Hittin' the boards... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hittin' the boards...

concorde

Medalist
At least in my area, most rinks have both a NHL and Olympic rink so skaters get used to practicing on both sizes of rinks.

I believe most IJS competitions are held on Olympic rinks; the 6.0 competitions are typically held on NHL rinks.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'd always wondered about this--why do many skaters jump so close to the boards? Too much hesitation/set-up/transitions going into the jumps? Doesn't it look better to the audience (not to mention being less hazardous) to jump near the middle of the rink?

I think it has to do with:
a) adding transitions builds more points
b) needing more time to build speed/strength to do a jump
c) if there is a screw-up, edges, rotations - lack of, seem to be less obvious in the corner vs. in the middle of the ice

mskater93

Record Breaker
I'd always wondered about this--why do many skaters jump so close to the boards? Too much hesitation/set-up/transitions going into the jumps? Doesn't it look better to the audience (not to mention being less hazardous) to jump near the middle of the rink?

Because everything should be spread out choreographically. Also, how many people on here were complaining about Tuktamysheva's old layouts where she didn't cover the ice?

peg

Medalist
no, that would be actually jumping over the boarders =D
you cover it all, and even some area outside the rink =D

Or jumping through the opening and into the TV camera pit in Midori Ito fashion ;)

mousepotato

On the Ice
Skating on an NHL rink is something most skaters around the world despise since anyone outside of the US or Canada is skating on an Olympic size rink. It's easy expand your choreography, it's not so easy to reign it in. Weeks before a competition on an NHL rink, skaters have to block off the ice they can't use.

K/S lost a lift after hitting the boards that dropped them in the standings since they got no credit. There have been several discussions by skaters to force all competitions to Olympic size rinks.

K/S hitting the board at the WC 2013

https://youtu.be/RGDBthWjoWE?t=270

In contrast, here is the same lift a the EC in Zagreb

https://youtu.be/0nM25rGI24I?t=275

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Did Gracie frequently hit the boards before this season? It seem to be a prominent problem in almost every competition this season.

Iscariot

On the Ice
Reading the title the first thing I thought was Midori Ito 1991 Worlds!, that Luuuuuuuuuuuuutz

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Patrick Chan smashed into the boards here... is it bad that I found this one kind of funny. :slink:

https://youtu.be/tR3NG7FpkZ8?t=64

LOL that's hilarious! Poor Patrick, such a nice quad then he does the next jump in the combo and OW!

There was a funny video of Daisuke Takahashi and his coach in the Kiss and Cry watching Patrick skating and falling which was also pretty funny they were like: :eek:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hee. Do you have a link? Never seen that and would love to!

Sadly no, I forgot which competition it was and I think it was just somebody filming it with their camera phone. It's a shame because it's pretty funny, if I ever come across it again I'll post a link!