they will train in France with Bruno Massot and get additional help from BMarcotte via Zoom or Facetime? Will Julie Marcotte choreograph? Are they both still junior eligible, or are moving to senior?
I wonder the opposite :) Seems to me like it will be 50-50. Chloe is no longer junior eligible. That's why her partnership with Kieran Trasher ended in the first place.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Sorry to hear about Matthew and Kristina. I saw that post on IG earlier. I enjoyed their skating and I looked forward to seeing more from them. That's the way of this sport, though. Many blessings and best wishes to Kristina and Matthew in their separate career paths. Thanks for the lovely memories. ❤️

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Noooo... :( Why? He has so much potential. I was hoping that next season would be the one where it all came together for him.
I thought he was improving a lot... but I can understand why he would want to get a different life. I feel he probably knew it was his last season... I will survive but yeah... it's a tough one to swallow

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Noooo... :( Why? He has so much potential. I was hoping that next season would be the one where it all came together for him.
I'm sorry to see Conrad moving on. I'm sure he'll be fine and successful on his new life path. ❤️ But I also feel that he had a lot of untapped potential as a skater. He had improved a great deal under Ravi Walia. He was almost there, and then one mistake when he gets the 2023 Worlds opportunity and he doesn't make the cut. He skated very well, too, with a quad. But one mistake cost him. 😢 Conrad had the ability to score in mid-to-high 80s in the sp, so that was a difficult result to swallow when the opportunities are so few and far between. Luck is such a huge factor.

So many skaters have to reassess when they don't see enough forward progress or votes of confidence from judges and their federation. Kristina Bland & Matthew Sperry are another example. They were a very good ice dance team, but were kept in the middle of the pack every year in juniors, despite having a top coach in Shpilband. When goals are not reached, other options and interests beckon because the sport is too expensive an investment. There's no chance to fully develop when expectations are high, roadblocks are higher, and the chances to make progress and succeed at the top are few. It is especially hard when promising skaters are not treated with sufficient nurturing and patience.

The ISU doesn't seem to care, not with the limited fields and brutal cuts they make at Worlds. There needs to be other ways explored to increase competitive opportunities and to provide beneficial pathways to success for skaters.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to see Conrad moving on. I'm sure he'll be fine and successful on his new life path. ❤️ But I also feel that he had a lot of untapped potential as a skater. He had improved a great deal under Ravi Walia. He was almost there, and then one mistake when he gets the 2023 Worlds opportunity and he doesn't make the cut. He skated very well, too, with a quad. But one mistake cost him. 😢 Conrad had the ability to score in mid-to-high 80s in the sp, so that was a difficult result to swallow when the opportunities are so few and far between. Luck is such a huge factor.

So many skaters have to reassess when they don't see enough forward progress or votes of confidence from judges and their federation. Kristina Bland & Matthew Sperry are another example. They were a very good ice dance team, but were kept in the middle of the pack every year in juniors, despite having a top coach in Shpilband. When goals are not reached, other options and interests beckon because the sport is too expensive an investment. There's no chance to fully develop when expectations are high, roadblocks are higher, and the chances to make progress and succeed at the top are few. It is especially hard when promising skaters are not treated with sufficient nurturing and patience.

The ISU doesn't seem to care, not with the limited fields and brutal cuts they make at Worlds. There needs to be other ways explored to increase competitive opportunities and to provide beneficial pathways to success for skaters.
Conrad is in a difficult situation. He has to do the best for him. This is kind of a big year for skaters - you either go for the next olympics in 2026 or you retire now because m ost won't retire if they skate at the 2025 worlds knowing the olympics are just a year a way so you might as well go with it. Of course it is great to go out on a good note ie a world or national title. But life isn't always a perfect picture. Anyone who knows Conrad personally knows he is very driven so his "new" endeavour is something he will want to give 110%. I hope he can leave with no regrets. Admittedly who knows what is going on in the skater's mind really. Sure they give media releases but having only one spot for the men for Canada may have played a part. He had been improving but not making the world cut was probably devastating. There are not as many opportunities in skating now as there were in the past - in particular skating shows.I am sad losing Conrad and Patrick Chan says he no longer will skate shows is sad too but I get it. He essentially has to get into shape for shows for two mos which I am guessing is hard to make a living. We don't see as many skating stars doing shows look at even Davis and White, Belbin and Agosto, Virtue and Moir, Osmond, Evan L, Joannie Rochette, Hubbell and Donahoe, Ashley Wagner...very few shows if any in some cases. A lot are coaching, doing choreo or have a totally different profession which is time consuming. I think Conrad has a plan with his education; I wish him well. Canada is still looking for a top ten man, and woman and a pairs team to replace the current world champs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canada is still looking for a top ten man, and woman and a pairs team to replace the current world champs.
???? If you are thinking they will retire after the Olympic games, that's most likely true. But so many teams will retire after 2026... so why single them out ? I bet Japan, Italy, China even perhaps Germany will be looking deep to find replacements for their top pairs. Can we focus on the people who are actually retiring in this thread and not turn it into a crystal ball of who may or may not retire ?