Audience at Skate America | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Audience at Skate America

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
LOL! After Daisuke and Mao? You forgot about Plushenko and even Yagudin, too...the audience went crazy for them not once..

Only on this effing forum where people will take things as an offense to their faves even when their faves weren’t even mentioned. Just like the OP and other posters who aren’t even at Skate America but decided to use it to attack American crowds obviously as a way to get back for posters making past (and probably similarly ridiculous) complaints about crowds elsewhere. This forum is just full of resentment and ancient rivalries boiling inside of people. This is where fun in figure skating dies.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
US audiences are hit and miss. I went to SA in Milwaukee and the audience was very chilly to the non-US skaters. Last year it was much better (although there were some horrible screamers in the audience who were supremely annoying - mostly during Ashley & Adam). But there was a huge Japanese contingent last year so I think that helped. Some audiences are just better than others and I see nothing wrong with acknowledging that. Someone always has to bring up Sochi and "what about the Russians!!!" but please...that was NOT a normal FS crowd. At Rostelecom it always seems like a great atmosphere & the audience appreciates everyone.

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^Exact same experience for me at SC. Glad you wrote that. Now I know I'm not crazy! :biggrin:

I think this is much ado about nothing. I have been in audiences in Russia, US, Canada, and Japan. I think people react to what they see. When I went Skate Canada in 2010, the audience screamed for EVERY skater who had a good performance. Do guys remember Agnes Zawadsky? She got a screaming standing ovation for her SP and most of the audience, including myself, had no idea who she was. There was loud applause for Canadians but, it was because they skated so well, especially Cynthia Phanuef, Kevin Reynolds, and Patrick Chan. From what I remember, the loudest response of the event was for Alissa Czisny who had a spectacular LP.

You certainly can't be upset when a hometown crowd supports the locals. The audience at worlds in 2001 is the loudest audience I have ever been in. We screamed and stood up for several skaters in the final flights. I think every Lady in the final flight of 2001 got at least partial standing ovations. I think Michelle's LP was second only to Sale' and Pelletier in crowd response. But, the crowd also stood for Irina Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, and Maria Butyrskaya. It was a great event. The audience at Worlds in 1999 was also very appreciative. There were no Finish skaters in the final flights of ANY event yet, the stands were filled and the audience was very friendly to all the skaters.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Only on this effing forum where people will take things as an offense to their faves even when their faves weren’t even mentioned. Just like the OP and other posters who aren’t even at Skate America but decided to use it to attack American crowds obviously as a way to get back for posters making past (and probably similarly ridiculous) complaints about crowds elsewhere. This forum is just full of resentment and ancient rivalries boiling inside of people. This is where fun in figure skating dies.

oh, no this is not true.. as your first post ;)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think this is much ado about nothing. I have been in audiences in Russia, US, Canada, and Japan. I think people react to what they see. When I went Skate Canada in 2010, the audience screamed for EVERY skater who had a good performance. Do guys remember Agnes Zawadsky? She got a screaming standing ovation for her SP and most of the audience, including myself, had no idea who she was. The loudest applause was for Canadians but, it was because they skated so well, especially Cynthia Phanuef, Kevin Reynolds, and Patrick Chan.

You certainly can't be upset when a hometown crowd supports the locals. The audience at worlds in 2001 is the loudest audience I have ever been in. We screamed and stood up for several skaters in the final flights. I think every Lady in the final flight of 2001 got at least partial standing ovations. I think Michelle's LP was second only to Sale' and Pelletier in crowd response. But, the crowd also stood for Irina Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, and Maria Butyrskaya. It was a great event. The audience at Worlds in 1999 was also very appreciative. There were no Finish skaters in the final flights of ANY event yet, the stands were filled and the audience was very friendly to all the skaters.

I totally remember that SP of Agnes, still re-watched regularly - one cannot predict sometimes to what she/he will react the strongest way or the loudest way, watching live. My take is that if there's a good competition, lots of performances to appreciate, varying between themselves in music, choreography, uniqueness or having a skater's 'signature' in them, peple will cheer. I totally do not get this picking out people not cheering loudly enough for all/particular skaters just because of where the event is and because of nationalities...I can only imagine myself, if I go to Milan Worlds that I'll shout my lungs out and clap my hands out for any skater that moves me, either with struggle or exquisiteness of performance (and I'm already gathering flags lol)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
^^^Exact same experience for me at SC. Glad you wrote that. Now I know I'm not crazy! :biggrin:

well, I was not in person, but crowd in Regina seemed very 'into' skaters and performances, I enjoyed it very much, especially during Ice Dance events

hb2010

Rinkside
Rostelecom Cup this season was NHK 2 considering the japanese bought almost all the tickets and they were clapping only for japanese skaters.

Really? I saw a photo of a large group of Chinese Yuzu fans who went to Rostelecom Cup.
Also, Japanese fans seldom throw Poohs to the rink :scratch2:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I don't know what people are talking about, I am in the arena too. There are more people than I expected and the cheers and clapping are very loud, honestly more than I wish, lol. The girl next to me scream sooo loud, it is almost annoying. She was so excited with Yu/Zhang. They are very cheering to all the skaters and obviously a little more with american skaters.

hi chapis:), did not know about Your SA plans, but happy for You, wishing great experience, please cheer loudly for Maia and Alex on my behalf, one crazy Polish fan :laugh::cheer:

moriel

Record Breaker
During men, the audience was fine.

During pairs though... And its not like pairs bombed.
At least thats how it looked on video.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Last Olympics? You mean where half the audience walked out after their country's competitors finished? Or withdrew from competing altogether?

Don't even go there.

Obviously it wasn't as bad there but we have seen some examples of bad audience this season: another one is the audience that at first didn't bother of Pogorilaya visibly looking in pain on the ice at Skate Canada.

I don't understand the point of classifying which is the worst audience: again, you can find a bad, disrespectful audience everywhere. The fact that they are cheering for the skaters you like doesn't make the audience more respectful if they start to not bother other skaters.

Having said it i don't think this audience at SA is particularly bad, there are some fair complaints though: at Worlds 2016 Tarasova was rightfully disappointed that the audience was screaming for Adam Rippon triple jumps, but then none of that happened for Boyang Jin's 4ltz which was the best example athleticism that figure skating could have offered.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Sometimes there are outside "factors" that have an affect on how an audience behaves. Bad weather, traffic, long lines, or even bad concessions have played havoc with my enjoyment of more than 1 event. The traffic in Oakland Ca. was HORRIBLE in 1991 and it took us hours to get there from Clovis, Ca. We all had to pee and we were tense for the first flight of skaters that we saw. People need to remember that these tickets are expensive and for Non-Locals, they may have flown halfway around the world to get to these events. When you add a hotel and ground transportation costs to it, people are making a big sacrifice to attend these events.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
More scandalous is the state of the kiss and cry.. it's a flowered bench that if anyone manspreads in everyone else is falling off of. :shame:

I guess it at least doesn't have the ad stream behind it like in last week's dental office waiting room in France.

- - - Updated - - -

Sometimes there are outside "factors" that have an affect to how an audience behaves. Bad weather, traffic, long lines, or even bad concessions have played havoc with my enjoyment of more than 1 event in my day.

Apparently there is a Golden Skate cocktail at the arena. Maybe if everyone had one or 5 of those they'd be more cheerful.

mrrice

Record Breaker
More scandalous is the state of the kiss and cry.. it's a flowered bench that if anyone manspreads in everyone else is falling off of. :shame:

I guess it at least doesn't have the ad stream behind it like in last week's dental office waiting room in France.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently there is a Golden Skate cocktail at the arena. Maybe if everyone had one or 5 of those they'd be more cheerful.

Okay..............:agree:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
They just don't make skatefans like they used to! I would give Cissy Crick a standing ovation when her name was announced with a very loud and enthusiastic WOOOOO! GO CISSY!!! And Taffy, too!

Plisskin

Medalist
I’ll take the word of people who are actually in the arena, than those watching bootleg streams on whether the audience is bad. Interesting how the posts of those there are still getting glossed over. No thread like this was opened at other GP’s and audience reactions wasn’t picked up by the tv/ stream. But we all know why there wasn’t.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched on the Olympic Channel (as opposed to IceNetwork) and I thought audience reaction was quite good. The Canadian skaters received good applause (there is usually a sizable Canadian contingent at Lake Placid events), and the crowd really went wild for Han Yan.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Did the announcer just say, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I can't hear you?" After MT/M, like, are they reading GS?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did the announcer just say, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I can't hear you?" After MT/M, like, are they reading GS?

She said she would do that at the practice session because she was the announcer there as well. She was asking us during practices to clap louder and it's a total WTH we are all clapping loud :sarcasm: I don't know how loud she wants us to go the crowd is one of the best I've seen.