Hungary withdraws from hosting 2024 European Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Hungary withdraws from hosting 2024 European Championships

Ivana

On the Ice
Both Bratislava and Ostrava would be interesting for me as it's just 4-5 hours away for me by train... hmmm... and I've never been to Ostrava. Considered going the year they hosted EC, checked out hotel prices, and noped out quickly in favor of Finlandia where I got better value and a wider selection for my money. But perhaps things have changed since then.
It's funny, because for me it's the other way around, the prices in Finland (tickets, hotel, airfare) whenever I check them are ridiculous so I always opt out from Finlandia or GP when Finland hosts it for that reason. I've attended the Ostrava EC, found a great hotel where I'd gladly return again, the venue was ok, the only nightmare was the public transportation after the competition, not the organizers fault but something they could definitely work on. I'd be happy if Bratislava could step in the EC was great and it's just an hour train ride for me, but I very much doubt they would on such a short notice, the federation is already mingling around with the timing of Nepela Memorial 2023, despite being scheduled for last week in September on ISU calendar, there are some indications that it will take place in first week of October, colliding with Finlandia.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
no-one in Germany gives a damn about figure skating. Nobody really cares about track and field either and the European Championship or whatever it was they held in Munich last year was apparently very successful. So why not give it a try?

sparkle400

Rinkside
Would love for it to be the UK. I went to the ladies free program at the worlds in Birmingham in 94. Great experience

JimR

On the Ice
I suppose it can always be held somewhere at last minute, but this is a great setback for skating in Europe.

I'm not sure the reasons entirely make sense because a F1 race is due to go ahead in August and that is funded by the state at a great loss in the millions if not tens of millions each year. An F1 race would be much more of a security risk than a regional figure skating tournament in a country where it is niche sport at best.

Weathergal

Medalist
I suppose it can always be held somewhere at last minute, but this is a great setback for skating in Europe.

I'm not sure the reasons entirely make sense because a F1 race is due to go ahead in August and that is funded by the state at a great loss in the millions if not tens of millions each year. An F1 race would be much more of a security risk than a regional figure skating tournament in a country where it is niche sport at best.
It's certainly a shame that Hungary can't host the competition for whatever reason. With all the turmoil in the federation at the moment, I could understand if, combined with the other reasons they mentioned, if the organizers thought it was just too much for them at this time.

But I don't think it's a "great setback for skating in Europe." Now if in a few months no other European city steps up to host, then it would be concerning. But I think there's actually some cause for cautious optimism about European skating with the rise of pairs in Italy, ice dance in Czechia, the rise of Matteo Zanni's and Mauricio Margaglio's ID groups, the level of Men's skating in Europe, and more.

I'm hoping for the best not just because I enjoy many of these skaters but also more importantly because of what all these unique skaters and countries bring to the sport as a whole.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Sheffield has been allocated Euros in 2026, I think the previous time the UK had it was 2012?
Yes, that's true. Sheffield has recent form in hosting an event that another country has withdrawn from at the last minute.

It would be fantastic if Sheffield did a Talinn and hosted two major figure skating events in close succession!

pesto

On the Ice
I went to Sheffield 2012 and it was well attended.

The ticketing for the GP was a shambles, as well as expensive.

When the tickets first came out, they almost immediately seemed to be sold out for all but the least interesting day.

Then, a lot later, they released the ones they'd been holding back, but it was too late by then, I'd already resigned myself to not going and had other plans.

InaPinto

Spectator
Why not an opportunity for Switzerland ?
They have organized the competition once every ~10 years. Last time in 2011. And they have now great skaters from Zürich and surroundings !

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
We have applicants to offer a jump-in:
- Warsaw
- Kaunas
- Sofia

Out of those, Warsaw and Sofia offer the same time slot that Budapest was supposed to be (jan 22-28), whereas Kaunas offers either the week of jan 8-15 or the week of jan 29-feb 04. Idk what or if impact that may have on the application, but the earlier date may end up interfering with or predating some nationals unless those would be rescheduled.

Last edited:

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
afai remember (please do correct me if I'm wrong), Lithuania has never hosted Euros before, so Kaunas could be a cool newbie 🙂

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
We have applicants to offer a jump-in:
- Warsaw
- Kaunas
- Sofia

Out of those, Warsaw and Sofia offer the same time slot that Budapest was supposed to be (jan 22-28), whereas Kaunas offers either the week of jan 8-15 or the week of jan 29-feb 04. Idk what or if impact that may have on the application, but the earlier date may end up interfering with or predating some nationals unless those would be rescheduled.

Nothing against Warsaw (hosted Europeans in 1908 and 2007) or Kaunas (Lithuania has never hosted an ISU Championship), but I think the right thing to do would be to award it to Sofia (hosted Europeans in 1991 and 1996). After all, they applied for it in the original bidding process.

And my opinion on this has nothing to do with the fact that I will be "adopting" a Bulgarian skater over the summer! :p

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Nothing against Warsaw (hosted Europeans in 1908 and 2007) or Kaunas (Lithuania has never hosted an ISU Championship), but I think the right thing to do would be to award it to Sofia (hosted Europeans in 1991 and 1996). After all, they applied for it in the original bidding process.

And my opinion on this has nothing to do with the fact that I will be "adopting" a Bulgarian skater over the summer! :p

CaroLiza_fan

Actually, I've changed my mind.

I just looked at the "Championship applications for upcoming years" thread, and the PDF that @gleungc6 has linked to (and which has been updated to reflect the replacement applicants for 2024 Europeans), and Sofia has put in applications for both Euros and Junior Worlds in 2027, but Kaunas hasn't applied for anything else.

So, perhaps it would be better to let Lithuania have the honour of hosting it's first ISU Championship in 2024, and let Sofia wait a few years to host it's EIGHTH ISU Championship (2 Europeans, 5 Junior Worlds).

CaroLiza_fan

ChristineB

On the Ice
Actually, I've changed my mind.

I just looked at the "Championship applications for upcoming years" thread, and the PDF that @gleungc6 has linked to (and which has been updated to reflect the replacement applicants for 2024 Europeans), and Sofia has put in applications for both Euros and Junior Worlds in 2027, but Kaunas hasn't applied for anything else.

So, perhaps it would be better to let Lithuania have the honour of hosting it's first ISU Championship in 2024, and let Sofia wait a few years to host it's EIGHTH ISU Championship (2 Europeans, 5 Junior Worlds).

CaroLiza_fan
It would be cool if Lithuania got it, but I think they would need to go with the later date option. It sounds like it could become a logistical nightmare if they have it in early January, with all of the Nationals going on.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It would be cool if Lithuania got it, but I think they would need to go with the later date option. It sounds like it could become a logistical nightmare if they have it in early January, with all of the Nationals going on.
Agree. And also it means the TES minimums must have earlier deadline, so there may not be enough competitions for those skaters who are close. Many countries probably have already scheduled their nats and for example in Finland even we have plenty of arenas everywhere, we have also plenty of hockey teams everywhere and FS must be scheduled between hockey.

Amei

Record Breaker
Kaunas it is 8-14 January 2024

If there is one option that is a nightmare for all involved, skaters, fans, etc. trust ISU to pick it.

Well considering their issues last year with finding GP hosts did they have other options? Beggars can't be choosers.