Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Chan voices his opinion in quad quarrel

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
While I tend to agree with you about 98% of the time, I don't think the press is egging Patrick on. He knows what he's saying, and he should be prepared for the inevitable criticism.

Exactly...the idea that "the press" has it out for Patrick and nobody else is just laughable. All high-level skaters give interviews...some of them might occasionally say something a little controversial, but 99% of them typically manage to be respectful of their fellow athletes. I really, really doubt the journalists are feeding Patrick "gotcha questions" that nobody else gets asked, and that they've been conspiring to do it to him for years. Even if he himself believed that, he could choose his words more carefully or just not respond to them at all. The last thing Patrick needs is a pity party. Maybe a little less flattering of his ego would help bring him down to earth.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
:palmf: If only Patrick's comments and attitude were as elegant and classy as his skating...

I was just thinking, was Patrick's frustration resulting in him making these unsavory comments to the media caused by his failure to add the second 3A in FS.

His jumps at Nationals FS

4T3T - beautiful
3A - hangs on
4T - Nice
StSq - Nice spread eagle variation
2A2T - doubled planned triple
3F2T2T - good
Spin -
2F - hangs on (planned triple)

Wait a minute. He got 192 points with all these mistakes? Oh dear.

wookchub

On the Ice
Exactly...the idea that "the press" has it out for Patrick and nobody else is just laughable. All high-level skaters give interviews...some of them might occasionally say something a little controversial, but 99% of them typically manage to be respectful of their fellow athletes. I really, really doubt the journalists are feeding Patrick "gotcha questions" that nobody else gets asked, and that they've been conspiring to do it to him for years. Even if he himself believed that, he could choose his words more carefully or just not respond to them at all. The last thing Patrick needs is a pity party. Maybe a little less flattering of his ego would help bring him down to earth.

The thing that kind of irked me is that when saying these things, particularly when naming Yuzuru, it's not like they have any way to respond. People have said it's like in any sport, Patrick is doing that kinda tough talk to spark a bit of buzz, but doesn't the other guy usually get a chance to say something back? Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy if Yuzuru and Javi never even hear about dumb comments like this, but for skaters as respectful as those two it just niggles at me that Patrick would be so petty to be honest.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Speaking of which, I wonder what Brian thinks about him continuously trashing his students? Patrick is great skater and seems like a nice guy but the comments he makes over and over and over again are not because of "gotcha" questions from the press. He needs to be nice to the other players. Yuzu would never say anything like what Patrick has said now and in the past.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
what I find funny here is that many people have complained that when D/R do quad throws, there is so much lost in artistry as they have to set up for it so much or even with their SBS lutzes, that the higher technical elements reduces the artistry in the sport, etc...

... yet, when Chan says the same exact thing as they say for D/R, people say that it's not fair... or rude... so when Trankov say it, it's okay, when Chan does, it is not... and this goes for some of the users here in this thread (you know who you are) ... :slink:

there is a very nice expression for this behaviour shown by many here : double standards.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
what I find funny here is that many people have complained that when D/R do quad throws, there is so much lost in artistry as they have to set up for it so much or even with their SBS lutzes, that the higher technical elements reduces the artistry in the sport, etc...

... yet, when Chan says the same exact thing as they say for D/R, people say that it's not fair... or rude... so when Trankov say it, it's okay, when Chan does, it is not... and this goes for some of the users here in this thread (you know who you are) ... :slink:

there is a very nice expression for this behaviour shown by many here : double standards.

Just watched the mens SP at Euros...for pairs, they may be having growing pains where the technique is hampering the artistry...but just this year we have had the NHK SP, GPF SP and LP, and now the Euros SP in which, GASP, both artistry and technique were well represented.

Besides, you are being selective in your representation of the above discussions. People both agree AND disagree with D/R's technical prowess vs. artistry, they also both agree and disagree with Trankov's statements. Because this forum is made up of a LOT of people with a lot of viewpoints.
The discussion is the point of the forum. Just like you think Chan's comments are fine and others think that they are not.
It's only a double standard if you think of the Forum as one person.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i didn't say all... i said some of the users
Just watched the mens SP at Euros...for pairs, they may be having growing pains where the technique is hampering the artistry...but just this year we have had the NHK SP, GPF SP and LP, and now the Euros SP in which, GASP, both artistry and technique were well represented.

Besides, you are being selective in your representation of the above discussions. People both agree AND disagree with D/R's technical prowess vs. artistry, they also both agree and disagree with Trankov's statements. Because this forum is made up of a LOT of people with a lot of viewpoints.
The discussion is the point of the forum. Just like you think Chan's comments are fine and others think that they are not.
It's only a double standard if you think of the Forum as one person.

I don't think it's a double standard. I think people just get so frustrated with Patrick. Every time he speaks, fans like me have to jump in and say, "Oh but he didn't really mean that -- he meant something else." Then we (Chan fans) are the ones that end up looking foolish because -- incredibly -- he really did mean that.

Still, like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, we keep on trying. Here's what Patrick meant: "If you do too many quads and neglect other aspects of skating, that is bad for the sport." The rest -- "like Hanyu and Fernandez" -- he didn't really mean that. :eeking:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
we chan fans as you are saying, don't always agree on what you are saying here :) call me dumb but with all the chanfanning i have done, i have heard him be very respectful of other skaters, quite candid and honest, but not condescending and mean... somehow, with long interviews, televised, he apperas as a very nice and polite guy, but then, on some short press articles with extracted quotes, he is made to look different... so whatever di manno... whatever
I don't think it's a double standard. I think people just get so frustrated with Patrick. Every time he speaks, fans like me have to jump in and say, "Oh but he didn't really mean that -- he meant something else." Then we (Chan fans) are the ones that end up looking foolish because -- incredibly -- he really did mean that.

Still, like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football, we keep on trying. Here's what Patrick meant: "If you do too many quads and neglect other aspects of skating, that is bad for the sport." The rest -- "like Hanyu and Fernandez" -- he didn't really mean that. :eeking:

treeloving

Medalist
we chan fans as you are saying, don't always agree on what you are saying here :) call me dumb but with all the chanfanning i have done, i have heard him be very respectful of other skaters, quite candid and honest, but not condescending and mean... somehow, with long interviews, televised, he apperas as a very nice and polite guy, but then, on some short press articles with extracted quotes, he is made to look different... so whatever di manno... whatever

Yeah enjoying your competitor's injuries is soooo respectful.

wookchub

On the Ice

I think he means exactly what he says, to be honest. That doesn't mean he can't be a nice, polite, pleasant person, but it does mean that in a competitive setting his attitude can be kinda bad and he'll say some rude things. I think we need to take him at his words, because he's 25 years old and surely he'd have learned by now if he was constantly coming off the wrong way. At least you can respect him a little for it if he's just saying what he thinks.

yuki

Final Flight
he never said that... actually, if anything, he said that the quads were hurting his knee and ankle.. this is so trivial

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/24/chan-is-right-where-he-wants-to-be

“It’s like, ‘Go ahead guys. Go for it.’ Yuzu and Javy can fight it out and I’d like to just sit back and stay with my strategy and my plan and we’ll see how those guys will unfold. There’s always injuries that can happen …. They’re going to hit a plateau. They’re going to have to. And maybe Yuzu will add a fourth quad (to his long program), and then after that, that’s it. But with adding that fourth quad, he’s upping the risk factor, the reward-risk factor becomes much larger. So let them keep pushing each other and I’ll just sit back and enjoy the show from afar.”

If this quote is indeed accurate, what he said is absolutely inexcusable. I'm sorry, but it is. This should not be the mindset of someone who wants to be a champion, nor something that should be said publicly, regardless of what he may think about it in private.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
you can read this many other ways, like he is not willing to get himself injured, and he prefers sticking to his plan of upping his level slowly to protect his body... if others want to go for 4 quads, they can, it's risky... but he will sit back, and not entertain that strategy.

this is only one way of reading it... from having watched so many interviews of Patrick, he is not the kind of guy who would say ... oh yeah... they can just get injured and I will then win... come on... this is ridiculous.

Some of you should really think this through. If he were such a jerk, nobody would say how sweet and classy he is... and many of the other skaters say that... Javi is one of his best friends.... do you really think Chan wants Javi to get hurt? As an athlete, you never want to see someone get injured as you know too well it could happen to you too... Patrick had actually just injured himself on a quad a couple weeks before Nationals...

GOSH...

SERIOUSLY!
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/24/chan-is-right-where-he-wants-to-be

If this quote is indeed accurate, what he said is absolutely inexcusable. I'm sorry, but it is. This should not be the mindset of someone who wants to be a champion, nor something that should be said publicly, regardless of what he may think about it in private.

yuki

Final Flight
you can read this many other ways, like he is not willing to get himself injured, and he prefers sticking to his plan of upping his level slowly to protect his body... if others want to go for 4 quads, they can, it's risky... but he will sit back, and not entertain that strategy.

There are many ways in which he could have said that without making it sound like he's waiting for his competitors to get injured, yet he phrased it in that particular way. Why?

Since I don't know him personally, I don't have an opinion on how much of a nice guy he is or isn't. But if he doesn't want to come across as petty and rude, he can always avoid making statements that can be interpreted as such. The fact that after so many years he still doesn't take the time to stop and think about what comes out of his mouth makes me think it's intentional. I suppose some people find that endearing. Maybe it was cute when he was 20, but he's older now and really should know better.