Coronavirus and the new season | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

VenusHalley

Final Flight
They have to make a call on Skate America by 1 August.

I really don't think we'll get GP assignments until then. There's no point. But honestly, we're not getting a GP this year, so it's all irrelevant.

With how stupid are many Americans about the thing and their numbers STILL raising... it's not happening.

Europe is already likely having second wave, it's just some are more likely admit it than others.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not giving up hope, but the current state of news and projected relaxation for international travel into Australia makes me very despondent over 4CC....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not giving up hope, but the current state of news and projected relaxation for international travel into Australia makes me very despondent over 4CC....

Me too. Hope has been fading for a while, but it's really not looking like we can.

Amei

Record Breaker
With how stupid are many Americans about the thing and their numbers STILL raising... it's not happening.

Europe is already likely having second wave, it's just some are more likely admit it than others.

The US is 2-3 weeks out from a ton of protests; Houston, Texas the new "hot-spot" of COVID-19 is 2 weeks out from 60,000+ people at a protest/viewing/funeral; the same leaders that were there are now trying to preach at people on the news that they need to go quarantine in their houses again and when they do leave their houses they have to wear a mask (in South Texas where Houston is located it's regularly in the low 90's for temperature with humidity pretty much identical)...Yeah that's going over really well

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was going to bulk-buy cuddly touristy marsupials to throw on the ice...

Maybe we'll end up with a delayed season and still be able to host? I was going to seek out the lesser-known marsupials...you just know Jason is a Quokka at heart.

The US is 2-3 weeks out from a ton of protests; Houston, Texas the new "hot-spot" of COVID-19 is 2 weeks out from 60,000+ people at a protest/viewing/funeral; the same leaders that were there are now trying to preach at people on the news that they need to go quarantine in their houses again and when they do leave their houses they have to wear a mask (in South Texas where Houston is located it's regularly in the low 90's for temperature with humidity pretty much identical)...Yeah that's going over really well

You do realise it wasn't the protests that caused the spikes, but the people flocking to beaches, into shops, going to church gatherings, etc etc, as the US rushes to open up while the virus runs rampant and requests to wear masks are met with HOW DARE YOU INFRINGE ON MY RIGHTS and protestors armed with guns taking over government buildings...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not see how we can have an international season this year, at least not a full one:sad21:

And protests leading to hot spots? That, I am afraid, is misinformation. My home state of Pennsylvania had a boatload of protests. And our cases have gone way down. Because we are still required to wear masks in public, and because my county just "opened" *today*.

And heat and humidity in Pennsylvania is alive and well. Thank heavens, because it's kind to my curls and that helps with the haircut purdah. Because I kindly ceded first slot at our hair stylist to my spousal unit, and I will wait a week. *That's* true love.

And I've only seen photos of them, but Jason is soooo a quokka:)

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States

It should be noted that the U.S. uptick in cases in southern/western states started not with the outdoor protests (with most wearing masks, due both to the virus & fear of tear gas) but 2 weeks earlier with massive crowds at indoor bars over Memorial Day. If you look at the most recent maps of the states’ status, you will see stable/decreasing cases in many places that had huge sustained protests (including Minneapolis, New York, Illinois, DC) and big spikes in places that were the earliest to widely reopen bars & tourist areas (Florida, Texas, Georgia, Arizona).

Obviously, the large protests (and travel to & from) are ONE factor in the surge. But many, many other factors are in play, including the percentage of people within that state who still wear masks & observe social distancing.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If it does fall through, maybe we can buy and post him one anyway, just as fans. Hey, if I could crochet...

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/763...rch_query=amigurumi+quokka&ref=sr_gallery-1-2

Now I'm trying to decide just who is a drop bear :laugh2:

If your town has a Seniors Center, you may be able to find someone willing to make you one on commission. Our Seniors Center has a gift shop that sells home-made items like this. Try contacting a Seniors Center near you. If they sell similar items, they may even want to add it to their general merchandise line-up.

PS It's awfully cute!

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, I think it’s nearly impossible to hold skate America (or and GP) in the fall.

If the governors of NY, NJ, and CT aren’t even allowing people in from other parts of the country without quarantining, how is anyone in the US going to let athletes from international countries come into the US to compete?

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Maybe we'll end up with a delayed season and still be able to host? I was going to seek out the lesser-known marsupials...you just know Jason is a Quokka at heart.

You do realise it wasn't the protests that caused the spikes, but the people flocking to beaches, into shops, going to church gatherings, etc etc, as the US rushes to open up while the virus runs rampant and requests to wear masks are met with HOW DARE YOU INFRINGE ON MY RIGHTS and protestors armed with guns taking over government buildings...

I don’t think they’ll have a later season, as it would end up being too close to the Olympic season.

As for the US issues... where I live in the US, things have only begun to reopen during the past few weeks (at an extremely slow pace, which is for our safety, of course). People continue to wear masks, social distancing is enforced, and many indoor venues that are not essential are yet to reopen or are reopening with outdoor alternatives. This is good, as the number of new cases per day has fallen dramatically, and there hasn’t been an uptick of case numbers as of yet. Unfortunately, however, the places that are “reckless” and reopening quickly with people going everywhere in the US are the places where the virus was not originally very active. Now, of course, those areas are paying the price.

I’m not really sure if the number of cases has risen again in Vegas, but, being that they were nowhere near the epicenter of the virus for the majority of its time in the US, I would thing everything reopened there a bit too quickly like some of these other places where numbers are rising again. It would also be difficult to have an outdoor skating event in Vegas, as it’s farther south in the US.

Alex D

Record Breaker
The latest big outbreaks in Germany at meat factories did happen, even though masks were used. There the air flow system was blamed, as the "virus air" was in the room for hours and I guess that no mask can protect you for that long in such a condition. The cold environment and close distance to each other, did benefit the spread even more.

They said, a specific air flow system used in hospitals would help, but is that something figure skating venues would have? And how sure can you be, that everyone wearing a mask does it right? In Germany most people wear their masks wrong, like not covering the nose, touching the front with their fingers, re-using the mask for multiple days.
You also can´t deny visitors or athletes their water bottles and while drinking the mask would be off too.

Lot´s of things to think about. :eeking:

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Apparently, EU is now thinking about banning Americans from entering (which after the Florida mask debate is... understandable?)

So that would complicate things too.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was going to bulk-buy cuddly touristy marsupials to throw on the ice...

I have a garage full of stuffies and nowhere to throw them.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently, EU is now thinking about banning Americans from entering (which after the Florida mask debate is... understandable?)

So that would complicate things too.

Everyone is saying it will happen. Should be official 7/1

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, I think it’s nearly impossible to hold skate America (or and GP) in the fall.

If the governors of NY, NJ, and CT aren’t even allowing people in from other parts of the country without quarantining, how is anyone in the US going to let athletes from international countries come into the US to compete?

What athletes would want to come to US and compete when we are one giant disease outbreak?

Fried

Final Flight
If it goes on like this, it will probably result in online competitions. This is already practiced in rhythmic gymnastics.

McBibus

On the Ice
If it goes on like this, it will probably result in online competitions. This is already practiced in rhythmic gymnastics.

despite beying hunger for some skating, it will be farce.
skating on your own rink with just your coach and no competotors/audience in no competition.
It's scored practice