2023 Russian Nationals Women's Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2023 Russian Nationals Women's Free Skate

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
No, she’s the one that needs to chill as she’s the one on the ice, not the choreograper. The choreography gave her mediocre material, but it’s on her to make it look good. Solely blaming the choreographer for something like that is a cop-out. It’s like blaming the writer for a movie star’s terrible acting. He may have been given poor lines, but his delivery was still awful.
I disagree. There are a lot of actors that were given the label of "bad actor" because of their roles in certain films, but with different material, they show that they are brilliant and their "bad acting" is because they were instructed to act exactly like that by the directors.

What do you want her to do, do something completely different on the ice in competitions than what is being drilled into her head (and body - muscle memory!) every single day in training?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
wait for US Nats (Italian Nats were creative as well btw)
Creative is the right word for Italian Nationals, and I honestly don't want to know what Ilia will score at US Nats - Almost all (bigger) feds overscore at least a portion of their skaters (usually the ones on the national team).

Generally, the most honest bigger fed Nationals are usually Japanese nationals (but not always, KanaDai's scores were actually pretty crazy for two falls) - They do overscore some skaters in comparison to the other skaters who competed, but mostly, they're pretty harsh on everyone.

niks

On the Ice
I didn't understand anything of what was said during the interview but it had a lovely vibe where everyone was happy and friendly with each other.

Kamila, even in defeat, was all smiles and congratulated Sofia in a way that looked very sincere. She seems like a cheerful and kind person. I'm warming up a lot to her 🤗

And I'm very happy for Liza's medal as well!

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Just like in the short, this Nationals tied with 2019 as the highest scoring ever. 13 skaters got over 190 points.

This nationals would have beaten 2019 if only Paramonova scored 2 more points (i.e not fall on the Lutz).

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
H9OfWjq.png

Demandred

On the Ice
I didn't understand anything of what was said during the interview but it had a lovely vibe where everyone was happy and friendly with each other.
They were very friendly and complementary of each other, Sofia was full of praise for the other two and they had plenty of praise for her too. It was nice to see.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I know some will think she isn't the best example, but doesn't Kamila landing those quads prove that women's adult bodies can handle that? Yeah i know she's 16 but she isn't a typical 16yo Russian figure skater, skinny/tiny. Very far from being like Anna, Sasha, Aliona or even Medvedeva at the same age. She's actually bigger than Tuktik and i am not only talking about the height.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I know some will think she isn't the best example, but doesn't Kamila landing those quads prove that women's adult bodies can handle that? Yeah i know she's 16 but she isn't a typical 16yo Russian figure skater, skinny/tiny. Very far from being like Anna, Sasha, Aliona or even Medvedeva at the same age. She's actually bigger than Tuktik and i am not only talking about the height.
Almost everyone is actually bigger than Tuktik. :) As for Kamila her quad toes are pure art.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I think the main thing with quads for women is where they are in the puberty process when they learn them. Kami and Sasha and Anna all learned them before their bodies got the better of them. Then once the bodies start changing, it's WAY harder to keep them. But then also the amount of time they train, the window they have to successfuly keep the quads is very short. The injuries start chasing them (see Sasha and Anna).

Then you have Elizaveta, who didn't even start learning the 4T until her 20s! She is the one I think is amazing. It is a shame that her 4T is so unstable, I would love to see her do it in comp sometime. I am just happy that she has the most consistent 3A of any woman skater in the world.