French National Championships, 14–16 December 2017 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

French National Championships, 14–16 December 2017

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Lol soooo close to a perfect 60.0 in PCS! I think only Davis/White have done it for US Nationals in 2014, right? Or is my memory fuzzy? :laugh:

And yes the score for 2nd place would have been close if it wasn't for that fall. I don't recall what are L/LG results compared to A/T this season. Did they have a better outing or not?

You're spot on about Davis/White :laugh:

Scores I think were quite comparable for both teams. Decent outings, good programs, well-skated too. At least, thanks to L/LG placing 12th last year at Euros, the 3 teams can leave for Moscow in January, that's great !

Plumededragon

Medalist
You're spot on about Davis/White :laugh:

Scores I think were quite comparable for both teams. Decent outings, good programs, well-skated too. At least, thanks to L/LG placing 12th last year at Euros, the 3 teams can leave for Moscow in January, that's great !
lol cool! :biggrin: I liked the American duo, I was happy when they won Sochi.

Oh, I forgot about that! Awesome that all 3 teams are going to Moscow!:hap93:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
lol cool! :biggrin: I liked the American duo, I was happy when they won Sochi.

I liked them so much, they were the total package and frankly, they were so trained. Overtrained, Meryl&Charlie level haha !

Yes that's great for the ID teams, I hope they can get 3 spots for next year too !

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I really hope so. No offense to the other team, of course, but A/T would really deserve it. And I believe the experience will help them grow.

Why would they deserve it over L/LG (if she has citizenship)? I like both teams, but L/LG have been a bit ahead all season.

French Masters: L/LG (160.41), A/T (158.38)

CS Autumn Classic: L/LG (149.34)
CS Ondrej Nepela: A/T (140.86)

Cup of Nice:L/LG (153.38), A/T (151.94)

GP Russia: L/LG (147.19)
GP China: A/T (144.90)
GP NHK: L/LG (157.62)
GP France: A/T (155.55)

French Nationals: L/LG (163.94), A/T (159.80)

The two teams are fairly close, but L/LG are 3:0 head to head, and have higher CS scores and GP scores. If A/T go because Marie-Jade doesn't have citizenship, that's fine, and great experience for them, but if Marie-Jade can go, L/LG deserve the spot.

Nirti

Medalist
Papadakis/Cizeron

James/Cipres

Besseghier

officially selected for Olympic Games and approved by National Olympic Committee

http://espritbleu.franceolympique.com/espritbleu/actus/7322-premire-slection-pour-pyeongchang-.html

No mention of Lady and second Ice Dance couple. I guess they will be decided later.

It looks like the lady and the 2nd dance team will be chosen after the Euros... On TV someone (Katia Krier I think?) said that they will decide on sunday just after the French Nats and if there's still a doubt, after the Euros... But they hoped not to have to decide so late, just 3 weeks before OG... :scratch2:

That's a bit unfair for Maé-Bérénice, she beat Laurine 3 times this season (Master's, Bompard and Nats) and reached the best scores. The gap is not huge but enough.

For Ice dancing, as SnowWhite said, Lauriault/Le Gac deserve the OG spot, of course if she gets the french citizenship.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
That's a bit unfair for Maé-Bérénice, she beat Laurine 3 times this season (Master's, Bompard and Nats) and reached the best scores. The gap is not huge but enough.

Not just a bit, but very unfair for Mae. Though a lot of people seem to assess that Laurine has a great potential to get much higher scores if her consistency gets stable.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker

I'm guessing that they had pretty much decided on Laurine after she had such an amazing performance at Euros last year, and then were surprised that she's in a slump this season. Maé-Bérénice has had a comeback season, but it's clear that Laurine has higher scoring potential if she hits. (But I don't know with this seasons programs... [emoji43] I'm so frustrated first that they chose those programs for an Olympic year, when last year's were SO GOOD, and then that the coaches retooled her FS and sent her really unprepared to the IdF. What a shame.)

Also, yes, Laurine's FS is bad, but Meite's is also bad... maybe even worse. The concept is so poorly executed and the "costume change" needs to be fixed. She seemed embarrassed performing it. [emoji22]

I'm sure it's a very hard decision. Good luck to both ladies and all of Team France.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Mae earned her spot this season. If she doesn't do well at Euros vs Laurine, people will say "better send Laurine", but Mae did better at every other event against her. So I don't know why the hesitation.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Mae earned her spot this season. If she doesn't do well at Euros vs Laurine, people will say "better send Laurine", but Mae did better at every other event against her. So I don't know why the hesitation.

I'm sure y'all know where I stand on Laurine. She's my favorite skater. Still, I will be really happy if Maé-Bérénice gets the spot, and I will be rooting for Team France in all disciplines no matter what! But I don't think it's strange that they are waiting to decide on the Ladies spot.

They may take into account that Laurine earned the spot at Worlds last year. They also probably have in mind that Laurine's PB is 188, which was reached less than a year ago, while Maé-Bérénice's PB is 174, and that was almost four years ago. Everyone is now wondering if Laurine's success was just the stars momentarily aligning, or if she will have more success of that caliber in the future. On the other hand, it seems pretty clear that (even with this year's comeback) Maé-Bérénice has already plateaued. All of this makes for a good case for Laurine, considering the French Fed knows there is 99% no hope for a medal in this discipline.

All that being said, I agree that Maé-Bérénice has beaten Laurine fair and square so far this season. (Although, if you take into account each skater's first Grand Prix event (where they did not compete against one another), Laurine scored 166 at Skate Canada and Maé-Bérénice scored 160 Rostelecom Cup.) Also, Maé-Bérénice has been to the Olympics before so she has the experience.

I can see the French Fed giving either one the spot, as there are pros and cons on both sides, and Maé-Bérénice's margins of victory haven't been substantial enough.

Andrea82

Medalist
A few days ago Lauriault/Le Gac posted on IG that the second Ice Dance spot will be decided after Euros.

Hmmm...no time for vacation 😅🇫🇷 European Figure Skating Championship 2018 are coming: last step of selection for Olympic Games!! #roadtopyongchang2018 #teamauvergnerhonealpes #jacksonfamily #teamfrance #epmiss

I think it's one of the first times they mention the Olympics. Does it suggest she got citizenship or think she will get it?