Coronavirus and the new season | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Coronavirus and the new season

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What athletes would want to come to US and compete when we are one giant disease outbreak?

Until they get it down to the level of other countries, what nation is going to open their doors to US athletes? Sorry to be harsh, and it is anything but their fault, but you can't imagine how it looks from outside....

Ophelia

Record Breaker
At this rate, the Winter Olympics might have to be postponed.

I don't see any season happening until we get a vaccine.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Canada just extended their travel ban until July 31st.

Just to be clear, Canada has two travel bans: one applies to the US (and is more a restriction than a ban) and one applies to the rest of the world. The US one is until July 21; the rest-of-the-world one was just extended to July 31.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One or another sport is probably going to push it - probably because of financial pressures - this year (your winter, our summer) and the world will hold its breath....

macy

Record Breaker
One or another sport is probably going to push it - probably because of financial pressures - this year (your winter, our summer) and the world will hold its breath....

i don't see how contact sports can happen...but then again $$$ rules the world.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Yesterday's statement of the Czech FS Union says they are still counting with JGP Ostrava (23-26 September).

zounger

Medalist

Contact sports are already happening, except if you are not consider football/basketball contact sports. It's just this ones are financially profitable even without spectators due to the large TV contracts. For sports where the TV rights are not so profitable and rely strongly on the tickets, it might be a problem. Generally though I think it's just a decision to allow spectators.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just to be clear, Canada has two travel bans: one applies to the US (and is more a restriction than a ban) and one applies to the rest of the world. The US one is until July 21; the rest-of-the-world one was just extended to July 31.

If Canada was smart, the US one will be extended well beyond July. Of course, that makes me even more worried about Jason getting back to TCC, but no country should even be contemplating letting US folks in right now.

Contact sports are already happening in Australia. AFL is back, NRL is back, soccer will restart soon, rugby union also. Motor racing is back. Fans are even being allowed to attend in limited numbers (except in Victoria which is losing control).

But we got lucky. So, so lucky.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If Canada was smart, the US one will be extended well beyond July. Of course, that makes me even more worried about Jason getting back to TCC, but no country should even be contemplating letting US folks in right now.

Contact sports are already happening in Australia. AFL is back, NRL is back, soccer will restart soon, rugby union also. Motor racing is back. Fans are even being allowed to attend in limited numbers (except in Victoria which is losing control).

But we got lucky. So, so lucky.

And the AFL had barely got started when the Melbourne outbreak blew up, and now has to reorganise its entire season on the fly. Nothing is going to be straightforward about any sporting events that do run for the foreseeable future, given how quickly situations can change.

removof

On the Ice
If isu wait the end of covid19 figure skating will be ove
We must to live with the virus

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If isu wait the end of covid19 figure skating will be ove
We must to live with the virus

A lot of cancellations are out of the power of the ISU. The ISU can't hold an international event if participants can't cross a border to attend it, or can attend it, but can't go back to their training base afterward. It is problematic to hold one if participants would have a long quarantine before or after the event (or both). The ISU can't hold an event with a large number of spectators if they are forbidden.

Public health authorities, not the ISU is in charge of public health. Even if the ISU is willing to risk everyone's health "for the sake of the sport", in many cases they won't be allowed to.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Sad but understandable. Others will likely follow.

removof

On the Ice
It s so sad this is the end of world sport and figure skating. Only soccer exist Again.

macy

Record Breaker
It s so sad this is the end of world sport and figure skating. Only soccer exist Again.

thats a bit dramatic. at this point i can reasonably see the JGP and GP being cancelled, but i think a second half of the season beginning with nationals is likely. this is just a break for the sports world and things will resume as normal eventually.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Well, Sweden seems to think Worlds will be taking place as planned. All-event tickets sales have been announced for August 25.