2022-23 Coaching, Country and Discipline changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Last edited:

gleungc6

On the Ice
Not only has she been training there, but her mom has also confirmed that she'll be switching to represent Spain in the comments under this post:

Sounds like her mom is (partially?) Spanish, as they went to visit her family when they were in Spain.

I don’t know too much about the Spanish fed, but at least in terms of the over saturation of the US singles field it seems like a smart move. Excited for her! Hope to see her on the international circuit soon then, as I don’t believe She competed internationally last season?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's probably mentioned in the new partnerships thread: Chelsea Liu/ Balasz Nagy have been added to US figure skating ISP list.

Nagy repped the U.S. in juniors and for a season in seniors with Kate Finster. After splitting with Finster, he repped his native Hungary with another partner prior to recently pairing with Chelsea Liu, who took time off after her concussion injury in Fall 2021.

Now, to find out whether Gabbie & Thierry will rep Canada or the U.S.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
or if they are even officially a team. It is quite possible that Thierry was invited to work with Gabbie as he is such a strong lifter and thrower. He's been training alone for several months so he may have seized the day. Of course, we will find out soon and I am not saying it's impossible a new team is formed ;) but just entertaining the other side for now.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Oh, I personally don't doubt that Gabbie/ Thierry have partnered. The problem is that WASA pairs jumped the gun in making the announcement. Surely, Thierry and Lori-Ann informed SC that they had split. For whatever reason, it wasn't announced publicly.

The situation wasn't clear at first either, when a video was posted of Thierry practicing a throw jump with Gabbie.

However, it seems clear to me now that Thierry went to Colorado for a try-out with Gabbie, not just a training session. That announcement with Gabbie & Thierry pictured together smiling, would not have been posted on WASA pairs Instagram unless the two had decided to partner. The issue appears to be following proper country-related logistics and protocols, before publicizing their partnership.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ Oh, I personally don't doubt that Gabbie/ Thierry have partnered. The problem is that WASA pairs jumped the gun in making the announcement. Surely, Thierry and Lori-Ann informed SC that they had split. For whatever reason, it wasn't announced publicly.

The situation wasn't clear at first either, when videos were released of Thierry practicing a throw jump with Gabbie. However, it seems clear to me now that Thierry went to Colorado for a try-out with Gabbie, not just a training session. That announcement with Gabbie & Thierry pictured together smiling, would not have been posted on WASA pairs Instagram unless the two had decided to pair. The issue appears to be following proper country-related logistics and protocols, before publicizing their partnership.
probably... I didn't get to see that post... and I wouldn't be surprised. Thierry is such a strong skater and if Gabbie is picking things up quickly, as she is also a very strong skater, they could make a competitive team. You know, it's just the "i have been following them since novice days" part of me that is not yet ready to see them split ;)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ I totally get it about being invested in skaters and partnerships. Figure skating fandom can be uplifting, thrilling, and heartbreaking. I've experienced lots of roller coaster rides over the years.

I don't particularly care for this current social media state of affairs where news is so incremental, random, and disparate. Stuff gets out there without formal, official announcements, or complete information. As a result, the parties in question often try to keep things underwraps for long periods of time, or else never make any formal announcements, but just show up on competitor lists. I'm not specifically talking about any one team, just the skating scene in general.

The Gabbie/ Thierry announcement was posted on Reddit before WASA pairs removed it from their Instagram:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OKay... now let's wait for the official statement and release North or South.....

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Yes @4everchan. We may not hear anything further for awhile. Gabbie & Thierry look good together in the photo. Gabbie looks more petite and shorter than I realized she is. And Thierry looks taller than I realized, though I always knew he's a very strong, skilled pairs guy.

On WASA pairs Instagram, there's a recent group post with Gabbie, Thierry, Luke Wang, and a fourth person I can't identify. It does not look like Luke's partner, Liv Flores. Maybe it's Amber Glenn? Or just another friend from the rink. They were having fun hiking, likely in Colorado's Garden of the Gods.

I had forgotten about another new pair training at the WASA rink: Ben Jalovick (former U.S. men's singles skater -- he's a Type 1 diabetic), and his partner, Pauline Irman. They will represent Switzerland.

Ben's posts are so clever and funny. In one, he demonstrates for his partner Pauline, how to secure her hair in a bun using a pink mesh glove. LOL! 😆 In another post, he shows off steak knives he made for Danny O'Shea, by recycling Danny's old John Wilson skate blades! A very cool and resourceful idea:

In yet another post, Ben references a bad skating horror movie, Everfall, in which the script writers mistakenly think that the death spiral is the most difficult and dangerous move in pairs figure skating. 🤣😂😜

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Yes @4everchan. We may not hear anything further for awhile. Gabbie & Thierry look good together in the photo. Gabbie looks more petite and shorter than I realized she is. And Thierry looks taller than I realized, though I always knew he's a very strong, skilled pairs guy.

On WASA pairs Instagram, there's a recent group post with Gabbie, Thierry, Luke Wang, and a fourth person I can't identify. It does not look like Luke's partner, Liv Flores. Maybe it's Amber Glenn? Or just another friend from the rink. They were having fun hiking, likely in Colorado's Garden of the Gods.

I had forgotten about another new pair training at the WASA rink: Ben Jalovick (former U.S. men's singles skater -- he's a Type 1 diabetic), and his partner, Pauline Irman. They will represent Switzerland.

Ben's posts are so clever and funny. In one, he demonstrates for his partner Pauline, how to secure her hair in a bun using a pink mesh glove. LOL! 😆 In another post, he shows off steak knives he made for Danny O'Shea, by recycling Danny's old John Wilson skate blades! A very cool and resourceful idea:

In yet another post, Ben references a bad skating horror movie, Everfall, in which the script writers mistakenly think that the death spiral is the most difficult and dangerous move in pairs figure skating. 🤣😂😜
@High Carbon :hap10:;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

Thierry is quite short... like 5'7 for a pairs guy. He is super strong though. With Lori-Ann, I felt they were mini-Sui/Han... well I say mini because they were not at their level of course, but that was the vibe I was getting from them....

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ Yes, I'm not surprised. I thought Thierry might be around 5'8". He's certainly strong and muscular. Anyway, Gabbie looks petite in the pic of them together, but in the video of their throw jump, their height difference doesn't seem a lot. But that's probably due to the movement and lean involved in skating.

I looked up Gabbie's height stats. She's 1.56m or 5 ft 1 1/2 in.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ Yes, I'm not surprised. I thought Thierry might be around 5'8". He's certainly strong and muscular. Anyway, Gabbie looks petite in the pic of them together, but in the video of their throw jump, their height difference doesn't seem a lot. But that's probably due to the movement and lean involved in skating.

I looked up Gabbie's height stats. She's 1.56m or 5 ft 1 1/2 in.
Lori-Ann is 152cm, 5 ft, as a comparison point.

High Carbon

Skate technician
Rinkside
Country
United-States

Can confirm that the 4th person is indeed my partner Pauline Irman! 😁
Everfall feels like a fever dream of a movie now... so obscure I can hardly believe it was made.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I think it's a first for me putting in a category and country change at the same time :) At least I suppose the singles to pairs switch is a recent one for Mr Jalovick? If not, someone please let me know and I'll edit it out.

ruiying

Rinkside
Just read that Junhwan leaves Orser and is now being coached by Chi?
Jun has been co-coached by Chi officially since the 2022-23 season, but had been working almost full time with her since at least 2021-22, given that he couldn't return to Canada due to corona, then university (attendance and status as student athlete is important for national team selection eligibility, and that in turn is important for delaying mandatory military service). Zoom coaching didn't work because of the time difference, so Jun was only really working with Brian at competitions they met at and he went to Toronto for a few weeks between Finlandia and NHK. So while it is a big change in some ways, Jun hadn't really been able to return to Toronto for 3 years...

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Looks like U.S. junior skater Elyce Lin-Gracey has switched coaches from Naomi Nari Nam and Amy Evidente to Tammy Gambill and company. She thanked her coaching team after the Broadmoor Open competition today on her Instagram...

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's probably mentioned in the new partnerships thread: Chelsea Liu/ Balasz Nagy have been added to US figure skating ISP list.

Nagy repped the U.S. in juniors and for a season in seniors with Kate Finster. After splitting with Finster, he repped his native Hungary with another partner prior to recently pairing with Chelsea Liu, who took time off after her concussion injury in Fall 2021.

A follow-up to the news about Liu/ Nagy repping the U.S. rather than Hungary:

On TeamToddandJenni Instagram account, under a profile pic story, several teams are highlighted in training practices, including Chelsea Liu & Balasz Nagy.

Thus, Liu/ Nagy will be training in Irvine (not surprising since Chelsea was trained by Jenni & Todd in juniors and in seniors — Balasz had trained in Colorado with Sappenfield previously, when paired with Kate Finster in juniors, and briefly in seniors during the pandemic season).

Status
Not open for further replies.