2023 Russian Nationals Pairs Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 Russian Nationals Pairs Free Skate

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I think they didn't. Especially Nastya.

Mmmm. Interesting. I thought she had collapsed onto the ice in delight. But, to you it looked like it was in despair.

It's probably too late for me to do it now because we have a quick turnaround and I have a reminder post to make out. But, I'll watch it again during the next resurfacing to see how I interpret it the second time around.

CaroLiza_fan

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I agree. She knew that 2S was going to hurt them. When two teams are so evenly matched, a mistake is going to be costly. The results were fair, except I think K/K should have had the bronze.
The 2S isn't the problem because B/K got 3S<.
Nastya didn't do the Euler so the combo wasn't counted at all. I honestly expected 1Eu<<.

niks

On the Ice
Dramatic ending 2.0 :) For a moment I thought we were gonna have another draw out there :biggrin:

Feel bad for Nastya, she took it quite hard and I understand it must be a big disappointement

But Sasha and Dimitri deserve their win, and specially Dimitri seems so moved by it :ghug: How much work and sacrificies they must have put into this title (that probably goes for everyone :) so good for them that they get to enjoy the reward!

chooey

On the Ice
Country
Indonesia
Feel bad for Nastya, she took it quite hard and I understand it must be a big disappointement
It is a big disappointment for her of course after their winning streak but sooner or later I think M/G will lose, you can’t always be perfect 😅

I love M/G but I think they need to lose sometimes to B/K. It makes their rivalry more interesting.

Congrats, Sasha & Dima

Reactions: DMS

Pairluv

Final Flight
The 2S isn't the problem because B/K got 3S<.
Nastya didn't do the Euler so the combo wasn't counted at all. I honestly expected 1Eu<<.
I couldn't really tell. Sometimes her Euler looks like a stumble. :LOL: I thought it was counted in the score box. But, I totally agree that she knew what the results were going to be.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Even if it wasn’t the best ever Pairs FS event, it was world class from
Start to finish. No Pairs are as enjoyable to watch as a skating Nation than the Russians! Congrats to every team! In that field, even fantastic M/E’s 8th place can easily compete with the rest of the world! ❤️
Loved K/K all the way through!!! Happy for B/K, sad for M/G. It’s usually the latter who do more for me.
As for Zhenya and Vovan: I was hoping they do it one more time, as I don’t know for how long they’re going to be around. Well, I blame Vovan’s dyed eyebrows for that. :biggrin:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Omigod, so happy for B/K win! And, I am not Kolesov’s fan, but, like, they should have had bronze imo. I also absolutely adore Boyarintzeva and I can’t believe I hadn’t seen her before! Sad for Mukhortova/Evgeniev

pesto

On the Ice
I didn't see the SP, and don't know how much lead T&M had from that over K&K. I certainly think they should have been behind on the Free, but I guess reputation scoring always plays a role.

I always feel sorry for whoever loses out in a tight contest, and it's especially tough as they have no international chances this year

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As for Zhenya and Vovan: I was hoping they do it one more time, as I don’t know for how long they’re going to be around. Well, I blame Vovan’s dyed eyebrows for that. :biggrin:

:ROFLMAO: I'm so glad you typed this!! I was so startled at the first close-up of his face. Eyebrows and beard both seemed off, or too much, or somethin'. Then I remembered a relative of mine whose hair was completely gray, while his beard was still dark brown. But at least it looked natural. Well, maybe they figured Vovan's dyed brows were like some of the women's make-up seems -- too much close-up, but fine for the live audiences.

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't see the SP, and don't know how much lead T&M had from that over K&K. I certainly think they should have been behind on the Free, but I guess reputation scoring always plays a role.

I always feel sorry for whoever loses out in a tight contest, and it's especially tough as they have no international chances this year

It's worth remembering that Russian Nationals have always been the most difficult for Mishi/Galli. In fact, last year was the first year they won. Before, their highest finish was 4th, except for their junior win.

I think Tamara should have changed their 3S-eu-3S to a 3T-2A-2A this year. Base value is close to 2 points higher. And Nastya has nearly always (until this year, actually) had trouble with the euler being too close to a step-out.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mmmm. Interesting. I thought she had collapsed onto the ice in delight. But, to you it looked like it was in despair.

Collapsing onto the ice at the end is part of the program. But holding her hand over her eyes, probably to hide her tears, isn't.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Collapsing onto the ice at the end is part of the program. But holding her hand over her eyes, probably to hide her tears, isn't.

Sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread. So, thank you for reminding me.

After the stream ended, I did re-watch the bit immediately after Nastya and Sasha finished their programme and, to me, it still looked like she was happy when she was down on the ice. But, after she got up and we saw the close-up of her face, she definitely was not. She was very upset. I didn't see that close up at the time (too busy reading and writing on here!)

It's amazing how looking away and missing a few seconds can totally give you the wrong impression of something.

CaroLiza_fan

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, I forgot to come back to this thread. So, thank you for reminding me.

After the stream ended, I did re-watch the bit immediately after Nastya and Sasha finished their programme and, to me, it still looked like she was happy when she was down on the ice. But, after she got up and we saw the close-up of her face, she definitely was not. She was very upset. I didn't see that close up at the time (too busy reading and writing on here!)

It's amazing how looking away and missing a few seconds can totally give you the wrong impression of something.

CaroLiza_fan
you're welcome. And yes, a few seconds of looking away can totally give one the wrong impression!

I've watched that program multiple times over the past couple of months, so Nastya's smile as she's lying on the ice is, in fact, part of the program, (something about a rock star and a fan or girl next door, in my opinion). She was upset, though, and the smile faded quickly.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I just watched the pairs free finally, I think this event was a hot mess. My observations ;

the pairs seemed to have a lot of mistakes.. I feel like a lot of pairs had programs not suitable to their strengths and style.. many of the younger pairs I found had programs far too powerful and jammed with content they couldn’t physically keep up. It was like the theme was power and content and hope for the best. Many pairs didn’t suit the music choices..thats including M/Gand their Elvis program.. I found it so cringe to watch. They tried to get into that theme but for me it was way off. Had flash backs of Candy Man. Some of the scores.. I know Russian domestic events are always inflated but come on ..it was ridiculous. I haven’t watched any other event so I will be doing some of that tonight. I was really pulling for T/M tbh but they just weren’t clicking yet.the struggle was real.