Hawayek and Baker out of Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hawayek and Baker out of Worlds

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm very disappointed Kaitlin and Jean-Luc won't be able to compete at Worlds but I support them in their decision to heal fully and completely. Perhaps they could decide to keep their FD for next season. It is exceptionally moving and beautiful. Best wishes to them both in this difficult time.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most of you know that I am a big fan of this team. I've called them "criminally underscored." They're one of my favorites.

But you know I'm also a believer in the absolute criticality of US Nationals in determining the World Team. USFSA should have named C/P during the team announcement and been done with it.

My statement has nothing to do with my admiration for H/B, and it doesn't mean I don't think H/B did the right thing by withdrawing.

It would have been fairer to C/P and I think it might have even been better for H/B to recover without the pressure of World's (and whatever procedures were in place for USFSA to monitor their progress) hanging over them.

What's done is done. I wish them a speedy and healthy return to the ice, and I also wish for their personal peace and happiness.

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Directly from Kaitlin's Insta account.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so impressed by Kaitlin, I had no idea of all the health challenges she faced and I applaud her for calling out the myth of “toughing it out”

Glad to see we’ve made at least some progress from back in my day when playing the game, no matter what, was seen as some sort of virtue.

rain

Record Breaker
Directly from Kait's Insta account.

Yet another skater with a severe concussion that experienced ongoing symptoms that included mental health struggles. The possible impacts of a concussion really cannot be overstated and we're only just starting to learn about them — even how they can be cumulative. I think too often the affects on mental health are brushed aside as "all in their head", when it's really part of the brain injury.

I cannot help but think of Julianne Seguin and Gabby Daleman as well. I wonder how many others there are in our sport than we ever hear about.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Kaitlin mentioned post-concussion problems. I had a traumatic brain injury (TBI) thirty years ago. Every TBI is different, of course, but I feel for her injury and her journey back. Nobody else can see what she is going through or dealing with. My neurologist told me that injured nerves can take an astonishingly long time to heal from injury and inflammation. Some will never heal and all you can do is learn to work around the pain and disability and live with it. A hard journey and a long one. Probably a lifelong one. Take care of yourself, Kaitlin! Best wishes to you and JeanLuc!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yet another skater with a severe concussion that experienced ongoing symptoms that included mental health struggles. The possible impacts of a concussion really cannot be overstated and we're only just starting to learn about them — even how they can be cumulative. I think too often the affects on mental health are brushed aside as "all in their head", when it's really part of the brain injury.

I cannot help but think of Julianne Seguin and Gabby Daleman as well. I wonder how many others there are in our sport than we ever hear about.

Concussions ended the career of one of my favorite skaters, Joshua Farris.

I miss his skating very much, but I'm glad he was wise enough to know when to move on.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hope to see them back again next year and that they will feel renewed and recharged after taking time for themselves, mentally and physically.

I'm really glad I got to see them at Skate America and I hope they keep their FD next season.

yesterday

Record Breaker

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I was lucky enough to see them compete at Montpellier Worlds last year - their free dance was my favourite in a field that was stacked with amazing programmes. They frequently seem to be bafflingly underscored, unfortunately.

I'm really impressed with their strength in making this decision, and hope they continue to do what's best for them. Purely selfishly, I also hope they decide to continue, and come back refreshed and recovered.

slider11

Medalist
I am disappointed in not seeing them at Worlds but totally supportive of the decision. I applaud the maturity this takes.

I'm also wondering if they are considering a complete reboot-maybe a coaching change and return to the US so that they are closer to family and can work. I think they needed the weeks between Nationals and now to fully accept that they could not return this season. I like that both Kaitlin and Jean-Luc seem on the same page emotionally although that may be hard to detect beyond the writings on Instagram etc. But I hope that is the case and I hope their journey continues next season.

This puts alot of pressure on Green and Parsons to place in the top 10 unless Chock and Bates win, which is entirely possible. Pressure is a privilege!

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I am disappointed in not seeing them at Worlds but totally supportive of the decision. I applaud the maturity this takes.

I'm also wondering if they are considering a complete reboot-maybe a coaching change and return to the US so that they are closer to family and can work. I think they needed the weeks between Nationals and now to fully accept that they could not return this season. I like that both Kaitlin and Jean-Luc seem on the same page emotionally although that may be hard to detect beyond the writings on Instagram etc. But I hope that is the case and I hope their journey continues next season.

This puts alot of pressure on Green and Parsons to place in the top 10 unless Chock and Bates win, which is entirely possible. Pressure is a privilege!
I'd love it if they came to skate for the UK! And switch coaches - Carol Lane? There's a second UK dance team space after all....Come on Jean-Luc - you know you want to reclaim your Lancashire heritage!

noskates

Record Breaker
Well in my humble opinion, if Chock and Bates retire after this season and if Kaitlin and Jean Luc can get their health back - they are the No.1 team in the US. I don't see them changing countries and I don't know why they would change coaches. This pair has been underscored, again IMO, for several years now. They are exciting, dramatic, entertaining and I do hope they continue here.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Well in my humble opinion, if Chock and Bates retire after this season and if Kaitlin and Jean Luc can get their health back - they are the No.1 team in the US. I don't see them changing countries and I don't know why they would change coaches. This pair has been underscored, again IMO, for several years now. They are exciting, dramatic, entertaining and I do hope they continue here.
I don't in all honesty see them changing countries either - but it's nice to dream!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Wishing a full recovery to Kaitlin (and Jean-Luc)! Taking extended time off from competitions and social media sounds like a good idea. I hope they get the treatment they need, and can take up (/again) what they enjoy doing. They're a talented pair. I am reminded of Chris Knierim having had to quit because of severe health issues, but wishing the best for Hawayek/Baker. Each skater is different.