Evgenia Medvedeva | Page 1319 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva

Scott512

Record Breaker
Apparently it was true but a bit blown out of proportion on social media.
Yes, maybe there are better ways of meeting a person you admire, but, from what I gather is that it doesn't seem like the person was aggressive or anything near stalking her. Literally, just an excited fan.
Zhenya's mom allowed this fan to meet with her, so it was all good.

& no it was not the guy who tried to smooch her at the signing
thanks for the info. It sounds like this was a nothingburger. I hope the person who got to meet Zhenya is not emotionally scarred by any social media backlash.

I agree with you.

I follow this fan on Twitter and read the story.

The problem was generated on social medias by fans of a famous skater who trains at TCC. According to these fans, a fact like that could put at risk the security of their idol.

I understand the issue of security. But the girl came in with Zhenya's mother. If Zhenya's mother considered that she could go in and see her daughter there isn't discussion about this subject. And if that couldn't be done according to the TCC's rules it's a matter of Zhenya's mother with the club. But not from a group of fans complaining to the club for the safety of their idol.

There are fans who think that life revolves around their idol and don't understand that could be other people who are fans of other athletes. And that having this boy in front of them doesn't interest them.
Well said.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Omg you guys! Youtube just recommended me this video in support of Rostelecom cup: https://youtu.be/GIJ9fBqTroI

I started watching it, was like "hmmmm this song sounda familiar to me...." and omg it's the song from Macedonia from the 2019 Eurovision! It's as close as Zhenya and Macedonia will ever be lol. [emoji23]
I don't follow the Eurovision, but this makes me feel so weirdly happy. [emoji28]🤣🤣

LiamV426

On the Ice
Country
Scotland
Omg you guys! Youtube just recommended me this video in support of Rostelecom cup: https://youtu.be/GIJ9fBqTroI

I started watching it, was like "hmmmm this song sounda familiar to me...." and omg it's the song from Macedonia from the 2019 Eurovision! It's as close as Zhenya and Macedonia will ever be lol. [emoji23]
I don't follow the Eurovision, but this makes me feel so weirdly happy. [emoji28]����

When I was watching I was totally getting Eurovision vibes haha, that's on brand though since Zhenya has skated to a Eurovision song! It's really lovely and that was a beautiful tribute. :love:

Hi guys, just wanted to say hello! I took a break after Skate Canada because I was upset. I only ever want the best for Evgenia and she is the most incredible skater. She got me into following skating. I skated growing up but it got to the point where I just didn't love the long hours that it required. But I started watching the sport religiously because of Evgenia at the Olympics. That includes staying up at weird hours and watching the live streams.

I thought her free skate at Skate Canada was outstanding. I would have given it 150+. But without the minor loss of levels on spins (a level 3 and another spin violation), I think she would have scored 150ish for sure. I wanted those points for her so bad! I really hope she will work on the spins because she rarely gets all level 4s now. I'm glad the PCS was deservedly high.

However I was upset with her coming in 5th. With this sort of score, she would have won Skate Canada last year. And gotten a medal at Skate America the previous week. It wasn't fair that she got placed at the deepest field. And I would have put her above Bradie overall IMO, and she was only 2 points behind in total. With the spin levels, Zhenya would have been 4th for sure. 4th sounds a lot better to me than 5th, not sure why. I just hate that she was put at Skate Canada because the result would have been different otherwise. Oh well. I was clearly devastated after the short, but I think she realized now how she needs to be. So it may have been for the best. She clearly figured it out for the free! Also the sal-loop, gorgeous! As is the new 2A combo, even though it made me very nervous before.

I am looking forward to Rostelecom and I think she will be able to skate much better. I love that she will get a supportive home crowd and I'm sure season's best scores!

Also a thank you to everyone in this fan fest. I lurk often and often upvote your comments. I hope you noticed. I appreciate all you guys' positivity about Zhenya and how we all share this support for her. I also love and appreciate how you guys so bravely defend her on the Russian Ladies thread. Most of the hate for her there makes 0 sense. So I'm glad we all keep it positive.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I don't understand the fuss. Trying to meet your idol at the TCC is no stalking at all. It would have been a different story had she waited in front of Zhenya's apartment building.

I read one of the twitter threads. Apparently, the girl stayed for practice/part of the practice before taking pics with Evgenia.
Why the fuss? Cos it sets a precedence.

Then fans will come crowding at TCC wanting to be allowed in to see their fav skater. Not just Evgenia, but all TCC skaters.

2nd, info on environment & condition of the skaters at practice might be leaked out. TCC keeps this closely guarded.

If you want an example, sometime last year a girl took a video of a practice session of her friend at TCC. And posted it on social media. The girl was a guest invited by the skater.
In that video, Yuzuru appeared, skating at side near the wall. This was after Yuzuru sustained his 2nd ankle injury, nobody outside TCC knew if he could start skating again.
Twitter went into a frenzy. The video later was taken down

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I agree with you.

I follow this fan on Twitter and read the story.

The problem was generated on social medias by fans of a famous skater who trains at TCC. According to these fans, a fact like that could put at risk the security of their idol.

I understand the issue of security. But the girl came in with Zhenya's mother. If Zhenya's mother considered that she could go in and see her daughter there isn't discussion about this subject. And if that couldn't be done according to the TCC's rules it's a matter of Zhenya's mother with the club. But not from a group of fans complaining to the club for the safety of their idol.

There are fans who think that life revolves around their idol and don't understand that could be other people who are fans of other athletes. And that having this boy in front of them doesn't interest them.

It is not just that actually.
From where I come from(as in my whole country), it is standard procedure that training centers are strictly off limits to fans. Cos if its allowed, scores of fans will waiting everyday. Hogging space & blocking traffic, inconveniencing everybody else.
It distrupts the athletes schedule, esp the more famous ones, cos he/she cannot get out of the training center. Crowd control problem.

If I'm an athlete, I would not want to deal with such crowds everyday, even if its the fans of another athlete. Train also cannot train in peace. Same thing with workplace.
If you have experienced such encounters before at work or neighborhood, then you would understand the concerns.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Are you going to Rostelcom?
Yes [emoji4]
Hi guys, just wanted to say hello! I took a break after Skate Canada because I was upset. I only ever want the best for Evgenia and she is the most incredible skater. She got me into following skating. I skated growing up but it got to the point where I just didn't love the long hours that it required. But I started watching the sport religiously because of Evgenia at the Olympics. That includes staying up at weird hours and watching the live streams.

I thought her free skate at Skate Canada was outstanding. I would have given it 150+. But without the minor loss of levels on spins (a level 3 and another spin violation), I think she would have scored 150ish for sure. I wanted those points for her so bad! I really hope she will work on the spins because she rarely gets all level 4s now. I'm glad the PCS was deservedly high.

However I was upset with her coming in 5th. With this sort of score, she would have won Skate Canada last year. And gotten a medal at Skate America the previous week. It wasn't fair that she got placed at the deepest field. And I would have put her above Bradie overall IMO, and she was only 2 points behind in total. With the spin levels, Zhenya would have been 4th for sure. 4th sounds a lot better to me than 5th, not sure why. I just hate that she was put at Skate Canada because the result would have been different otherwise. Oh well. I was clearly devastated after the short, but I think she realized now how she needs to be. So it may have been for the best. She clearly figured it out for the free! Also the sal-loop, gorgeous! As is the new 2A combo, even though it made me very nervous before.

I am looking forward to Rostelecom and I think she will be able to skate much better. I love that she will get a supportive home crowd and I'm sure season's best scores!

Also a thank you to everyone in this fan fest. I lurk often and often upvote your comments. I hope you noticed. I appreciate all you guys' positivity about Zhenya and how we all share this support for her. I also love and appreciate how you guys so bravely defend her on the Russian Ladies thread. Most of the hate for her there makes 0 sense. So I'm glad we all keep it positive.
This was a very sweet post. I agree with you on your points. And it's nice seeing how there are other people starting to follow the sport a lot after being introduced to her. [emoji4]

skatingfan200

Medalist
Do we think she'll introduce a new jump for Rostelecom since she has nothing to lose GPF-wise? Such as the 3F+Lo or maybe even 4S (has she landed it in practice much? I haven't seen her do it).

Or do you guys think she'll play it safe, go for the clean skates and ensure she wins a medal in Russia?

TBH I'd be happy for her just to stick to her layout (but please ditch the 3Lz in the short) because clean skates and a medal would be a nice confidence boost going into Nationals. Use Golden Spin to experiment a bit.

I agree, 3lz not in the short.

Aichwan

Rinkside
After Idf and cup of china strick judging, I'm kinda glad that judges are looking at everyone's lutz edge and under-rotations.
We all know that so many top senior girls have a (!) or an (e), even the ones who r landing quads. My comment doesn't come from being mean spirited. I just think is good that they're getting this calls, so they can actively work on improving their technique. I can't help to think that it would have been so beneficial for Zhenya to get those calls in her previous seasons so she would have started trying to fix her lutz edge a lot earlier in her career. Muscle memory is hardcore n the younger u fix it the better chances.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey all thanks for the kind words on my report. I had a few of you ask about the video, so I'm just going to go ahead and link it here and keep it available for a few days.

Last edited:

Maia96

On the Ice
It is not just that actually.
From where I come from(as in my whole country), it is standard procedure that training centers are strictly off limits to fans. Cos if its allowed, scores of fans will waiting everyday. Hogging space & blocking traffic, inconveniencing everybody else.
It distrupts the athletes schedule, esp the more famous ones, cos he/she cannot get out of the training center. Crowd control problem.

If I'm an athlete, I would not want to deal with such crowds everyday, even if its the fans of another athlete. Train also cannot train in peace. Same thing with workplace.
If you have experienced such encounters before at work or neighborhood, then you would understand the concerns.

I understand the concerns but I don't think it's for so much and all the mess caused by a group of fans. Because they are definitely just that: fans of a skater.

After all, anyone who goes to the TCC cafe can see skaters training just like this girl saw them. And anyone who is there could wait them to finish training and greet them or take a picture like this girl did. Definitely, this girl just greeted her and gave her some gifts nothing more. And she did with the consent of Zhenya's mother and the security of TCC watching over her.

silveruskate

On the Ice
If she wanted to 'go for' something, I would say do 3Lo, 2A and backloaded 3F-3T like before. She can try a 3Lz although I don't recommend it....but considering chances for GPF are almost zero why not just backload the combo? Her FS the same and take the e/! call on the Lz.

Maia96

On the Ice
After Idf and cup of china strick judging, I'm kinda glad that judges are looking at everyone's lutz edge and under-rotations.
We all know that so many top senior girls have a (!) or an (e), even the ones who r landing quads. My comment doesn't come from being mean spirited. I just think is good that they're getting this calls, so they can actively work on improving their technique. I can't help to think that it would have been so beneficial for Zhenya to get those calls in her previous seasons so she would have started trying to fix her lutz edge a lot earlier in her career. Muscle memory is hardcore n the younger u fix it the better chances.

I know it's hard but it would be great if Zhenya could correct her lutz and make a good jump.

Now that the judges have a strict look on Zhenya and with the fact that they started calling other girls. If Zhenya could correct it now it would benefit her much more.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
If she wanted to 'go for' something, I would say do 3Lo, 2A and backloaded 3F-3T like before. She can try a 3Lz although I don't recommend it....but considering chances for GPF are almost zero why not just backload the combo? Her FS the same and take the e/! call on the Lz.

I don’t know if this is the best plan for Zhenya at the moment. I think that she should stick with her current layout or maybe upgrade one item. I think that Zhenya needs to build her confidence/resolve her mental issue and that the best way to do that is to skate two clean or close to clean programs and get a silver at Rostelecom Cup. Even though Zhenya might not make the GPF, I think that she should still try to skate clean. If one of the 4A gets injured or something, then she could be a sub for worlds or europeans etc.

Aichwan

Rinkside
I know it's hard but it would be great if Zhenya could correct her lutz and make a good jump.

Now that the judges have a strict look on Zhenya and with the fact that they started calling other girls. If Zhenya could correct it now it would benefit her much more.

Yes, hopefully she can fix it! It's nver too late.

Did anything change ruling wise for judges to be so strict now? It seems that this year they're actually not letting the skaters reputation cloud their judgement. I was super impressed that made calls on the the reigning GOlympic champ.