Figure Skating Biographies Recommendations | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Biographies Recommendations

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Okay I’ve made a list of all the recommendations and Second Mark and Zero Tollarance are in my amazon basket.

Thank you so much everyone for the help!

noskates

Record Breaker
I think you can still get Kurt Browning's "Forcing the Edge" on Amazon. It's an early work but it talks about how he got started in figure skating, a lot about his family and how he was raised (which definitely shows in how humble he is) and talks about the night he landed the first quad. I really enjoyed it. He also had a video out at one time called Jump.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Evgeni Plushenko Another show 2007. There are no official translate to foreigne languages but his fans translated it .

The english version https://www.mediafire.com/?6xj83pt5goijcqg - "This is not a professional translation, at some places it is quite free. And my English is not the best one. Thanks Dassska for the photos she has kindly sent me and for her and Дарина’s big help with Russian. I worked for several months with much love for those of Plushenko’s fans, who don’t understand Russian and I hope they will read the book with pleasure.
I have rarely read about such a sincere and honest person like Zhenya."

Mila( Bulgarian woman)

Plushenko's Autobiography for iPhone ( thanks to Kudryavka a Japanese woman)

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s222...&title=Plushenko%27s+Autobiography+for+iPhone

Chinese version https://yadi.sk/i/nNio5neUeMrrQ

I have Hungarian version. Do you want it? :laugh:

Worth reading very nice and interesting.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
^

Thank you!

I can’t speak Hungarian but if anyone at Golden Skate does I think it’d be great if you posted a link for them.

stella luna

Final Flight
Dorothy's biography is really good. It is so interesting to read how skaters lived and trained in the 60s and 70s. I remember Dorothy's description of practicing figures in actual sub-freezing temperatures as well as performing injured in fulfilling her obligations to the association, also remember how she felt disadvantaged coming up in the ranks against some of the rich girls in New York City.

Also, Janet Lynn's - Peace and Love, I think it was called.

The John Curry book - the one with all the black and white photos - I forget the title - was amazing both as a biography and for the photography.

Rudy Galindo's autobiography was so touching.

Also remember, "A Very Young Skater" in the Jill Krementz series, about 10-year-old Katherine Healy. Really takes you into that time and place, and again the photos are extraordinary.

A while back I bought secondhand copy of "A Very Young Dancer" by Krementz, having never heard of her series, and it was good. Fantastic photos!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can heartily second many of the books already mentioned. My favorites would be Toller's books and The Second Mark. The latter is one of the best sports books I've ever read. You get such a strong impression of what all six athletes went through to get to the 2002 Olympics, only to face the judging scandal, and it's so well-written that the epilogue made me cry.

Ravyn Rant, I want to say (belatedly) that your sentence completely captures the complexity and essence of the book.

A wonderful thing about the book is that Goodwin's style is journalistic, and I didn't get the impression she was slanting for the reader to have a particular conclusion. It's objective narration, but also very personal.