Audience at Skate America | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Audience at Skate America

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How can it be manufactured when we keep hearing the announcer begging the audience to cheer?

Ross's comments sound like typical canned PC stuff. What's he going to say? The audience sucks? Obviously they support him as an American anyway...

See the response above of GrangerDanger for the answer to your question. It's absurd, and very wrong, to bad-mouth thousands of people in an audience because of one rather idiotic announcer, who should keep her day job.

Ross's comments sounded heartfelt, candid, and very much like Ross talks, in clips I've heard from him before. If he compares an audience with his beloved Boston, that's high praise.

The whole Skate America experience is perplexing to me. .... So, all in all, I guess mixed reviews for the event but let's hope things continue to ramp and skaters get the love they deserve!

Mixed reviews from whom? You, at home watching tv? The skaters got the love they deserve. I was there. And the skaters testified to it.

Talk about *the* most made-up thread.... evah...

IF you are AT the event then you know what the audience is like.

IF you are NOT at the event, then you don't. End of story.

Whether it fits a preconceived narrative of "American audiences are so parochial, so bad, they don't even cheer all the skaters, they don't cheer Japanese/Canadian/Russian/Martian skaters, and I am so worldly and wonderful I cheer all skaters whether they are from Mars or not".

Oh please, ain't no one got time for that.....:bed:

:agree: Whole post.

Barb

Record Breaker
I was in 4cc 2012, SA 2013, Trophe of France 2016 and GPF Marsella 2016, and SA 2017, and I have to say that Lake Placid is BY FAR the best event, the organization was spectacular, the punctuality was with chronometer, the hotels are cheap and at walking distance, they got sell almost all the seats, I bought the tickets by phone without problem and they gave them to me in the arena. When I arrived to the town I regreted to come here because of the cold weather but after the event I would not doubt to coming back, it was perfect. I seriously think that the organizers of the events in France should get a course with the organizers of Lake Placid.

I already said that the audience was amazing. Did you saw standing ovation for Y/Z? They are not american and people loved them, same Han Yan, just for name a few.

And the arena was cold and I saw some people clapping with gloves on. My hands were freezing but I took off my gloves :(

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
See the response above of GrangerDanger for the answer to your question. It's absurd, and very wrong, to bad-mouth thousands of people in an audience because of one rather idiotic announcer, who should keep her day job.

Ross's comments sounded heartfelt, candid, and very much like Ross talks, in clips I've heard from him before. If he compares an audience with his beloved Boston, that's high praise.

Mixed reviews from whom? You, at home watching tv? The skaters got the love they deserve. I was there. And the skaters testified to it.

:agree: Whole post.

Everything you've said I'm in agreement with! I was there and the skaters definitely got their love, the announcer needs to not quit her day job.

I've been to many events as a skater and spectator and the crowd was very appreciative of the skaters and gave them love.

WestVirginia130

Rinkside
I think some people are getting a little too heated in this thread :eek::

I don't think it's extraordinarily unusual for American announcers to encourage audience interaction a bit, even if it is a little out of place at a fs event. There are natural lulls in long events like these, especially since hosts usually have higher percentages of ticket holders who have shown up mainly, or even in some cases exclusively to see "home-team" athletes, and 99.999% of the time there is some amount of noticeable difference in the reaction of the crowds for them. There are also plenty of instances where lulls occur because people step out to take short breaks--usually during the less well-known skaters' programs--programs were simply less 'exciting', they occur just after a break, etc. etc. I think the announcer lady was just taking her role a bit too seriously and trying to rile up home-team reactions for the other performers (I actually thought it was even a little cute after Kaori's performance, she sounded very impressed!)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
There did not appear to be any screamers this year, annoying everyone in the arena and the countless thousands of TV viewers?

(I mean the attention-seeking sort that waits until an inappropriate moment, when nobody else is cheering, before letting rip).

That's a win in my book!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I actually not a very loud person & can enjoy a performance not shouting & cheering at the top of my lungs
never really pay much attention to the crowd:think::slink:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I already said that the audience was amazing. Did you saw standing ovation for Y/Z? They are not american and people loved them, same Han Yan, just for name a few.

And the arena was cold and I saw some people clapping with gloves on. My hands were (

Chapis, thank you for taking the time to give comments and mini reports during the practices and competitions. It takes discipline to do that! Those of us who couldn't be there really appreciate it! Glad you enjoyed yourself. Sounds like it was a well-organized event.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There did not appear to be any screamers this year, annoying everyone in the arena and the countless thousands of TV viewers?

(I mean the attention-seeking sort that waits until an inappropriate moment, when nobody else is cheering, before letting rip).

That's a win in my book!

Agreed! I was sitting near that screamer, and it was pretty awful!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about the arena announcer? She said some kinda strange things from what I heard 🧐

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What about the arena announcer? She said some kinda strange things from what I heard 🧐

What did you hear that was strange, so that the folks who were actually at the comp and heard it in person can give you their reactions?

Although since this made-up thread was originally about a misreading of the audience based on watching videos and a preconceived notion about American audiences, maybe the question should be its own thread?

And how in the world do you get the emojis that large?:biggrin:

shyne

Final Flight
I was in 4cc 2012, SA 2013, Trophe of France 2016 and GPF Marsella 2016, and SA 2017, and I have to say that Lake Placid is BY FAR the best event, the organization was spectacular, the punctuality was with chronometer, the hotels are cheap and at walking distance, they got sell almost all the seats, I bought the tickets by phone without problem and they gave them to me in the arena. When I arrived to the town I regreted to come here because of the cold weather but after the event I would not doubt to coming back, it was perfect. I seriously think that the organizers of the events in France should get a course with the organizers of Lake Placid.

And the arena was cold and I saw some people clapping with gloves on. My hands were freezing but I took off my gloves :(

My only complaint is it's tough to get to Lake Placid. I drove for nearly 6hr, and the last 2hr was like riding a rollercoaster. And driving back in the snow was a nightmare.
But the town itself was lovely, with many shops and eatery. Everything is within walking distance for sure. And the locals were so friendly and knowledgeable about figure skating. Skate America was a huge thing there. Some shops even extended their hrs so the speculators could visit after the Fri and Sat events.
As for the audience reaction, they were great.
People were somewhat quiet during open practice and 6min warmup. But during the actual competition, all skaters received tons of support from the audience.
Not that many standing ovations, sure, but I'm ok with giving standing ovations only to a exceptionally performance.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The announcer also said Savchenko repersented Russia and the American pair received 100+ points for SP, just to name a few.
:

Thank you for sharing your experience with the “great” audience reaction, always good to hear from people at the rink:agree:

If we are just talking about announcer mistakes, rather than it being some representation of those mythical no good, horrible, never appreciate the skaters from Canada/Japan/Russia or Mars parochial American audiences, yes there were quite a few. I feel bad piling on, so I won’t, but they exist ;) If you look in the PBP threads, people were going wild when they heard them.

But I did love Deanna Stellato’s reaction when she heard about their 150 point SP. As a fan of Stellato/Bartholomay, would that it had been so! :biggrin:

Carolla5501

On the Ice
My only complaint is it's tough to get to Lake Placid. I drove for nearly 6hr, and the last 2hr was like riding a rollercoaster. And driving back in the snow was a nightmare.
But the town itself was lovely, with many shops and eatery. Everything is within walking distance for sure. And the locals were so friendly and knowledgeable about figure skating. Skate America was a huge thing there. Some shops even extended their hrs so the speculators could visit after the Fri and Sat events.
As for the audience reaction, they were great.
People were somewhat quiet during open practice and 6min warmup. But during the actual competition, all skaters received tons of support from the audience.
Not that many standing ovations, sure, but I'm ok with giving standing ovations only to a exceptionally performance.

When the majority of skaters are doing their imitation of a human Zamboni it's not really appropriate to have a lot of standing ovations. I thought the audience reaction was fine considering the quality of the product!