Figure Skating Anime | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Anime

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I knew it wa smatter of time before someone will use it for the competetive programs :biggrin:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Not quite sure where to put this, but it seems like the right place.

Me: "...so I would nitpick YOI to death and I also have no idea what year it's set in. Also I saw somewhere that the scores were mathematically impossible."

YOI Fan: "They're based off Hanyu's scores from that competition..."

Me: "The world-record one?"

YOI Fan: "Yeah, that one! They were slightly over 200!"

Me: "Free skating or overall?"

YOI Fan: "Overall?"

Me: "If the top scores are slightly over 200 then you're either watching juniors or lower-ranked seniors. Or everyone bombed."

:slink:

ifshehadwings

Rinkside
Err, that person was mistaken. The highest overall score we see in YOI is 319.53. The scores more generally I think are a bit high compared to actual men's singles. But the show has more skaters doing more quads than we see in real life (although that is quickly changing). To the best of my knowledge the technical scores are correct to IJS scoring. Who knows about the PCS.

As to the timeframe, it's not set in any particular year, or at least not in any one actual season of figure skating. There are no two consecutive years where the GPF was in Sochi followed by Barcelona. So I'm just calling it an alternate universe. My best guess for dates is Dec 2015 to Dec 2016, but I don't believe it's ever specified in the show.

Only you can say whether you could suspend your disbelief enough to enjoy the show, but it seems to have a pretty big following among top skaters (e.g. Evgenia Medvedeva and Johnny Weir). The impression I've gotten is that they think the show portrays the world of figure skating well and feels true to their experience. So that seems like a point in its favor.

I may be a little biased because YOI inspired me to start skating again after many years away, but I think it's really good and worth a shot. :)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It's when certain skaters make major mistakes and their scores don't correspond to how the performance went. But then we need to assume the COP and values for elements and mistakes may be different to allow those weird scores.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
It's when certain skaters make major mistakes and their scores don't correspond to how the performance went. But then we need to assume the COP and values for elements and mistakes may be different to allow those weird scores.

Nah, they use the same scoring system, as per protocols in the background of the first episode. The creators just can't math and/or decided to go for plot over realistic scoring. Yurio's WR SP and JJ's SP scoring at GPF are the most egregious mistakes, though Yuri missing out on a 100+ score just because of a hand down in his 4F is equally frustrating.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Is it certain that jumps, spins, and footwork are all valued the same with PCS having the same factorization and deductions and GOE deductions for falls and step-outs are the same?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Err, that person was mistaken. The highest overall score we see in YOI is 319.53. The scores more generally I think are a bit high compared to actual men's singles. But the show has more skaters doing more quads than we see in real life (although that is quickly changing). To the best of my knowledge the technical scores are correct to IJS scoring. Who knows about the PCS.

The only way for Yurio's SP score at GPF to happen is if he got level 4 everything and then +3 GOE on everything and then if he got 60+ PCS. As in, actually impossible.

Actually the worst SP score GPF was JJ's. Two invalid jumping passes ain't putting you in the 80's. Even inflation is not that bad.

Is it certain that jumps, spins, and footwork are all valued the same with PCS having the same factorization and deductions and GOE deductions for falls and step-outs are the same?

They acted like they were, in the first episodes, and then completely twisted anything and everything for plot purposes and created inconsistencies in-universe. For example, in the GPF SP, Yuuri puts a hand down on the 4F. This, apparently, is enough to absolutely slaughter his score down to 97. However, in the FS, we see JJ going over 200 with a popped-to-single jumping pass and a fall, and Yurio winning the whole damn thing after falling, which in the earlier Cup of China episode had been used as a justification for Yuuri losing his 20-point lead over Phichit and Phichit winning. In other words, a fall was the kiss of death until the moment the plot called for it not to be.

I don't think I would have minded them not using our system if they at least used one that made sense.

Tulipstar

Medalist

As to the timeframe, it's not set in any particular year, or at least not in any one actual season of figure skating. There are no two consecutive years where the GPF was in Sochi followed by Barcelona. So I'm just calling it an alternate universe. My best guess for dates is Dec 2015 to Dec 2016, but I don't believe it's ever specified in the show.

Only you can say whether you could suspend your disbelief enough to enjoy the show, but it seems to have a pretty big following among top skaters (e.g. Evgenia Medvedeva and Johnny Weir). The impression I've gotten is that they think the show portrays the world of figure skating well and feels true to their experience. So that seems like a point in its favor.

I may be a little biased because YOI inspired me to start skating again after many years away, but I think it's really good and worth a shot. :)

No need to justify anything. It seems to be a happy, positive message that YOI brings to the sport. There are loads of top level skaters who love the anime, though Evgenia and Johnny are probably the biggest fans. I do get the feeling sometimes that people just want to hate it because they want to seem "above it", and that's why I think it's great so many top level skaters like it. I'd rather hear about their enthusiasm, than from people who have nothing positive to say.