Figure Skating Anime | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Anime

Rissa

Record Breaker
Okay, I just hope the scriptwriters are going to do a decent job and it won't turn into another Free! , beautifully animated but silly and cheesy... :laugh:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I knew I had that video somewhere! Ok this is the bts work they did for the video above, with Kenji Miyamoto and Risa Mochizuki so you can see how hard they tried to make it good when you observe the two side by side. I am not sure if they can keep up for the entire anime but if it is a standard 12 episode run, then possibly.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k26M9qklaceyJPcCjjn

I kinda expected that the first figure skating anime would be about girls, full-blown shoujo. :popcorn:

Not to get too into anime because I am sure I'd bore everyone to death but an all men's sport is actually completely on par with the current trends in sports anime and girls flock to it big time. There have even been some completely aimed at girls, like Free! (swimming) that ended up selling like hot cakes, still does really which is why they might do more pre-Olympics, but even those that are more general, like current biggest one Haikyuu!! (volleyball) or Daiya no Ace (baseball) girls watch in huge numbers (and buy, which is more important). Apart from one, I'd be hard pressed to think of a recent success that isn't an all male sport. There's no romance in them but that's the good bit for today's audience. And I still ended up blabbing :laugh:

Rissa

Record Breaker
^^

Thanks for the video, it'd be awesome if they did 12 episodes with high quality skating animation.

I watched Free!, mostly for the siliness factor, and I must say I really like Haikyuu since volleyball is very popular in my country and it's really funny. I dodn't realize they were so popular with girls though, I guess it must be the bishonen factor? The designers sure know how to appeal to all audiences (although I suspect a self-respecting boy wouldn't be caught dead watching Free! lol). Given the popularity of figure skating in Japan, the anime is bound to be successful if the story isn't completely awful. Perhaps they could even do a few seasons leading up to the Olympcs!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
^^

That skating is really popular in Japan is a good thing because today, Japanese animation isn't in a pretty place. Finances are tough so they stick to things they know can sell. FS popularity will help there in terms of getting bigger funds perhaps so I'm hopeful in terms of a quality 12 episode, first season run. Anything past that then depends on the sales.

:laugh: How to put this? While there is the usual bishonen factor and of course people watch it for the sport too, there is also the Yaoi factor, big time, these days. Basically fans can pair up the guys as they want and have fun with it. Since you watch Haikyuu!! type Kagehina in the Twitter search box and you'll have your eyes opened :biggrin: That's not enough of course, Haikyuu!! is being written by a man who used to play volleyball and has excellent plot and high realism (for an anime) so as a package, it's a perfect deal. For me, ideally, we'd get that type of thing for Yuri!!! and it seems possible, considering how far they've gone to just make the pitch for it.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
^^

That skating is really popular in Japan is a good thing because today, Japanese animation isn't in a pretty place. Finances are tough so they stick to things they know can sell. FS popularity will help there in terms of getting bigger funds perhaps so I'm hopeful in terms of a quality 12 episode, first season run. Anything past that then depends on the sales.

:laugh: How to put this? While there is the usual bishonen factor and of course people watch it for the sport too, there is also the Yaoi factor, big time, these days. Basically fans can pair up the guys as they want and have fun with it. Since you watch Haikyuu!! type Kagehina in the Twitter search box and you'll have your eyes opened :biggrin: That's not enough of course, Haikyuu!! is being written by a man who used to play volleyball and has excellent plot and high realism (for an anime) so as a package, it's a perfect deal. For me, ideally, we'd get that type of thing for Yuri!!! and it seems possible, considering how far they've gone to just make the pitch for it.

Ahhh, I must confess I'm no stranger to the yaoi factor, there's a good number of (mostly manga) yaoi titles under my belt, and how can I forget how I shipped the Hikaru no Go characters from my fledling anime days, or the Naruto/Sasuke yaoi fan wars. Good times. Free! was really obvious about where they were aiming at, but I would have thought that Haikyuu had too much actual sport in it to appeal to the yaoi fandom. Now that I think of it, though, Kagehina seemes like an obvious thing. :laugh: If the storywriters get the shades Plushy/Yags rivarly or Yuzu/Javi bromance coupled with all the eyecandy, they'll have that audience covered. :popcorn:

Thanks for the explanation of the state of the anime industry, I've been wondering why it seemed in a bit of a slump since the Attack on Titan (and I know that the doujinshi for that number in thousands hahaha) or why they would revive Dragon Ball of all things.

Ahahaha, I'd better stop now as well, and not turn this thread into an anime one.

Last edited:

yuzushenko

On the Ice
i dont think the yuri kid is based off of plushy, i think the viktor one is.

the yuri one reminds me of stephen gogolev, like a young rising prodigy or something.

it's kind of odd that the japanese one's last name (or first? idc) is yuuri lol. must be part of the rivalry.

and yeah, yaoi is a big selling factor haha.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Ahhh, I must confess I'm no stranger to the yaoi factor, there's a good number of (mostly manga) yaoi titles under my belt, and how can I forget how I shipped the Hikaru no Go characters from my fledling anime days,<snip> or Yuzu/Javi bromance coupled with all the eyecandy, they'll have that audience covered. :popcorn:

How do you think I know so much? :laugh: Everyone shipped Hikaru and Akira, everyone! Daichi/Suga, Nishinoya/Asahi and Oikawa/Iwaizumi are big in Haikyuu too btw.

Anyway, I think it's possible we'll get the rivals training together under "Plushenko", I agree with @yuzushenko here, Viktor is Plushy, much like Javi/Yuzu do with Brian. It writes itself after that. I am just curious if they will use the standard Juniors because I don't see the typical high-school setting here as plausible. It just doesn't work.

I hope no. :noshake: I think no :think: normaly in the press realease is specified if it is a yaoi. But I´m sure fans will have many fanfics.

We are not talking about the show actually being yaoi, it won't be. None of the current sports anime/manga are but the fans will run with it anyway. They always do. It's really a decent section of the audience and they are happy with just a hint here and there that for the regulars passes as typical bromance. The animators know that it's best to keep everyone happy because happy people watch and buy.

Last edited:

aynia

On the Ice
The teaser looks great! I wonder if this anime could help make the sport more popular outside Japan - I mean it did with HnG and Go. I'm not expecting a hype but I wish there was more appreciation for how difficult and komplex figure skating is.

How do you think I know so much? :laugh: Everyone shipped Hikaru and Akira, everyone!
Me too! :)

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, reviving the thread with some BTS stuff, since I'm actually really excited about this one.:hap10:

Here we have a 3A being animated . I thought it looked really fine, let's see how they translate it to the screen.

And this one is Daisuki Takahashi being animated. Will it be a part of the show or not?

And now here we have some awesome costume designs.

And I think one of my favorites of the batch: study of the quad flip.

The jumps look very realistic, if a bit prodigious with those tight rotations.

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
looks great!
I never watched any anime but thos one I will for sure :biggrin:
I wanted to see some girls tho! yep Im old fashioned:laugh:
maybe they can add Mao in there!

Rissa

Record Breaker
Well, reviving the thread with some BTS stuff, since I'm actually really excited about this one.:hap10:

Here we have a 3A being animated . I thought it looked really fine, let's see how they translate it to the screen.

And this one is Daisuki Takahashi being animated. Will it be a part of the show or not?

And now here we have some awesome costume designs.

And I think one of my favorites of the batch: study of the quad flip.

The jumps look very realistic, if a bit prodigious with those tight rotations.

Omg I cant't wait! :luv17:

And those costumes would launch never-ending threads here, love them too! ::luv17: