Audience at Skate America | Golden Skate

Audience at Skate America

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Much ado about nothing. A lot of people didn't applaud at Rostelecom Cup either (as Carol Lane noted after Bobrova/Soloviev's FD with the guy with the crossed arms and mean mug). Not all audiences are the most enthusiastic. Before the rise of Daisuke, Mao, and Hanyu, skating fans noted how boring and subdued and even boring many Japanese audiences were compared to Western audiences. Plus, people at the actual event are saying people are definitely clapping and being loud. There might be a disconnect with the audio on IN and in the stream v. being there in person.

WGloria

Rinkside
I've attended competitions in China (Beijing) where people are talking loudly, nonstop during performances. It's odd, like they are maybe being distracted from their amusement otherwise of talking to each other, instead of honoring the competitors and their efforts. It's worse in some disciplines than others, and is getting better, but still. I've also been to events in Canada where there's a guy waving a huge Canadian flat right opposite the judges and cheerleads a thicket of red and white sweater wearing fans.

Hope the Lake Placid post Thanksgiving crowd can wake up from their turkey stupor and cheer loudly!

Icey

Record Breaker
Maybe, many are greater fans of another sport where clapping is not usual, like football-----so they don't clap here either. lol

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've attended competitions in China (Beijing) where people are talking loudly, nonstop during performances. It's odd, like they are maybe being distracted from their amusement otherwise of talking to each other, instead of honoring the competitors and their efforts. It's worse in some disciplines than others, and is getting better, but still.

Just came back from CoC a couple of weeks ago and it's was so bad. Walking up and down the aisle during the performances some just standing there blocking people's view and yes the talking. P/C sat near me and people began to crowd around them. This one lady chewed them out because they were blocking her view of the Canadian pairs.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year at Worlds, a man across the aisle from me sat with his arms folded across his chest the entire time except for when people from his country skated. Um, ok!

Artemisa

Final Flight
The audience in France they clap to other countries ... very good public ... they should clap to all atheles if they deserve not only to americans ... it's call being a good public ...
Canadian public wasn't very enthusiastic either

P.S: I'm not france or canadian or american

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the arena I saw applause for all skaters, so I'm not sure where this came from. Of course, it was loudest for the US skaters, which isn't surprising.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Last year at Worlds, a man across the aisle from me sat with his arms folded across his chest the entire time except for when people from his country skated. Um, ok!

Perhaps he was forced to tag along by someone else?

I watched a stream of the Men and people were cheering quite loudly, maybe it is an audio issue?

Barb

Record Breaker
I don't know what people are talking about, I am in the arena too. There are more people than I expected and the cheers and clapping are very loud, honestly more than I wish, lol. The girl next to me scream sooo loud, it is almost annoying. She was so excited with Yu/Zhang. They are very cheering to all the skaters and obviously a little more with american skaters.

shyne

Final Flight
During OP, yes. People are rather quiet.
During the actual event, no, lots of clapping.

Carshalton

Rinkside
In the arena I saw applause for all skaters, so I'm not sure where this came from. Of course, it was loudest for the US skaters, which isn't surprising.

Exactly. I was at Skate Canada and couldn't understand the bitter complaints about the crowd, which was smaller yet enthusiastic. Now I'm here at Skate America and reading the same complaints. My section is very loud. Yes, more so for the Americans as is natural. Hopefully the arena will be filled to capacity today and the applause will register better on tv.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Exact same experience for me at SC. Glad you wrote that. Now I know I'm not crazy! :biggrin:

Eclair

Medalist
I thought on my stream the audience was nice and supportive of everyone? For more 'known' skaters more than for 'unknown' ones, but they were clapping very hard for Duhamel/Radford, Savchenko/Massot and Yu/zhang, just as loud as for Knierim/Knierm.
Also loud cheers for the men skaters if they skated well or emoted well ...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Much ado about nothing. A lot of people didn't applaud at Rostelecom Cup either (as Carol Lane noted after Bobrova/Soloviev's FD with the guy with the crossed arms and mean mug). Not all audiences are the most enthusiastic. Before the rise of Daisuke, Mao, and Hanyu, skating fans noted how boring and subdued and even boring many Japanese audiences were compared to Western audiences. Plus, people at the actual event are saying people are definitely clapping and being loud. There might be a disconnect with the audio on IN and in the stream v. being there in person.

Rostelecom Cup this season was NHK 2 considering the japanese bought almost all the tickets and they were clapping only for japanese skaters.

What is going on?!?

It's not a scandal but it is a good reminders for the americans who were complaining about that at other competitions including the last Olympics.

Audience can be bad everywhere, even in US and Canada.

Eclair

Medalist
Rostelecom Cup this season was NHK 2 considering the japanese bought almost all the tickets and they were clapping only for japanese skaters
that's not true and everyone knows that the Japanese crowd is one of the warmest and fairest crowds - along with the Spanish GFP crowd :love:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
that's not true and everyone knows that the Japanese crowd is one of the warmest and fairest crowds - along with the Spanish GFP crowd :love:

Yes i know, at NHK they are always THE best, but at the Rostelecom Cup they were clapping/standing ovation only for Yuzuru, and the japanese girls, the rest was like "meh, i don't care".

So as i wrote on the other posts, audience can be bad everywhere, including US and Japan.

PS: Carol Lane was referring to one single person who looked tired, pretending that was the entire audience.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Rostelecom Cup this season was NHK 2 considering the japanese bought almost all the tickets and they were clapping only for japanese skaters.

It's not a scandal but it is a good reminders for the americans who were complaining about that at other competitions including the last Olympics.

Audience can be bad everywhere, even in US and Canada.

Last Olympics? You mean where half the audience walked out after their country's competitors finished? Or withdrew from competing altogether?

Don't even go there.

humbaba

Final Flight
What is going on?!?

I don't know what people are talking about, I am in the arena too. There are more people than I expected and the cheers and clapping are very loud, honestly more than I wish, lol. The girl next to me scream sooo loud, it is almost annoying. She was so excited with Yu/Zhang. They are very cheering to all the skaters and obviously a little more with american skaters.

Thanks to the posters who were in the arena and can give us first hand accounts.

To the OP and others who are making blanket condemnations of the SA crowd: could you please tell us if you are there, in the arena. If you are making these judgments based on watching a stream or broadcast, you have much less credibility to me. If you're sitting at home watching on your tv, computer, etc. then the outlet providing the coverage decides what you see and hear. It may or may not accurately reflect what's happening in the venue.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

LOL! After Daisuke and Mao? You forgot about Plushenko and even Yagudin, too...the audience went crazy for them not once.. watch the old videos, please