ISU Statement on Safety at Worlds | Page 6 | Golden Skate

ISU Statement on Safety at Worlds

Country
Norway
You clearly seem very protective of any critical questions because it seems you were somehow involved. You spent a lot and time and energy on the event, so it´s completely understandable that it somehow feels unfair for outsiders who wasn´t there to come to judge the event. No, I wasn´t there. I´m sure you and others did your best and saw all the good stuff happening. Everything was probably with the best intentions, but the virus doesn´t care of good intentions.

We outsiders also have good intentions worrying about the skaters health.

It´s absolutely fascinating how you can be so sure that nobody will test positive after and that those who have covid won´t be severe sick. They could have gotten the virus like yesterday or today. You can´t know how the symptoms will develop in the next days. Of course this is the narrative we all hope for, but we can´t be sure. Statistically those participants who have Covid most likely won´t need ICU, but the average time before infected needs ICU is 10 days from symptom debut, so you don´t know the outcome yet. Also the B117 variant is much more severe to younger people, there are people down in the 20s being admitted to the hospitals, so this is no joke. Also participants can be coaches and teams who are older. You can´t know who will be severe sick and who won´t, so excusing that the lack of ICU-beds is no problem just because they didn´t need it, it´s simply not good enough when you host a big event like this.

And no, the guidelines for the gala says that you can only WD from medical reasons, or you will be barred for comp. in 60 days: https://twitter.com/NoQuarNoWorlds/status/1375857448896983040/photo/1

It seems very much mandatory to me.

Last edited:

Max_Power

Rinkside
We won't know for two weeks whether Worlds was a superspreader (or spreader) event or not. And if attendees choose to be silent about infections that they may develop, we may never know.

All we know is ... so far, so good.
I go with that, and how many sport events have been super spreader events? And where do we draw the line ? 5 infections, 50, 500?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I go with that, and how many sport events have been super spreader events? And where do we draw the line ? 5 infections, 50, 500?
Well, there was this "friendly" curling competition in Edmonton, Alberta where a bunch of Doctors got infected, then went home to their practices. In the end, there were 54 infections among the 73 attendees and no deaths.

How serious an spreader event is depends not only on how many people are infected, it depends on what they do afterward. If 5 people who are infected with one of the new mutations travel to 5 different locations where they eventually infect 20 other people apiece, then yes, it's serious. If they isolate and don't infect anyone else, then it's not so bad. How many deaths would you consider "not too bad"? How many ICU admissions? How many hospitalizations? For me, the answer to all of the above is zero. Anything bigger than zero is too many.

Max_Power

Rinkside
Well, there was this "friendly" curling competition in Edmonton, Alberta where a bunch of Doctors got infected, then went home to their practices. In the end, there were 54 infections among the 73 attendees and no deaths.

How serious an spreader event is depends not only on how many people are infected, it depends on what they do afterward. If 5 people who are infected with one of the new mutations travel to 5 different locations where they eventually infect 20 other people apiece, then yes, it's serious. If they isolate and don't infect anyone else, then it's not so bad. How many deaths would you consider "not too bad"? How many ICU admissions? How many hospitalizations? For me, the answer to all of the above is zero. Anything bigger than zero is too many.
congratulations, you found one tiny event out of hundreds being held.

you can get angry about the event if a superspread would happen, not before. there will never be a zero, as there has never been a zero before.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
congratulations, you found one event out of hundreds being held.

you can get angry about the event if a superspread would happen, not before. there will never be a zero, as there has never been a zero before.
I didn't "find" that event, I already knew about it. I'm sure there are many, many more. Just cause you don't know about something or want to know about it, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Its not like they stopped wearing it all the time...if it doenst rain will you carry an umbrealla? If you sit in your car and dont drive are you wearing the seatbelt? It has been conducted safely...because it didnt turn out a superspreader event and the case rate was way below average.
Stupidest comparison I've ever seen. When it's raining, I carry a so called "umbrealla." When COVID is a thing, I wear a mask. It just so happens that COVID is currently a thing, so masks should be worn; I don't know why I have to explain basic common sense, but here we are.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Did you guys just keep engaging? :laugh: Good that Punk'd went off air, would hate to know you'd be on it ;)

Max_Power

Rinkside
Stupidest comparison I've ever seen. When it's raining, I carry a so called "umbrealla." When COVID is a thing, I wear a mask. It just so happens that COVID is currently a thing, so masks should be worn; I don't know why I have to explain basic common sense, but here we are.
There is not a 100 percent need to wear masks when you are in a controlled safe environment...so in exceptional cases like skaters performances...where they and the people involved earn their living....they should be allowed to take of the mask without any bickering from anyone

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I was a still reader until now, but I cant take this anymore.

Why are you that rude? What is wrong to throw this rude opinions and attack the event and organizers.? The event is over, the bubble has worked. Yes there were 3 cases but among over 3000 tests its nothing compared to the normal positve cases.

If you are in a bubble and are tested frequently you CAN have closer contact, because everyone is tested and negative.
And yes you can do team numbers without mask because again EVERYONE involved is NEGATIVE

Do you know that the virus can only be spread if somebody has the virus inside the bubble...it's not coming in by plane oder taxi.

Are you a scientist, doctor or virologist and have the knowledge to know it better than the experts in Stockholm? Yes! there are experts involved.

Please get over it and accept that it was a successfull event.

Because it has been proven in other sports that athletes have tested positive AFTER 7 days arrival. AFTER. Upon arrival was tested negative. Which means about the time of gala because ISU did not want impose quarantine.
Fortunately, badminton did a 7 day quarantine in Jan 2021. The positive tests were after 7 days. If not for quarantine, far would have tested positive.

Secondly, these skaters could from the posters country, hence the concern. The same concerns are shown towards other Olympic sports, in fact, MORE, because its for Tokyo Olympics this year. If anything happens to the athletes, it could end of medal hopes.
So, figure skating is not special in this regards.

3rd, for many of us, esp in Asia Pacific region, Covid related rules are far more stringent. Seriously.
Reports are also more detailed -> for instance my country's Ministry of Health reports new workplace clusters everyday. Everyday. Despite the rules(more stringent than Sweden for sure) .Then there are reports on how it spread from patient zero.

So, we know how easily it can spread. Even with vaccines.

Therefore, you cannot fault that forumer for being appalled. Even non skating fans are appalled.

Wait till the skaters get home, quarantine & hopefully nobody else tests positive.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
There is not a 100 percent need to wear masks when you are in a controlled safe environment...so in exceptional cases like skaters performances...where they and the people involved earn their living....they should be allowed to take of the mask without any bickering from anyone
This is not an accurate assumption.
Masks are mandatory in public places in my country. No mask its a $1,500 fine.
Masks are also mandatory in the workplace. Even then, even with diligent use of sanitizers, social distancing, no touching, people have contracted the virus. New workplace clusters still appear every day.
Because they work in a closed environment, ie breathe the same air for hours.

As I understand it, the skaters are in a bubble but not exactly the same bubble since they are from so many different countries. They are close contact with different set of people.

Amei

Record Breaker
This is not an accurate assumption.
Masks are mandatory in public places in my country. No mask its a $1,500 fine.
Masks are also mandatory in the workplace. Even then, even with diligent use of sanitizers, social distancing, no touching, people have contracted the virus. New workplace clusters still appear every day.
Because they work in a closed environment, ie breathe the same air for hours.

As I understand it, the skaters are in a bubble but not exactly the same bubble since they are from so many different countries. They are close contact with different set of people.

The skaters also had to underdgo multiple covid tests, sure there is a chance of a false negative but multiple is unlikely

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I would not be surprised to read something like "skater X" was the only one who wore a mask in a public restroom". Come on folks, there are much more interesting things in life than following who wears masks and who don't. Moreover soon the topic will be over at least in Russia as Putin said that all the coronavirus related rules may be lifted during the summer. Then no one will wear a mask on a plane.

Country
Norway
I ment it the most positive way, as the Russian skaters usually doesn´t care about mask unless it´s a requirement. It´s fine to see someone use it.

It´s fine you are staying positive, but several European countries are now in the middle of the third wave and hospitals are on the verge. It´s not fun and nothing nobody should take easy on. Vaccination are going to slow in most countries, and there is lack of qualified health workers.

Experts have warned against believing we can live the before in a few months times. I´m sorry, but mask on the plane will probably be required for a long time.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ Wearing a mask around strangers is a common courtesy and the easiest thing one can do to prevent infecting someone. If it's that hard for someone to show basic courtesy which is, moreover, required by the rules they agreed to obey, then maybe they should have re-considered attending.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
The skaters also had to underdgo multiple covid tests, sure there is a chance of a false negative but multiple is unlikely
So did the badminton players in Jan 2021. They were tested every 3 days. Positive tests only showed up AFTER 7 days arrival. They could have contracted it back home before they flew out.
At least Badminton Thailand or rather Thailand government had the foresight to insist on 7 day quarantine.

There is a reason why countries have mandatory 14 day quarantine after arrival. I am sure your respective Ministry of Health have explained the reason months ago.
There was no quarantine for 2021 WC.

Last edited:

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I would not be surprised to read something like "skater X" was the only one who wore a mask in a public restroom". Come on folks, there are much more interesting things in life than following who wears masks and who don't. Moreover soon the topic will be over at least in Russia as Putin said that all the coronavirus related rules may be lifted during the summer. Then no one will wear a mask on a plane.
That's Russia. Come over to Asia & try that stunt. You do it in my country, its MYR1,500(ard USD$350) fine on the spot. No social distancing also fined on the spot.
Ministry of Health constantly issuing reminders - follow SOP, social distance, etc.

Any organiser dare to flout protocols, its immediate shutdown.

Perhaps this is why we dont have ICU rooms full of patients here.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's Russia. Come over to Asia & try that stunt. You do it in my country, its MYR1,500(ard USD$350) fine on the spot. No social distancing also fined on the spot.
Ministry of Health constantly issuing reminders - follow SOP, social distance, etc.

Any organiser dare to flout protocols, its immediate shutdown.

Perhaps this is why we dont have ICU rooms full of patients here.

Eaglehelang, this is off topic somewhat, but I had a friend who visited your country for a church conference (last year, right at the start of the pandemic and before travel restrictions) and was very impressed with the safety protocols and how seriously it was taken.

I am not against holding events if protocols are enforced. I have some faith that Japan will enforce the protocols appropriate to their country and I would like to see someone try to say in Japan, well, that's not how we do it at home. :)