2024 Worlds: Pairs' thoughts and comments | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2024 Worlds: Pairs' thoughts and comments

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Btw I really liked the FS choreography of two other Canadian pairs (Pereira/Michaud and Laurin/Ethier) but it needs to be skated clean (or almost) to be really enjoyable. Did they skate their FS well in any other event this season? Can you help me with a link if they did?

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Of course, I am thrilled for S/D. They absolutely deserved it. I was so impressed by how much they improved the speed of their skating and elements this year. (night and day on their throws which were actually quite small last year) I love their SP. I don't love their FS but, overall, their win was correct and thrilling!

M/K did so well considering their season. They are the "best" skaters with the most potential IMHO because of both their pair elements and SS. But, I really hope they get better choreo next year. I can forgive them this year because of the injury but their choreo was very lackluster last year, too. They are magnetic on the ice. They need magnetic choreo.

Hase/Volodin did very well. She's an incredible pair skater. Their elements are very good. I feel nothing when this team skates. However, they showed up when it counts.

Sad for Conti/Macci. I think they are far more interesting skaters than the pairs who finished 3/4th. I wonder if they will be able to get it together next year. Italy has three really wonderful pairs. I am sad they didn't get three spots for next year.

I absolutely adore Hocke/Kunkel. She is such a great performer and they have some incredible pair elements. Their throws are bigger than everyone elses. I love their SP choreo and program choice but the judges don't. Their freeskate choreo is pretty blah but I still love the way they sell it.

I have a strong preference for the third Canadian team L/E over P/M. I just enjoy their style. However, they were sadly very messy in the freeskate. I do think they will continue to improve next year.

In terms of American pairs, honestly the field was pretty much emptied of the top teams after the last Olympics. Alexa and Brandon stayed around one more year but everyone else in top 5 (with the exception of Chan/ Howe) retired. When Alexa/Brandon left, the hole that was already there become more obvious.

Personally, while I enjoy both P/F and K/O (especially P/F they are such good pair skaters with wonderful pair elements ...just don't bring up the jumps) I don't think they are going to be at worlds next year. C/H do have the potential to be in the top group again next year. They just looked like a top pair in the early season not the end of the season. So, with time to practice, I think they can still be in the mix ( especially since Chan can actually land her triples now which she couldn't do last year) and Howe is a wonderful performer which is so rare in pairs men. As for who I think will take the second spot, I personally think Efinova/ Mitrofanov, Liu/Nagy, Martins/ Bedard, and McBeath/Parkman all have higher potential than the teams here at Worlds. The US is actually building some strong pairs. The pairs are just very new for the most part. It's not the end of the world. I think two or three strong pairs will emerge by next Olympics. Lots of good junior pairs in the US, too. Everything is fine.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm thrilled for what Deanna has achieved. But this wouldn't even be a top 5 placing performance at a typical World championships. Even discounting Russia being out, the level of competition is at one of its lowest points ever.

I'm looking towards Hase/Volodin as the next World Champions. They were the strongest pair here and without that fluke fall on the salchow, they clearly should have won this event. The 11 point gap between 1st and 3rd is not the correct result.

The new rule of +2A+2A sequences being the most valuable thing to do is gross and needs to be changed.

slider11

Medalist
You may as well ask, how would this event have suffered if Peng/Wang weren't there? Or Laurin/Ethier? Or Danilova/Tsiba? Their final placements were 16th, 15th, and 14th. And the US pairs, lest we forget, came in 11th, 12th, and 13th.

My answer to your questions and mine are the same: This event would have suffered ... A lot ... without those 6 teams. Cheng Peng has charmed me since her early days with Yang Jin. She and her new partner, Lei Wang, are working out challenges that come with a fairly new partnership. You might compare them with Kam/O'Shea. K/O have been skating together longer, but Peng and Wang each have many, many years of pairs skating under their belts. Wang skated pairs since 2007-8; Peng since 2012-13.

The team from Netherlands, Danilova/Tsiba, gave one of the most rousing performances of the FS. Skating clean and beautifully, performing better than some may have expected.

As for Laurin/Ethier, they are simply adorable and very accomplished. This is their first Worlds. Do you question why Canada needed to send 3 pairs, just because L/E came in 15th?

Figure skating isn't just about the numbers; it isn't just about the elements, or the wins/placements. In my humble opinion.

Emily and Spencer were 5th at 2023 World championships. Fifth!! I'm not going to disregard them. Even more importantly to me, they have gorgeous performance ability, having as their priority expression, connecting with their music and with the audiences, showing their love for skating. Many fans value those qualities. I want to keep seeing them skate, and let them shine at Worlds.

Ellie and Danny have great lifts, great programs, and the ability to shine through them. Plus, their throws are progressing. And Ellie's landing of the SBS jumps improved significantly this year, lest we forget. They have great potential.

Valentina and Maximilian earned their spot at this worlds, fair and square. At times, Valentina reminds me of Katia Gordeeva, in that she looks ethereal, like she can see heaven from those heights that Max gets her to. Max is a great lifter and you can see he loves skating.

All 3 pairs, but especially Emily & Spencer, showed such valiance. And if you look at a figure skating competition through the lens of what special qualities each pair expresses and possesses -- not just the Americans, but all the skaters -- there's so much to enjoy about them all.

Rant over. Apologize if my strong feelings caused offense; you can see I'm passionate about this. ❤️
Very insightful comments! I'm on board!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In terms of American pairs, honestly the field was pretty much emptied of the top teams after the last Olympics. Alexa and Brandon stayed around one more year but everyone else in top 5 (with the exception of Chan/ Howe) retired. When Alexa/Brandon left, the hole that was already there become more obvious.

Exactly. Ashley/Timothy, Jessica/Brian, Audrey/Misha.
C/H do have the potential to be in the top group again next year. They just looked like a top pair in the early season not the end of the season. So, with time to practice, I think they can still be in the mix ( especially since Chan can actually land her triples now which she couldn't do last year) and Howe is a wonderful performer which is so rare in pairs men.

Well said. I totally agree!

As for who I think will take the second spot, I personally think Efinova/ Mitrofanov, Liu/Nagy, Martins/ Bedard, and McBeath/Parkman all have higher potential than the teams here at Worlds. The US is actually building some strong pairs. The pairs are just very new for the most part. It's not the end of the world. I think two or three strong pairs will emerge by next Olympics. Lots of good junior pairs in the US, too. Everything is fine.

And if it wasn't for the fact that Olivia Flores' birthday comes a bit to late to allow her to compete internationally in the 24-25 season, we'd have her and Luke Wang to add to your list, all of whom I agree with (except that I think Chan/Howe top the list for the reasons you mentioned). Even so, it might be interesting if F/W choose to compete as seniors at 2025 nationals.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@skylark I appreciate your passion.

thank you. :)
I just want more. I've wanted more for a long time.

More competitive results. I can understand that
I don't judge the character of these skaters - that's impossible for me since I don't know them.
I don't judge their characters either, but what I see on the ice. Even when I said I was "charmed" by Cheng Peng, I was only talking about what she shows with her skating.
This wasn't pretty for US pairs, and there's really no way to dress that up.

I just don't see it that way, but I'll agree to disagree. Like there are several subtle changes in the pairs discipline overall, internationally, and in the judging system, as well as in US skating, that I think could have been influenced by Ashley and Timothy's skating ... as well as other skaters. So that isn't a result measured by number of medals won. But it's still there. JMO

But, hey, I'm sure it will all be better next year.
Like you, I'm optimistic and looking forward to it. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no idea how the USFED deals with their skaters. There are Pairs "made" in Canada. Strongly suggested by coaches etc.. it's not just based on Hi ? What's your name? Wanna do pairs ? :)
The same goes for here, I think @moonvine may have been saying USFS doesn't often step in try to manage.

Coaches do influence and recommend. The most recent one I read about was Olivia Flores and Luke Wang. Their coach, Drew Meekins, suggested that they try out more than once, but neither of them had even thought of doing pairs. They finally agreed and became a team in June 2022. Just last month, they won the silver medal at Junior World Championships. And they're special together. https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...roster/-nbsp--olivia-flores-and-luke-wang/858
here's their FS at Jr. Worlds you might enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654C2SpVu-I

Another two examples: In 2016, a US official named Mitch (? last name) suggested that Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc try out together. They clicked, and the rest is history!

In the same few months in 2016, (this one should be close to your heart :)), the same Mitch saw Deanna Stellato (who at that time intended to try single skating again, if her coach thought she could do it) skating in the rink in Florida. He suggested that coach Jim Peterson and skater Nathan Bartholomay approach Deanna to see if she might consider skating pairs. Deanna found she loved it, and the rest is history!

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
The same goes for here, I think @moonvine may have been saying USFS doesn't often step in try to manage.

Coaches do influence and recommend. The most recent one I read about was Olivia Flores and Luke Wang. Their coach, Drew Meekins, suggested that they try out more than once, but neither of them had even thought of doing pairs. They finally agreed and became a team in June 2022. Just last month, they won the silver medal at Junior World Championships. And they're special together. https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...roster/-nbsp--olivia-flores-and-luke-wang/858
here's their FS at Jr. Worlds you might enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=654C2SpVu-I

Another two examples: In 2016, a US official named Mitch (? last name) suggested that Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc try out together. They clicked, and the rest is history!

In the same few months in 2016, (this one should be close to your heart :)), the same Mitch saw Deanna Stellato (who at that time intended to try single skating again, if her coach thought she could do it) skating in the rink in Florida. He suggested that coach Jim Peterson and skater Nathan Bartholomay approach Deanna to see if she might consider skating pairs. Deanna found she loved it, and the rest is history!
Mitch Moyer. I think he was USFS high performance director at the time. Now it's Justin Dillon.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
And if it wasn't for the fact that Olivia Flores' birthday comes a bit to late to allow her to compete internationally in the 24-25 season, we'd have her and Luke Wang to add to your list, all of whom I agree with (except that I think Chan/Howe top the list for the reasons you mentioned). Even so, it might be interesting if F/W choose to compete as seniors at 2025 nationals.
From their quotes after junior worlds, I do believe their plan is to compete senior domestically and junior internationally next year.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
What do I think about US pairs? In a rebuilding mode. I was thrilled for Deanna and Max and a bit sorry that she couldn't find an American partner. She and Danny O'Shea would have been great, but Deanna and Max rock and will always have my support!

Back to US Pairs. Sorry to say but Ellie and Timmy the US junior champions from 2023 did not have a stellar Senior debut. They didn't attempt any triples and had a botched lift, (luckily no one got hurt.) I also prefer our current junior champions, Flores/Wang who as I noted before landed sbs triple salchows sbs double axel combo and two throw triples. They outskated all of our senior teams at Nationals!

I'll always have a soft spot for Danny O'Shea and I'm not giving up on him and his partner, nor Chan/Howe.. and there are some new pairs in the making. As always,as a US pair fan, you need patience, perseverence and loads of perspective.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm thrilled for what Deanna has achieved. But this wouldn't even be a top 5 placing performance at a typical World championships. Even discounting Russia being out, the level of competition is at one of its lowest points ever.

I'm looking towards Hase/Volodin as the next World Champions. They were the strongest pair here and without that fluke fall on the salchow, they clearly should have won this event. The 11 point gap between 1st and 3rd is not the correct result.

The new rule of +2A+2A sequences being the most valuable thing to do is gross and needs to be changed.

Not sure what (or when) you mean “typical”. They made one obvious error (on a double axel as the third jump in a series). Yes, some elements were iffy (like the SBS salchow lean… but they actually completed them while the Japanese doubled, making the difference).

I think they were overscored in each segment, and 221 was a gift but the result was correct.

Huge achievement for Deanna and Maxime… and no you can’t diminish it by saying Russians weren’t here.

That SP was actually one of the strongest segments at Worlds, with 9 or 10 clean skates.

The FS had issues but what pairs FS doesn’t? This is the last Worlds one the Russians were at:

S/D definitely would have placed top 5 there, whether at home or not. And arguably could have edged out B/K for the bronze - certainly they would have cemented 4th and been comfortably ahead of T/M and P/J.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
This was a great event. Wonderful audience too! I would love to see SD/D competing at the olympics. I am a big fan of their SP and thrilled to see them get a PB for that. Deanna made the news headlines on my mum's phone, before I even watched the event back! (So that is a bonus for me)

I think it's a great podium. Miura/Kihara were impressive, especially their speed. Hase/Volodin have a very elegant look about them and they skate like a very experienced team already.

Delighted for Hocke/Kunkel - after their injury woes and having to give up the GPF they qualified for, I'm pleased they finally achieved the big clean skate to 'Without You'! It is also lovely for German pairs in general.

I'm a little sad for the Italian pairs but I think they can still earn the 3rd spot for Milano at the next worlds.
Btw I really liked the FS choreography of two other Canadian pairs (Pereira/Michaud and Laurin/Ethier) but it needs to be skated clean (or almost) to be really enjoyable. Did they skate their FS well in any other event this season? Can you help me with a link if they did?
Pereira/Michaud skated it best at IdF last year: https://youtu.be/RNH3DlrPOkE?feature=shared

I can't find many videos of Laurin/Éthier, I thought their nationals performance was good but couldn't see a link. Here's one from their summer competition: https://youtu.be/KSVRQcExXKA?feature=shared

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
USFS strategy seems to be undermine age rules by having younger children compete with adults.

While the USFS aim to put 16 year olds in adult comps presumably to improve USFS's chances, Canada just won with a 40 year old.

Well done Canada!
Canada just won with a 40 year old American (and her Canadian partner).

Last edited:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Pereira/Michaud skated it best at IdF last year: https://youtu.be/RNH3DlrPOkE?feature=shared

I can't find many videos of Laurin/Éthier, I thought their nationals performance was good but couldn't see a link. Here's one from their summer competition: https://youtu.be/KSVRQcExXKA?feature=shared
Thank you so much!
It's an interesting material to compare. Even though they skated cleaner earlier in the season, there were also aspects that they improved and did better at Worlds.
I still like both programs very much. I hope they'll keep them for another year :LOL:

rain

Record Breaker
Thank you so much!
It's an interesting material to compare. Even though they skated cleaner earlier in the season, there were also aspects that they improved and did better at Worlds.
I still like both programs very much. I hope they'll keep them for another year :LOL:
Here's the Senior Pairs FS from Canadian nationals, definitely Laurin/Ethier's best of the season: fast forward to 1:41:02.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8rft0j

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting had the Japanese landed the individual 3 salchows they may very well been the world champs. Still they are the faves in my opinion for gold next season because you can see their speed and skating skills. Tough to beat but Deanna and Max earned gold here regardless of being "home" country or not. Max deserves full credit; I know people talk of the 40 year old but it takes two and Max really kept the team together especially with Deanna not feeling well. The comment that this is a weak field well other than the new rule changes for individual sequences we do not see the super C elements throw 3A and quads or super difficult individual jumps (not in sequence) I wonder if for DEanna and Max if they did the 3T 2a 2T or loop if that would garner more points than the 3T1A2A? Great skate by the Germans! The top five teams and the Italians have great potential but yes, if Russia comes back that seriously would affect the podium. A bit surprised the Americans didn't do better. TRennt and Michaud have not had a great year and were beatable. I am somewhat in shock about Italy not earning 3 spots.

Yogi

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I love the Australian pair! They had my favorite free skate next to Deanna/Max.

I also really don't like the 2A and 1A combos. They are so messy except for maybe the Hungarians and H/V.