2024 Ephesus Cup | Jan 22-28 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2024 Ephesus Cup | Jan 22-28

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
They've been struggling with health issues, and have had to take multiple breaks from training over the last few months. :(

Ah. That would explain it.

(It was them, wasn't it? If you want to check, here is the direct link to them coming out onto the ice to do a bit of a warm-up just before doing the programme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakC6dabTHM&t=19177)

All the best to them in getting back to full fitness!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Where's Javi? :p

And why is Mateusz wearing a tin foil shirt? Does he think he's a Christmas Turkey?

7th?! I thought that performance was better than last position.

They really were roasted by the Judges.

CaroLiza_fan

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Ah. That would explain it.

(It was them, wasn't it? If you want to check, here is the direct link to them coming out onto the ice to do a bit of a warm-up just before doing the programme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eakC6dabTHM&t=19177)

All the best to them in getting back to full fitness!

CaroLiza_fan
No, seeing them now, they look taller than Jillian and Agahan, and Jillian has lighter hair. I think that's Katarina DelCamp-Akalin/Berk Akalin. Guessing the US hasn't released her yet then (even though she hasn't competed for the US in years)? :palmf:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No, seeing them now, they look taller than Jillian and Agahan, and Jillian has lighter hair. I think that's Katarina DelCamp-Akalin/Berk Akalin. Guessing the US hasn't released her yet then (even though she hasn't competed for the US in years). :palmf:

Ah, sorry.

Hang on, why would it be the Americans releasing her? Katarina was skating for Great Britain with Billy Wilson-French a couple of years ago. Unless she had not got released by the Americans before that partnership ended.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ah, the skater I nearly adopted with his old partner last year on now with his new partner.

I love this programme!

:cheer: ALL THE BEST SERAINA AND LAURIN!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I always have a little giggle when Seraina and Laurin do their Free Dance, because it is obvious that that programme was intended for Milla and Laurin. (It's a "Lord Of The Dance" programme, and Milla is half-Irish).

I wonder if this programme was intended for Milla and Laurin too. They had a spooky programme last season, so maybe "Ghostbusters" was supposed to be a follow-up.

Nevertheless, Seraina and Laurin are great at it!

Into 6th position. But less than a point behind 4th.

:cheer: WELL DONE SERAINA AND LAURIN!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Ah, sorry.

Hang on, why would it be the Americans releasing her? Katarina was skating for Great Britain with Billy Wilson-French a couple of years ago. Unless she had not got released by the Americans before that partnership ended.

CaroLiza_fan
Not sure if she was released by the US, considering they never ended up actually competing, but I'm not sure why the UK wouldn't release her (especially since it seems that they released Billy to skate for Canada already).

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not sure if she was released by the US, considering they never ended up actually competing, but I'm not sure why the UK wouldn't release her (especially since it seems that they released Billy to skate for Canada already).

Ah, right. I thought Katarina and Billy had done some domestic competitions, but sure they wouldn't count anyway as an indication of whether a skater had been released or not. We've seen many times that you can still do domestic competitions for your new Fed even if you haven't yet been released by your old Fed.

Still annoyed with the way so many of our Dancers switch to Canada after they start training over there. We don't exactly have a lot of male Ice Dancers coming through, so we can't afford to lose them. Especially not when they as good as Billy!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We finish our trip to the 1980's, and Day 5 as a whole, with the Senior Dancers. 8 partnerships are arranged into two groups of 4 partnerships.

Livestream for Senior Short Dance is now on air.

Here is the link for the livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saOmcH8_CKk

Here is the Time Schedule:
https://onlinesonuclar.buzpateni.or...----------QUAL000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

And here is the live scoring:
https://onlinesonuclar.buzpateni.org.tr/Sezon/2024/222801ephesus/SEG005.htm

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank goodnes Sofía is wearing a white blouse. Makes them easy to spot.

Ooooh. They nearly had a collision with another partnership early on in the Warm-Up.

And they had to pull out of another element when they spotted another partnership coming towards them doing twizzles.

What they did get done looked good. But, I'm sure they would have liked to get more done.

For some reason the ice was very congested during this Warm-Up. And that was despite there being 4 partnerships on the ice, rather than the 5 partnerships that we had for the Junior Warm-Ups.

CaoLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
"What A Feeling", and then a reprise of the Javi music from earlier! :laugh:

I thought Lou blew a kiss to Viktoriia when they were coming off, but when I would back I found that she was actually pointing at the gate telling Noe that he was going the wrong way! :laugh:

Bit of a difference, eh?

It's taking a very long time for the scores to come through.

Into the lead (obviously, since they were the first to skate!)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now time for my kids.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST SOFÍA AND ASAF!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Asaf had a bit of a stumble at the end of the Twizzles.

Did a lift get aborted, or was it part of the choreography? It was hard to tell because the camera was behind them, so we couldn't see Sofía. All we could see was Asaf's back.

Everything else looked flawless.

The audience really enjoyed it. They were really getting into it. And Sofía gave them a special thanks at the end.

Ooooh. Can't hear what they are saying (and, depending on what language they are speaking, I probably wouldn't understand anyway), but it looks like Sofía is telling Asaf off.

Kirill wisely staying out of it! :laugh:

They go into a 5 point lead. And the audence are cheering the score.

:cheer: WELL DONE SOFÍA AND ASAF!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It appears that we do have withdrawals after all.

The last two partnerships are both missing.

So, we finally have the reason why the action started half an hour late.

Still don't understand why we couldn't have started the day on time and then finished earlier than now.

CaroLiza_fan

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
If both ID couples have the TES minimums, the results of Bavarian Open and the Challenge Cup will determine them....

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Ah, right. I thought Katarina and Billy had done some domestic competitions, but sure they wouldn't count anyway as an indication of whether a skater had been released or not. We've seen many times that you can still do domestic competitions for your new Fed even if you haven't yet been released by your old Fed.

Still annoyed with the way so many of our Dancers switch to Canada after they start training over there. We don't exactly have a lot of male Ice Dancers coming through, so we can't afford to lose them. Especially not when they as good as Billy!

CaroLiza_fan
If you want to be a competitive figure skater it's much easier to do it in Canada from a practical point of view. More of a culture geared toward skating- lots more facilities, more high level coaches, skaters more able to support themselves with skating related jobs, better funding, etc.

It would be great if skaters could get more funding in the UK, but in this current political and financial climate, after years of austerity-unlikely (and not morally justifiable in my opinion). And even with more funding the general conditions/culture will not change in a hurry.
Peter Beaumont's talent would be squandered here and he's entirely justified in seeking opportunities elsewhere. Good on him for being so successful.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
If you want to be a competitive figure skater it's much easier to do it in Canada from a practical point of view. More of a culture geared toward skating- lots more facilities, more high level coaches, skaters more able to support themselves with skating related jobs, better funding, etc.

It would be great if skaters could get more funding in the UK, but in this current political and financial climate, after years of austerity-unlikely (and not morally justifiable in my opinion). And even with more funding the general conditions/culture will not change in a hurry.
Peter Beaumont's talent would be squandered here and he's entirely justified in seeking opportunities elsewhere. Good on him for being so successful.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I totally support these skaters going over to Canada to train. After all, the best Ice Dance coaches are based in Canada. But, it is that so many immediately switch to representing Canada that I find difficult.

It's all well and good if the Canadian Fed is going to provide funding. Let's face it, the British Fed doesn't get a lot of funding, and so can't pass it on to the skaters. But, in recent years, the Canadian Fed have been actively not sending their skaters to many international competitions. So, unless you and your partner become one of Canada's top partnerships, you don't get the opportunities your talent deserves over there either.

When they were in Juniors, Nadiia and Peter were fortunate to be in the position of being Canada's top partnership. But now that they are in Seniors and further down the pecking order, they will find it more difficult. Sure, that is why Carolane and Shane, who were in a better position in the Canadian rankings to where Nadiia and Peter are now, jumped ship to Ireland, a country whose Fed has only a fraction of the money that Canada's Fed does (and less than the British Fed too). Because they realised that they would get better opportunities to compete internationally there.

Admittedly, Nadiia and Peter are a lot younger, and as they get more experienced at Senior level and the older partnerships in front of them retire, they will undoubtedly climb up. Same with Molly and Dmitre. And no doubt the same with Sophia and Billy when they move to Seniors. But that takes a while. In the meantime, they are not getting the opportunities they deserve.

All three of these partnerships would probably have been better off getting more experience representing one of their own countries, and then switching to Canada if they wanted (and if the situation had improved) once they had established themselves. That tactic worked well for Lauriault / LeGac, and Fournier Beaudry / Sørensen. (I realise that with the latter partnership, it was a necessity to switch, so as to be eligible for the Olympics). And this pathway could have worked for these young partnerships too.

That's how I look at it.

Oh boys, but we have got off topic! Talking away in depth about skaters who aren't even at this event! :p

CaroLiza_fan