Dutch Figure Skating 2021-2022 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Dutch Figure Skating 2021-2022

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Lucky you. Having said that, I'm actually quite pleased we've got 2 sr pairs and 2 sr ID couples at the same time. Must be the first time in Dutch history. Actually, it was the first time in Dutch history we had a pair at Worlds (we've had pairs at Europeans). Now we need a bit of a build up in these disciplines among the juniors. And, I would be thrilled to have a man taking part again (there was one at one of the international competitions this year but I don't know whether he has a future as his scores were low) as our only and best man so far, Thomas Kennes, has just retired and is now working as a coach.
Definitely it starts from the pre Senior levels and builds from there. All our Pairs were Singles skaters who changed discipline, and there's even a few Singles skaters who switched to Dance successfully, apart from Lewis, the Junior silver Medalist boy, Alex Lapsy. That's one route the Netherlands could go down to try to build numbers. If skaters reach a point in Singles where they can't do the harder jumps and are getting injured trying, as happened with Luke Digby, he went to the Lambiel school and tried the 3 Axel but came away with a serious knee injury that almost ended his skating career. Sometimes another option is possible though every skater starts learning alone. Certainly those who switch disciplines don't regret it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Final updates on Santa Claus Cup and Golden Spin

Golden Spin Ice Dance
Although the couples were pretty close in the RD (11th for V/vG vs 12th for J/G with a difference of 1.81 points) in the FD J/G did a lot better than V/vG who had 4 points in deductions and were 14th (and 14th overall). J/G were 12th (and 12th overall) but there was a difference of 14.29 points between the FDs. In total the difference was slightly less (as V/vG had been slightly in front of J/G after the RD) but still quite substantial (a differential 12.48 points). It seems that J/G will go to Europeans.

Santa Claus Cup
In Advanced Novice Women (girls) Emilia Soloukhin was 13th out of a total of 29 competitors. Well done!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I'm really looking forward to Europeans next week - even if it will be without spectators/audience (although so far a limited number will be allowed, but one never knows in these times). There will be Dutch skaters in three disciplines: Women, Pairs and Ice Dance.

Lindsay van Zundert in Women
Daria Danilova/Michel Tsiba in Pairs, and
Hannah Jakucs/Alessio Galli in Ice Dance.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Some interesting news about the Bavarian Open (an International B taking place in Germany one week after Europeans), thanks to @Andrea82 who put up the entree lists.

In the Women's Frederique Koning will participate. Frederique trains in Haarlem and also took part in Skate Celje this season.

I was pleasantly surprised by seeing Nika Osipova/Dmitry Epstein (pairs) on the entree list. I sincerely hope that Dmitry has now fully recovered from that heavy bout of Covid he endured last summer, and that they can truly show their worth.

Edit: I have just read that there will be a junior woman at the IceLab International Competition in Bergamo, Italy, as well. This competition takes place parallel with European's. The young woman taking part is Lois Libregts.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I must admit to not telling all about the participation of Dutch Skaters at Bavarian Open. I'm not that good a follower of the juniors and younger skaters, but of course when they take part in international competitions, they should be mentioned! There are going to be quite a few junior skaters here as well (six to be precise), besides the one woman in Seniors:

Dani Loonstra
Julia van Dijk
Jolanda Vos
Lois Libregts
Jane Knoester
Roos Marijne de Jong

Dani Loonstra and Julia van Dijk have both skated in the JGP last fall. Dani in Krasnojarsk and Julia in Kosice and Linz. Presumably the selection for whom will represent the Netherlands at JW will be made here.

As well as some Advanced Novice girls (four):
Gabi Loonstra
Sharon Luit
Josefine Boer Josefine
Macey Mellema

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A first update from European's (which hasn't even started properly yet).
Lindsay van Zundert's main coach, Carine Herrijgers, has tested positive for Covid and therefore could not accompany her there. Her assistant coach Thomas Kennes will accompany her instead. They've both safely arrived in Tallinn (and have tested negative).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
First update European Championships.
The Dutch Pair, Daria Danilova and Michel Tsiba, did not make it past the cut for the FS. Their championships are over. For more information about what happened during the Short Programme, I refer to their Fanfest.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
My second report from Euros is (almost) as dire as the first one. Lindsay was 27th in the SP, so she did not make the cut. A very unexpected outcome as she usually scores well into the 50s (only 48 today), and I was actually hoping she would finally hit 60. Not to be. At least not today. I felt very sorry for her to do so badly at her first Euros, but these things happen. Only our ID couple is left. I hope they will keep up the honours.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Last report from Euros.
Hanna Jakucs and Allessio Galli were 25th in the RD, and so did not make the cut to the FD. But they didn't expect to. Of course they did their best,but they knew it was more a question of being lucky than managing to get the points on their own merit to push through. Hanna after all had a severe bout of Covid and it took her quite some time to get back to training, let alone getting to the level which is needed to be part of the first twenty at a competition like this one. They were just happy to experience it, and will continue to train. They were really happy to represent The Netherlands.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Small report: Of the Junior women at Icelab International Cup Lois Libregts was 18th (SP 20th, FS 17th) out of 22 competitors.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
It was reported on the Dutch Skating website that Niki Wories plans to continue for another 4 years - the next Olympic cycle so to speak. Here's the (short) article:

Niki Wories plakt er olympische cyclus aan vast
De liefde voor het kunstrijden is bij zesvoudig Nederlands kampioene Niki Wories zo groot dat de in Almere geboren atlete heeft besloten door te gaan tot en met de volgende Winterspelen (Milaan, 2026). "Ik heb een goed gesprek gehad met mijn coach Ian Connolly en daarin is besloten dat ik mijn carrière zal verlengen. Ondanks dat velen misschien vinden dat ik oud ben, zullen we proberen er stap voor stap uit te halen wat er nog in me zit. Als het goed verloopt, en mijn lichamelijke en mentale gesteldheid meewerken, weet ik waar ik over vier jaar sta", heeft de 25-jarige Wories laten weten aan de KNSB. De voorbije periode heeft ze nog geprobeerd zich te plaatsen voor Beijing, maar dat bleek (mede door blessures) een utopie. Hoewel het Canadese Montreal haar vaste trainingsbasis is, denkt ze ook na over een samenwerking met het Nationaal Trainingscentrum Kunstrijden dat later dit jaar in Heerenveen van start gaat.

Free Translation:
The love for figure skating is so great that six time Dutch Champion Niki Wories, whose birthplace is in Almere, has decided to continue skating until the next Winter Olympic Games (Milan, 2026). "I had a nice talk with my coach Ian Connolly, and that made me decide to extend my carreer in Figure Skating. Although many might say that I am 'old' (she's 25) I wish to get out of figure skating as much as I can - moving forwards step by step. If it goes well, if my physical and mental health co-operate, I will know where I'm going to be in four years time." This is the message she has given to the Dutch Skating Federation. She tried to get the Olympic spot in Beijing but that turned out to be impossible (partly due to injuries). Her training base is in Montreal (Canada) but she is currently thinking about working together with the National Training Centre for Figure Skating which will be launched during the course of this year in Heerenveen.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
A first report of the Bavarian Open. The SP's of the Junior Women en Advanced Novice Girls have taken place today. Both were split (as there were quite a few skaters) into two groups with the Dutch Women/Girls split alongside. Apparently Julia van Dijk has withdrawn, as she doesn't turn up in the standings after the SP. I don't know the reason.

Junior Women group I. A group of 17 Junior Women.
Two Dutch Young women in this group, Jolanda Vos (10th) and Roos Marijne de Jong (17th)

Junior Women Group II. Another group of 17 Junior Women.
Three Dutch young women in this group, Dani Loonstra (5th), Lois Libregts (11th) and Jane Knoester (14th).

Advanced Novice Girls group I. A group of 24 girls.
Two Dutch girls in this group, Macey Mellema (16th) and Gabi Loonstra (21st).

Advanced Novice Girls group II. A group of 25 girls.
Two Dutch girls in this group as well, Sharon Luit (19th) and Josefine Boer (25th).

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Second report from the Bavarian Open. Advanced Novice Girls and Junior Women competitions came to an end today. I'll put up the numbers of the groups of girls/women again to give a bit of context, as of course it's different when you're fourth in a group of 17 than of 5!

Junior Women group I. A group of 17 Junior Women.
Of the two Dutch Young women in this group, Jolanda Vos dropped from 10th to 12th in the standings (although she was 11th in the FS) while Roos Marijne de Jong remained in 17th.

Junior Women Group II. Another group of 17 Junior Women.
Of the three Dutch young women in this group, Dani Loonstra managed to rise to 4th place because she had the 4th FS of the day (and it was enough to also be 4th of the competition), Lois Libregts also managed to rise (from 11th to 10th) while Jane Knoester dropped from 14th to 16th.

Advanced Novice Girls group I. A group of 24 girls.
Of the two Dutch girls in this group, Macey Mellema dropped from 16th to 20th while Gabi Loonstra dropped from 21st to 22nd.

Advanced Novice Girls group II. A group of 24 girls (there was a withdrawal since the SP)
Of the two Dutch girls in this group, Sharon Luit maintained het 19th place and Josefine Boer became 24th (she was 25th after the SP, but due to the WD she rose in the placements).

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Another report from the Bavarian Open.

Regrettably there were only three senior pairs left to start at the SP, but Niki and Dmitry showed up and in quite fine fettle too. They are in the lead with 54.98 points and they really seem to be back on track. Great SBS 3 Salchows.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Last report from the Bavarian Open
The Senior Pairs FS was yesterday, and though I did review it in the competition thread, I was just too saddened to report it here as well. Nika and Dmitry did not have a good skate (4 falls) even though there were some good moments in it. In any case, they dropped from 1st to 3rd because of it. Still a medal (there were only 3 couples after all) but after their promising SP, it was a bit of a let down. And...still no minimum TES for the FS - not for Worlds or for Euros.

In the Senior Women's there was one Dutch representative present who ended last (12 out of 12). Having mentioned that, her FS was a lot better than her SP. Although again in 12th place, much closer to the number 11 than the day before (and even slightly higher on TES). A pity she did have a fall in both programmes.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Sjoukje Dijkstra - the only Dutch Figure Skating Olympic Champion - turned 80 today. The Skating Federation found it worth a feature article about both her Figure Skating Career and het life in general.

The article can be found here: https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/202...ukje-dijkstra-de-sprongenkoningin-op-het-ijs/ .

It's in Dutch so here's a bit of a summary in translation:
The article describes her youth - how her father, a Doctor and former Olympian in long track skating, would take her to training and usually watched those trainings (due to the fact that the one time he didn't, someone rode over her, and just turned away while she had a broken leg) until she left for training abroad (to the UK and back for extended training periods, to Davos) with Arnold Gerschwiler. She didn't much like the family she stayed with over there, but did not tell this at home, because she feared it wouldn't be allowed any more. And her father had done so much to arrange flights, etc. She was only 11 at the time. Joan Haanappel joined her later. She was only 14 during her first Olympics (1956), got the Silver medal at her second (1960) and the Gold at her third (1964). At the time she was one of the few women who could really jump an excellent double axel! Her gold medal Olympic win is one of her greatest memories although she has good memories of lots of moments during her amateur career (which was completely the case in those times, you would be lucky to receive some nice glasses or a radio). After the WC in 1964 she retired from competitive skating skated for 8 years for 'Holiday on Ice'.

In the interview she spends some time talking about Lindsay van Zundert and how happy she is there is finally going to be Dutch representation at the Olympics in Figure Skating again. She and Joan have both played a role in supporting Dutch figure Skating, and Lindsay especially.

She is very contented in looking back, and not just on her skating career. She is happily married with two children. Her main goal nowadays is to stay healthy.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Sjoukje Dijkstra - the only Dutch Figure Skating Olympic Champion - turned 80 today. The Skating Federation found it worth a feature article about both her Figure Skating Career and het life in general.

The article can be found here: https://www.schaatsen.nl/nieuws/202...ukje-dijkstra-de-sprongenkoningin-op-het-ijs/ .

It's in Dutch so here's a bit of a summary in translation:
The article describes her youth - how her father, a Doctor and former Olympian in long track skating, would take her to training and usually watched those trainings (due to the fact that the one time he didn't, someone rode over her, and just turned away while she had a broken leg) until she left for training abroad (to the UK and back for extended training periods, to Davos) with Arnold Gerschwiler. She didn't much like the family she stayed with over there, but did not tell this at home, because she feared it wouldn't be allowed any more. And her father had done so much to arrange flights, etc. She was only 11 at the time. Joan Haanappel joined her later. She was only 14 during her first Olympics (1956), got the Silver medal at her second (1960) and the Gold at her third (1964). At the time she was one of the few women who could really jump an excellent double axel! Her gold medal Olympic win is one of her greatest memories although she has good memories of lots of moments during her amateur career (which was completely the case in those times, you would be lucky to receive some nice glasses or a radio). After the WC in 1964 she retired from competitive skating skated for 8 years for 'Holiday on Ice'.

In the interview she spends some time talking about Lindsay van Zundert and how happy she is there is finally going to be Dutch representation at the Olympics in Figure Skating again. She and Joan have both played a role in supporting Dutch figure Skating, and Lindsay especially.

She is very contented in looking back, and not just on her skating career. She is happily married with two children. Her main goal nowadays is to stay healthy.
I love this, thank you so much, those old photos with the article are beautiful!

I also heard from my friend in Amsterdam that Sjoukje appeared in a radio interview and a fun fact I never knew before, World Champion icedancer Courtney Jones designed and made her costumes when she trained in Richmond. He later made Torvill & Dean's costumes too. Sjoukje chose the mint fabric for her Olympic dress, which I never knew before as I've only seen it in B&W.

"she asked him not to make them too heavy with sequins. In the Olympic year she choose the fabric, the mint colour, and only wanted some light feathers as embellishment. Sadly she lost the costume." (My friend Vera)

Here is Sjoukje's full Olympic Free skating at 1964 Olympics.

Clip from the radio interview last week.

An article on her life today which features Lindsay and her success.

Love this quote!

Sjoukje Dijkstra (80) still skates in her dreams: "Then it always goes well, I never fall"​

Happy 80th Birthday Sjoukje Dijkstra 🎂:hb:💐

Last edited: