2023 World Team Trophy - General Info | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy - General Info

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If not a serious event then don’t have it as an ISU event. Then the end of year fun can really be fun with nothing on the line but money.

I don't care whether it's an ISU event or not, nor if it's even held. Of course, I'll watch the actual skating because it beats not having skating to watch, but it's not circled on my calendar.

By the way, the skaters don't seem to take it seriously either. Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon previewed the event on their podcast. I didn't particularly care for either of their skating while they were competing, but their podcast is hilarious, and highly recommended.

My recollections from the podcast are that Adam didn't even know how many times he'd participated (once), and Ashley had vague memories of being a team captain a time or two. Neither really knew exactly how skaters were picked. At one point, they had it confused with a made-up event they once participated in where the teams were based on continents, rather than countries. This is in great contrast to their vivid memories of the World Championships, which they discussed on other episodes.

They said the skaters were really tired by this point, and mainly wanted to survive the event. They both appreciated the team aspect because they had a box to cheer them on to the end of their long programs, but neither liked the phony rah-rah, and they alluded to others who were uncomfortable with it, too, but didn't name any names or nationalities. They said one year, Scott Moir didn't want to bother with the event at all, but I don't remember how that all ended up.

What they did enjoy were the large and supportive Japanese audiences who cheered for every skater... and the money "just for showing up." No surprises there. They also said it was one of the few competitions where they got to mingle more with skaters in other disciplines, which is not something I'd considered. They also said the only way to make a living in the sport was to be a Japanese skater or skate in Japanese shows, so the exposure was important.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just discovered that the Opening Ceremony started 10 minutes ago on the Short Dance stream.

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the ISU YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIs6VfINDHI

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
You call this no depth? Look at other feds :shrug: Canada is still one of the big 5 (?) and will always qualify and find enough athletes (or the other way round).

eta: maybe we're leaning into the wrong direction now as well. As I understood it, the question was whether to invite even more athletes. Which would exclude even more (smaller) countries?
Italy is also in practically without women singles, also with medals in pairs and dance.

yesterday

Record Breaker
Yeah, could go either way. Or there's the possibility of "split teams" for smaller feds. E.g. one fed with 1 woman, 1 man and 1 pair or ID team go together with another fed with 1 woman, 1 man and 1 pair or ID team. That would make it even for the feds and still have more singles skaters there.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
All disciplines could be made equal by having one entry per country/team, but allowing substitutes in up to 2 disciplines. Japan could still have two single men and single women, which is their big audience draw, they just wouldn't be able to skate both programs.

This might add a few skaters overall. For instance Canada might decide to use subs in ice dance and pairs, which would add 2 skaters (10 total skaters vs 8 in current scheme). However, teams who decided to use only one sub would have either no extra skaters (sub in ID or pairs) or one fewer skater (one sub in singles). And if a team decided to use no subs at all, they would have 2 less skaters.

Or if you're really set on having all teams consist of 8 skaters, allow teams to sub in two singles skaters or one pair or ice-dance duo.

It could be something like the Olympics, but without the dreaded team cut after the short programs.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This video can evidently be viewed at the venue by scanning a QR code in the program. Team USA greets fans in Japanese.

(At the last WTT, Jason prepared remarks in Japanese and phonetically translated for his teammates, I would bet he did the same here)

Weathergal

Medalist
This video can evidently be viewed at the venue by scanning a QR code in the program. Team USA greets fans in Japanese.

(At the last WTT, Jason prepared remarks in Japanese and phonetically translated for his teammates, I would bet he did the same here)

That is just so cool! And I'm so impressed with Jason's knowledge of Japanese. A friend of mine, who has been learning Japanese for years, said as an English speaker, it's not easy. She has visited Japan several times and really enjoys it. What a great way for Team USA and all the teams to end their season!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Team USA for running away with the Gold, Team Korea who shined and won Silver at their first WTT and to Team Japan struggling a bit but did enough to win the Bronze! Well done!👏👏 Shout out to the other teams that didn’t medal but had some really fine performances 😊

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
That is just so cool! And I'm so impressed with Jason's knowledge of Japanese. A friend of mine, who has been learning Japanese for years, said as an English speaker, it's not easy. She has visited Japan several times and really enjoys it.
I think it depends on the language group you’re raised on or used to. I’m an English speaker (raised trilingual though - Yoruba, Arabic, English) and Japanese was very easy to learn, but I I also spoke Bengali beforehand. (I learned Japanese while working in Japan in the early-mid 00s. Still can’t read it to this day, though.)

However, I have a very hard time with the Romance languages. I can’t even speak a lick of French, which is just downright embarrassing. That whole language group is difficult for me yet the so-called “harder” languages were easy. So I think it just depends on where you’re from.

Weathergal

Medalist
I think it depends on the language group you’re raised on or used to. I’m an English speaker (raised trilingual though - Yoruba, Arabic, English) and Japanese was very easy to learn, but I I also spoke Bengali beforehand. (I learned Japanese while working in Japan in the early-mid 00s. Still can’t read it to this day, though.)

However, I have a very hard time with the Romance languages. I can’t even speak a lick of French, which is just downright embarrassing. That whole language group is difficult for me yet the so-called “harder” languages were easy. So I think it just depends on where you’re from.
Makes sense. As I was writing that, I was wondering what languages might be a better "base" for learning Japanese than English so that is interesting to hear your language background.

My friend I mentioned earlier actually started off speaking German and learned English in kindergarten. She also mentions that she find the written part of Japanese especially challenging.

I generally have found romance languages the easiest to pick up (as although I'm just a dabbler) with the exception of French. I think it's a beautiful language, but I just can't distinguish the nuances very well. I also enjoyed taking German, which I studied in college. I tried my hand at Russian, but I didn't get too far with it.

I think your background is interesting in general! I have to confess I wasn't familiar with Yoruba and had to Google it. It sounds like you've lived in many places, which I find fascinating!