Coupe du Printemps 2017 - Luxembourg | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Coupe du Printemps 2017 - Luxembourg

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can see on the FB video that he stays on his feet on the 3 jump combo but the last jump of it is pretty wonky! Don't exactly know what you'd call it.:luv17:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
The camera angle was not good on the 3A-Lo-2F (?), seemed like a fall to me :scratch2:

Is it a new costume on Shoma?

He didn't fall, but he did double it. Maybe too close to the boards? It got wonky in there.

Also, we don't speak of the illusion mesh 'looks like he burned the dead chicken outfit and this was what was left' mess.

da96103

Record Breaker
You can see on the FB video that he stays on his feet on the 3 jump combo but the last jump of it is pretty wonky! Don't exactly know what you'd call it.:luv17:

I saw a turn out from the 2F.

But at least he managed the 3A+3T for the second time after 4CC.

da96103

Record Breaker
He didn't fall, but he did double it. Maybe too close to the boards? It got wonky in there.

Also, we don't speak of the illusion mesh 'looks like he burned the dead chicken outfit and this was what was left' mess.

What happened to the red black costume. Now the talented painter fans would have trouble deciding which costume for the group painting.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Not Shoma's and Taka's best skates today, but congratulations for placing 1st/2nd. :)

The camera angle was not good on the 3A-Lo-2F (?), seemed like a fall to me :scratch2:

Is it a new costume on Shoma?

No fall, but the 2F was two-footed and UR (<<). Protocols are still not up though. I love Shoma, but I gotta admit, I'm quite astonished he got 199 for his FS. :think:
Let's hope he's going to slay at Worlds! :cheer: Yes, it's another new costume. ;)

Someone uploaded the streamed video, which doesn't properly show his 3 jump combo, but unlike the upload on facebook it's the entire program at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0NyehUCBMs

Edit: Congrats to Rika for winning!

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BTW, protocols were finally posted:

Men's FS
Ladies FS

And Shoma once again didn't get Step Sequence 4. :shame:

Quick comment on the protocol for Shoma.

A fall on a 4L is only .5 below a base level 3A.

Element scoring is not Shoma's problem... so I'm not blaming on him... but something needs to be done to penalize falls more severely.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

Element scoring is not Shoma's problem... so I'm not blaming on him... but something needs to be done to penalize falls more severely.

That suggestion that the BV should take a hit is something that would work.

(Not asking this for Shoma in this case just to be clear.)

Geek On Ice

On the Ice
Awww. TA-KA-HI-TO-!!! :tantrum:

At K&C, MURA was rubbing (massaging) his right leg and seemed in pain, so I was worried, but soon after, his official FB uploaded him doing 3Lz+4T :eek: in GALA practice!! So no injuries! Phew!! ;)

https://www.facebook.com/takahito.m...4993943359461/628359094022941/?type=2&theater

Anyway, the jumps weren't perfect but everything else was not as bad as the score suggests, I thought. (Haven't seen judges scores in detail yet.) Especially that StSq was to die for, as usual. I just LOVE how he treats his free leg during this program, with subtle nuances. :love:

I so wanted to capture that StSq in one cut with one camera, so I'm really happy I got that! (The video uploaded on FB and live footage via Periscope have slightly different angles, so I can enjoy twice as much!!) I always enjoy watching Mura with one camera following him, especially because I love the sound of his edges when he swishes by the camera... w/ his sexy hair swinging! :luv17:

I found the same thing with Rika re. one camera. Her beautiful presence on ice stood out more that way, I thought. Congratulations, Rika! I'm sure this season didn't turn out as she hoped for, but hats off to her, competing in touch schedules (ie. last minute shoe in etc.) with an injury. Also congrats to Ivett! I don't know why (yet), but something about her skate always draws me in.

Congrats to Shoma, too! I love his new hair but not so much his new costume's 'skin'. I like the style, so just remove that mesh part all together? I also like his blue SP costume, but I sort of wish it was lavender color still.

Okay, now I'm looking at judges scores... Hmmm. I think I need time to digest it... Mura's PCS... SS?... StSq3??... Awwwww. :gaah:

I really want to give huge hugs & thanks to CdP staff who worked so hard to give us LIVE coverage and prompt video uploads to FB. I appreciate their efforts so much (last year too) and it showed their LOVE & RESPECT for Figure Skating and its fans. :yes: Thank you!!
:thank:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really want to give huge hugs & thanks to CdP staff who worked so hard to give us LIVE coverage and prompt video uploads to FB. I appreciate their efforts so much (last year too) and it showed their LOVE & RESPECT for Figure Skating and its fans. :yes: Thank you!!

Would just like to echo these thoughts. I would have loved to have been at this competition. The crowd was treated to some wonderful skating, and they seemed to be very appreciative of skaters from all countries. A few camera hiccups, but really appreciate the efforts to get things quickly on FB.

And from what little I saw out the rink windows, Luxembourg looks beautiful! :clap:

da96103

Record Breaker

You need to minus 1 for the fall deduction.

So 4Lo fall = BV 12.0 minus GOE -4.0 minus fall deduction -1.0 = 7.0 (1.5 below 3A BV 8.5)

If the purpose of increasing the penalization is to discourage falls, then it needs to be examined what is the opportunity cost of the quad. In Shoma's case, the highest jump he could do instead of 4Lo is the 3Lo which has a BV of 5.1.

The maximum 3Lo with +3 GOE is only 5.1 + 2.1 = 7.2 (0.2 higher)
So the argument is valid that the penalization of a fully rotated 4Lo with fall is not enough to discourage a skater whose opportunity cost is a 3Lo.

But is it feasible to penalize 4Lo with fall to a score below 5.1?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Awww. TA-KA-HI-TO-!!! :tantrum:

At K&C, MURA was rubbing (massaging) his right leg and seemed in pain, so I was worried, but soon after, his official FB uploaded him doing 3Lz+4T :eek: in GALA practice!! So no injuries! Phew!! ;)

https://www.facebook.com/takahito.m...4993943359461/628359094022941/?type=2&theater

Anyway, the jumps weren't perfect but everything else was not as bad as the score suggests, I thought. (Haven't seen judges scores in detail yet.) Especially that StSq was to die for, as usual. I just LOVE how he treats his free leg during this program, with subtle nuances. :love:

I so wanted to capture that StSq in one cut with one camera, so I'm really happy I got that! (The video uploaded on FB and live footage via Periscope have slightly different angles, so I can enjoy twice as much!!) I always enjoy watching Mura with one camera following him, especially because I love the sound of his edges when he swishes by the camera... w/ his sexy hair swinging! :luv17:

I think you should repost that video to FanFest for eternal reminder what our Takahito is capable of! (instead of what he's showing us...) And yes, sexy hair :luv17:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

So 4Lo fall = BV 12.0 minus GOE -4.0 minus fall deduction -1.0 = 7.0 (1.5 below 3A BV 8.5)

If the purpose of increasing the penalization is to discourage falls, then it needs to be examined what is the opportunity cost of the quad. In Shoma's case, the highest jump he could do instead of 4Lo is the 3Lo which has a BV of 5.1.

So the argument is valid that the penalization of a fully rotated 4Lo with fall is not enough to discourage a skater whose opportunity cost is a 3Lo.

If quad falls were penalized more than they are already (with -4 GOE plus -1 deduction), I don't think we'd have as many quad attempts as we are seeing now. People would hesitate to bring in quads, especially more 'inconsistent' ones.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I appreciate that the organizers provided a free livestream for this event, but what was up with the constant in and out of focus? I found that watching the videos gave me a headache, so it made it less than enjoyable to watch. But congrats to the medalists and especially Rika for pulling out a win despite a less than stellar season.

Shoma scored over 300 here despite a slightly messy FS. Hope he gets some rest before Worlds!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm a believer in a risk/reward scenario. As you've pointed out, a fall on a 4L is almost certainly likely to outscore a very well done 3L. That doesn't seem somehow wrong?

The reward is there, but the risk factor is insufficient.

I believe a fall on a jump should be a "failed element" and receive no score at all. Maybe even throw in the fall deduction so that a skater actually loses points on it.

As for skaters abandoning quad attempts... I don't think so. There are still enough being done that some sort of risk-taking will be mandatory for those hoping to medal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in on pushing the technical boundaries. But dang it, you should have to land your jumps.

amylili

Spectator
I appreciate that the organizers provided a free livestream for this event, but what was up with the constant in and out of focus? I found that watching the videos gave me a headache, so it made it less than enjoyable to watch.

Hi, I'm one of the persons who did the livestream during the competition ;-)
Thank you for all your kind comments and thanks for watching!
I am glad you liked it and I apologize for the constant out of focus, to be honest I was filming from my iPhone... we unfortunately do not have internet at the ice rink yet (we keep asking it every year without any success) so I used my 4G connection to do the livestream. Fortunately I have unlimited data haha!
I will upload new videos (from another camera) of the competition and the gala as soon as I have the time ! (I will post them on our Youtube channel)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am glad you liked it and I apologize for the constant out of focus, to be honest I was filming from my iPhone... we unfortunately do not have internet at the ice rink yet (we keep asking it every year without any success) so I used my 4G connection to do the livestream. Fortunately I have unlimited data haha!
I will upload new videos (from another camera) of the competition and the gala as soon as I have the time ! (I will post them on our Youtube channel)

Thank you so much for going out of your way to live stream the event. I had no idea. Speaking for myself and other GS fans a Big Thank You! :clap:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker

YEAHHHHHHH to you!!!! thank you so much. Can't wait to see the gala videos